Other I am not sure whether I should study PhD now? After so many failed applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangerousmind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an old graduated of MD in forties. I applied 4 years and did not match. My USMLE was 220 but old. I had internal medicine residency in one foreign country with advanced healthcare system. I am not afraid to study PhD. During past time not spent in residency, I did researches and had 2 publications about heart disease and cancer. I had one patent in optometric refraction. Will getting PhD program now help my career path? I know PhD jobs could be 170K/ year but. My enthusiastic factor for physician is 10 and PhD job is 8. I understand by the time I finish PhD and afterwards residency if I can match it in the USA, I will be mid-fifties. Can someone please kindly help me by telling me more infos? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am an old graduated of MD in forties. I applied 4 years and did not match. My USMLE was 220 but old. I had internal medicine residency in one foreign country with advanced healthcare system. I am not afraid to study PhD. During past time not spent in residency, I did researches and had 2 publications about heart disease and cancer. I had one patent in optometric refraction. Will getting PhD program now help my career path? I know PhD jobs could be 170K/ year but. My enthusiastic factor for physician is 10 and PhD job is 8. I understand by the time I finish PhD and afterwards residency if I can match it in the USA, I will be mid-fifties. Can someone please kindly help me by telling me more infos? Thank you

To be honest, if your goal is residency, I don't think a PhD is going to change your outlook other than putting you even that much further from graduation. I'm assuming that you are originally from another country, given your prior IM training. If you want to be a doctor, your option may be going back to that country. Otherwise, working with research with a residency program and getting in with them may be your only chance here.

If just having a job is your goal and you want to do a PhD for going into research full time, well, that is always an option.

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, if your goal is residency, I don't think a PhD is going to change your outlook other than putting you even that much further from graduation. I'm assuming that you are originally from another country, given your prior IM training. If you want to be a doctor, your option may be going back to that country. Otherwise, working with research with a residency program and getting in with them may be your only chance here.

If just having a job is your goal and you want to do a PhD for going into research full time, well, that is always an option.
Hi Thank you. It's even hard for me to find a research opportunity at places. Is calling around the only way to find research opportunity with any residency program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Thank you. It's even hard for me to find a research opportunity at places. Is calling around the only way to find research opportunity with any residency program?

Or potentially email. If you look at program websites, they may list research divisions and they might be able to provide an email for MDs that run labs as well.

If you want to practice clinical medicine, you can do the 3-yr MD (IMG)---> NP program at FIU. I know someone who did that and he is doing extremely well salary-wise.

The good thing about that program is that they let you take the RN board after a year, so you can at least work as a RN.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw a guy in his 50s at an ED residency program in NY

could look into this if interested. Many foreign physicians that struggle to match into residency end up in a program like this. You redo medical school (4 years) and then apply to residency as a US medical school graduate. Look into it if its something that coincides with what you are looking for. If being a physician is your dream and if you're willing to redo medical school and residency then apply. Many students in the EPP program have families and were practicing physicians for years in their home countries.

Hello,

I can understand your passion for Medicine. With your home country residency you definitely has good chances of getting residency. You can first apply for fellowships as some programs take IMGs like that through a pathway. Contact me and I will try to guide you in it. Stay strong and positive.

Reactions: 2 users

Look at opportunities on Unmatchedmd.com. They post off cycle openings. Also, some states due to COVID have had more leniency in their licensing rules - such as Arkansas, Florida, Missouri and Utah. More information can be found at the website.