I am not making this up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You think it's tough having to explain what a DO school is?
Try telling people that you're interested in specializing in OMM...

I met with a DO the other day and when he told me some funny incidents when he first was starting (which was 30 years ago):
He went to get his ID and the guy taking his picture said, "So, would you like me to include these letters after your name or should I leave it out?" :laugh:

Also, his name is Dr. Myra and a lot of his patients back then thought his name was Dr. Myrado haha. He also got called Dr. Do a lot because people had no idea what the abbreviation was. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just tell people you're going to be a doctor and leave it at that.

I guess nyit/NSU / mSU / oklahama state fit that bill.
Outside of academia and well-educated circles, names like NYIT, OSU, and NSU don't carry much weight. The general public doesn't know NYMC from NYIT from Stony Brook from SUNY. They know that Yale, Harvard, Mayo, Hopkins, etc are big deals, but not much else.

There is a doc whose name is John Do, DO. I kid you not.

Cool guy; helped us learn how to interpret urine dipstick tests.

Reactions: 3 users
Outside of academia and well-educated circles, names like NYIT, OSU, and NSU don't carry much weight. The general public doesn't know NYMC from NYIT from Stony Brook from SUNY. They know that Yale, Harvard, Mayo, Hopkins, etc are big deals, but not much else.

If you pratice close to that school tho people know it.

Is this a poop joke?
I was thinking more along the lines of this:
the_dodo_bird_by_livesteel.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Me: Yea, im applying to osteopathic medical schools
Them:*silence*
Me: Clinically, they have minimal difference when compared to MDs
Them: are you sure you're happy going down that route?
Me: *in my head* ugh, this guy......if they only knew.....

Reactions: 1 users
LMAO! Really that's all I have to say about that dialogue but you can't blame him. It's like someone telling me about fixing cars and I ask if I can just use this thing or that procedure or learn this online. I have no idea and that guy is a layman and not interested in medicine so it's a typical response.

I an currently a male ER nurse and have had a lot of patients and their families ask me "What are you going to do next? Go to school to become a doctor?". I never get asked if I am going back to school to become a nurse practitioner. Seems there is a lack of familiarity with academic tracks in the "medical field" even between nurses and physicians.

Also with everyone with a doctorate being called "doctor", I personally just refer to M.D./D.O. as physician. I am always being called doctor after I have introduced myself as nurse. People equate male with doctor and our female physicians sometimes get called nurse.

We leave fate in the hands of people who have no idea what is really going on to fill out Press Ganey surveys. Fast Track patients write on their surveys how they are outraged that they never saw a physician, just the NP. The system is flawed, but I digress.

I would rather explain to someone the difference between M.D. and D.O. than explain why I never pursued becoming a physician. It's a good annoyance to have :)

Reactions: 1 user
We leave fate in the hands of people who have no idea what is really going on to fill out Press Ganey surveys. Fast Track patients write on their surveys how they are outraged that they never saw a physician, just the NP. The system is flawed, but I digress.

This is absolutely terrifying considering insurance claims will start being paid based on this sort of thing in the very-near future.

I thought I'd add another sad/shocking anecdote:
My aunt and uncle (in-law) are both pediatricians (MD). They trained 30ish years ago and have been in a small town private practice environment for the majority of their careers.
My cousin in-law was interested in med school and asked them about the difference between DO and MD schools. They told him that MD students spend two yearse learning in clinical environments working with patients and DO schools mostly just teach from slides in classrooms for the entire four years... I have no idea where they got this idea.

They basically told him that DO schools offer second rate training due to very limited patient experience and outdated ideas and that the degree isn't respected and is very limiting. It's sad to see that some older physicians still really don't understand osteopathic medicine. It made me fairly mad too.

I also just usually say I'm going to medical school at Marian University---however, if I am being honest, I have to disagree that there is essentially no difference between the two in the public eye. There is no difference in MY eyes and so that is why I don't see the need to point it out. But in the pubic eye, the concept of DO is a confusing one.

My school has been heavily publicized in the media here in Indy being only the second medical school in the entire state...heck there is even a decent sized osteopathic hospital here in town--but I'd say most people still don't quite get it. I partially blame it on our dean as he is heavily interested in preserving our "uniqueness" from IU...so when you start throwing around terms like holistic people automatically start thinking alt med. I have to give our dean credit though, because he seems to whole heartedly believe that education does not occur in vacuum and thus has integrated and partnered with IU medicine on various occasions. For instance there is a strong collaboration in our anatomy department with IUSM and essentially our whole neuroscience block we are currently in is being handled by IU faculty and physicians. So we as students definitely benefit by his educational philosophy...but I digress...

An example I can give you is my wife was recently talking to a police officer (she's a lawyer) and when she told him I was going to medical school at Marian his response was "ohhh so what kind of doctor is he going to be then--not a medical doctor right?" She explained I would be a medical doctor and he asked follow up questions like "so if I get shot and go to the ER he would be able to treat me?".... people are just uneducated about it. Some simple attempts to accurately educate the public about DOs would most likely go a long way...but I think there will be this type of confusion for a long long time because the people who are doing the educating are confused themselves.

For instance, this news piece when my school opened was one of many--decent job, but then gets a little fumbled up at the end ...

I live in Indiana and am applying to Marian this app cycle!