I am New here!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodmonster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I need your advice!
I'm currently a second year at a CC in boston,ma. I want to go to med school right after graduation or a few years of working experiences. I will be transferring in 2011 spring to Northeastern University's evening program majoring Health Science. (less competitive). I teach adult ESL classes at a community service place once a week for 2-3hours. (volunteer) No clinical experiences yet. I work in a fast-food restaurant plus my school's library as a assistant to support myself. Do you think i need to volunteer more? How can i get some leadership skills?

My current GPA at my CC is about 3.3 I think I will get something like
3.5 > after one more semester at the CC. I know i can do better than this!!!

help! What can i do to enhance my application in the coming years?

THX!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN:

1) Keep raising your GPA.
2) Start gaining clinical experience by volunteering 2-4 hours weekly at a hospital, clinic, nursing home, or hospice where you'll have direct patient contact.
3) If you switch one of your jobs so you are working in health care, that is another way to gain clinical experience. As you get some contact with doctors, you might ask them if you can shadow them in their office/work place, but there's no rush to do that anytime soon.
4) Teaching experience as a volunteer covers Community Service expectations (and Teaching), so continue with it.
5) If you have client contact in the fast food job, that is valuable too, as you are gaining important people skills.
6) After transferring to the 4-year college, look for research opportunities.
7) Leadership means taking on responsibility and could include training new workers in one of your jobs, being elected to an officer position in a group, taking on organizational responsibilty for the ESL volunteers, etc.