1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I am in need of Advice. What are my chances? What should I do? ...

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by LittleBun, Jan 3, 2009.

1. LittleBun

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Here are my stats:

1. MCAT: 28R (10 B, 10 P, 8 V)
    2. cGPA: 3.6
    3. sGP: 3.3

ECs: I have experience in research for more than four years now in different departments, but all bio-related (anthropology, integrative bio, psychiatry at ucsf, and at a hospital). I am currently working in an NIH study as a clinical research coordinator. I have 2 doctors who have agreed to write me letters or rec from this study. I am currently volunteering at the county hospital and shadowing.

I do not know if I should retake the MCATs, while balancing out this job (requiring 40 hrs. a week). A counselor said it is not safe and that I should look into a post-bac program.

But a part of me wants to apply to the med programs this year. I would really aim low. I wouldn't apply to Harvard, Johns Hopkins,...etc. I just want to get into ONE MD program in the U.S.

What should I do? Should I retake the MCAT? (which would be my 3rd time) Should I look into a post-bac program?

#1 LittleBun, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you have a forgiving state school, you might be fine to apply this coming summer. Where do you live and pay state taxes?

I don't think you need a formal post-bac program, as your cGPA is too high. At most, you could consider taking some additional upper-level science courses on your own at a local university to get your BCPM GPA up some more. Even that might be overkill, if your last year or two of science classes had all A grades. (You could look on your AMCAS printout and let us know what the trend has been over four years.)

4. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    the good news is that your MCAT score is high enough to beat the cut offs many schools use. The bad news is that your MCAT score might prevent some schools from giving you a shot -- but you won't know until you throw your hat in the ring. This process is so random. Like Mobius said, apply to your state schools, some schools in your range and maybe one or two dream schools & hope for the best. Make sure everything else in your app is amazing (apply EARLY, great PS & secondary essays, as much clinical experience as you can squeeze in between now and then) and you should get at least 1 or 2 acceptances.

5. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No on MCAT retake - if you have taken it 2 times already, I can only assume that the 28 represents your best effort (and not a compilation of the best sector scores, right? Because that is not how they look at it...).

IMO the only justification for a retake is if you scored considerably worse on a single sitting AFTER scoring consistently better on a series of practice exams - for example, you had consistently scored in the mid 30s on practice exams and never below, say, 32, before getting the 28...then I might suggest a retake.

You need to raise your BCPM GPA with an informal post bacc...make As in some upper level science classes - or if you are good at math, take some math classes...

Final thought: your chances will be greatly affected by your state of residence. If on the one extreme you live in CA, you are in big trouble, but if you live in a state like LA or MS where there is significantly less competition for instaters, your numbers could be adequate...

6. LittleBun

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for your advice!

I live in California and I went to Berkeley. So state schools...I don't think would be that forgiving.

My aim schools would be out of state, like NYMC.

I did the excel spreadsheet on the other thread, and about a little less than half of the schools were "Hopeful" and a couple of "Go For It"s. So I agree with most of you that I really don't know what my chances are. But I will definitely apply this cycle in 2009.

7. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry about CA, but Berkeley is a plus.

I highly recommend that you apply to VCU and EVMS in Virginia - they are state schools, but I can't tell you how many MDApps I have read where a California resident with your kind of numbers applies to 30 schools and gets into only one or two, and VCU and EVMS are the most likely ones.

Next, you should look very closely at Creighton and SLU...very forgiving on stats, and because of their less than clamored for midwestern locations, these schools are overlooked by east and west coasters...

Good luck.

8. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you're from California, retaking the MCAT is back on the table as a way to improve your application. Any chance you could get that verbal score up three points? It would make a huge difference in your chances for a successful application cycle. Why not cruise through SDN's MCAT subforum, the read advice and strategies offered, and see what you think. Alternatively, when you apply, broaden your chances by applying to DO schools as well. Looking through the Pre-Osteopathic subforum can educate you on the similiarities and differences.

All that said, I'd include UIllinois and Rosalind Franklin among your midwest MD school choices. Both love Californians.