MD I am not your average med school applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdawgydawg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not the average applicant because I lack so many things that other applicants have.
I regret alot that I spent my undergrad years comfortably, not pushing myself to go out and involve myself in school activities, volunteer work and research.
I mean, I have experience in volunteering and research and all of that, but I was never "committed" to those...it was all very short, temporary and I hate myself for not trying harder.
I don't have any significant work to put in my resume, I don't have hours and hours of clinical experience and so on...so it might be a long shot for me applying to med schools.
So if any pre-meds still in college are reading this, push yourself to get out of your comfort zone; you can't improve without putting yourself out there and trying, even if it means you might fail or be bad at it.
My GPA is 3.77 and MCAT is 504, but I'm taking it for the 3rd time in May.
When I go through these threads on SDN, I feel so small and I feel like I'll never make the cut.

I know that it probably isn't just me feeling discouraged or anxious because there are so many people out there who are more successful and more prepared.

Although this whole process may be a competition among us, I am going to pray that everyone of us aspiring to be a doctor and do good work for this world will be given a chance to make that dream come true.

We're going to make it.

Members don't see this ad.

So what exactly are your clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours? No research isn't a huge deal its whatever. Do good on your MCAT retake like 510+ try more like 514+ since it'll be your third time taking it. Also take a gap year and get volunteering hours? Idk what you're in a twist about. You admitted your application isn't on par with what it should be so just don't apply yet? lol

Reactions: 1 user
So what exactly are your clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours? No research isn't a huge deal its whatever. Do good on your MCAT retake like 510+ try more like 514+ since it'll be your third time taking it. Also take a gap year and get volunteering hours? Idk what you're in a twist about. You admitted your application isn't on par with what it should be so just don't apply yet? lol

Yep my sole focus for now is doing well on MCAT. You are right maybe I should take a gap year and make my application stronger.. I guess this is something I need to think about after my MCAT exam is over. I think I freaked out after reading some of the posts lol............:dead:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When are you taking the MCAT? Do you feel really prepared? Do you think by the day of the exam you will regularly be scoring at or very near your goal score? If you aren't very ready this might be another good reason for a gap year. You really want one very strong MCAT score for your application. A gap year would give you time to be very ready for the MCAT and to buff up your total application. It can only help you to be a stronger applicant next cycle and that's what you want. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

When are you taking the MCAT? Do you feel really prepared? Do you think by the day of the exam you will regularly be scoring at or very near your goal score? If you aren't very ready this might be another good reason for a gap year. You really want one very strong MCAT score for your application. A gap year would give you time to be very ready for the MCAT and to buff up your total application. It can only help you to be a stronger applicant next cycle and that's what you want. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My exam is 5/13! I feel like...I can do much better but not like 520 though... My goal is 510+.
The thing is I'm waiting for a decision right now from one school & if I get accepted I will just go to that one, but if I don't, I'll have to take a gap year.
Unfortunately I feel it'd be too late to postpone the exam date when the decisions come out.
Should I just void it...?
I'll try really hard for the next two weeks to reach for my highest score but I'm nervous

What are your suggestions for spending a gap year?

You should take the MCAT when you feel ready. And I would advise a gap year to make your app stronger and if you're set on MD ideally you need 510+. You might be fine for DO now, but what are your clinical/nonclinical hours? research hours?

So you've already applied? Where did you apply? How many interviews did you have? You have already taken the MCAT twice. One score is 504, what's the other? AMCAS encourages schools to average MCAT scores. Some do and some don't but each and every score is seen by people reviewing your file. As to how to spend a gap year, look at your application and see what needs improvement. It's hard to tell from what you've shared where you might need work. Sometimes schools will tell you why you were rejected if you ask.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

What are you getting on MCAT practice tests?

Which schools did you apply to and what is your list of activities? You got an interview so your application clearly isn't terrible.