Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I am planning on applying to CA schools, whadyathink?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by The DOC, Jun 30, 2002.

1. The DOC

The DOC Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good evening,
    I have a 3.98 GPA from UNLV, degree in Bio (chem minor) and 31 MCAT (10,10,11), 1 semester reasearch, 1 yr clinical (volunteering/shadowing), plenty of EC (intrameral sports, ect.) workin in clinical pharmacy rite now, and a white male.
    Do you guyz think i have a shot at any schools in CA?
    UC schools? thanks.
    :cool:

2. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

are you a CA resident? if not, your chances are very small if you wish to gain admission to a UC. UCSF and UCLA supposedly accept somewhere between 15-20% of their class from out of state, but those applicants are usually beyond stellar (and very often are MD/PhD). Stanford doesn't distinguish between CA and out of state residents,but I'm not sure about USC. If you are a cali resident, your chances are there.

It is really hard to say. Yes, you have a chance. I've learned that the process is random and that most people with solid numbers (like yourself) have the potential to get in anywhere. Letters of rec, the personal statement, interview skills, etc..all become very important. I don't know about these aspects of your application, so it is hard to say how you'll do. CA schools are strange. I know people with 37's and gpa's over 3.8 who didn't get into any UCs (CA residents), but I also know of a few with a 30 or so and excellent life experiences who have gotten into schools like UCLA and UCSF. But, if you aren't a CA resident, you have a better chance of getting into Stanford that you would UC Davis or UC Irvine.

3. Whisker Barrel Cortex

10+ Year Member

I'd say your chances at the UCs are not great. You have a strong app and could land a spot. You definitely have a great shot at USC. I know someone who also went to UNLV and had slightly lower GPA (3.8) and slightly higher MCATS (33)than you with no research. She go into USC. I think this will be your best shot. Obviously, make sure to apply at other schools around the country because Cali is notoriously competitive and unpredictable in their admission requirements.

4. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I would think your only shot would be at UCLA, UCSF, and USC. UCLA and SF would be slim, and USC would be a great shot. They love west coast people and you definately qualify. On my second look weekend trip, everybody there was from the west coast.

5. VQ3.5

VQ3.5 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for all the input.
    :cool: :cool: