Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I am really nervous.

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by RecyclingBinh, Jan 5, 2009.

1. RecyclingBinh

RecyclingBinh Class of 2014 hopeful!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to the site and have checked some of the posts of chances and am somewhat relieved. Please tell me of how my stats look.

3rd year undergrad with 1 semester before applying.
    cGPA: 3.4
    sGPA: 3.2

My grades are low because I had 2 C's during my freshmen year in Calculus 2 & 3. Ever since first semester my GPA/semester have gone up with no decrease. I will explain for the low GPA in my optional essay. Done with personal statement already. Got it edited by many people. I.e. Med student, doctors and 1 used to be on admissions board for Baylor.

I have done a summer medical program at UT-Houston.
    Currently doing clinical research at Baylor College of Med. Have shadowed doctors over the summer. Done many extracurricular activities some health related and some academic related. Part of Red Cross DAT team. Hospice Care for 1.5 years. worked throughout college. Summer camp counselor for disabled children.

I have not taken the MCAT yet but will soon in April. Currently taking Princeton Review and am studying at least 20+ hours per week.

Please tell me where I stand.

p.s. I live in Texas.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    A GPA of 3.4 is not very competitive, but if you get a 4.0 next semester, it would go up to a 3.5, which is still low, but within reason if you get a higher than average MCAT. Getting a good MCAT score will be important for you, so I'm glad to hear you're taking the preparation very seriously. The ECs you've mentioned sound good. Research experience is helpful to have too. Don't forget that a leadership experience is desirable as well.

If English is your second language, pay special attention to prepping for the verbal section, as it may be most difficult for you to score well on.

#2 Mobius1985, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. RecyclingBinh

RecyclingBinh Class of 2014 hopeful!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was told by a former admissions member that for Texas medical schools, if I get my GPA to a 3.3 and get a 30+ on MCAT I will get passed the screening. Is this true?

Also for the BCPM grades, does calculus 2+3 count towards it? I went straight to cal 2 from high school and screwed up big time. Got C's in both classes. Those were my only C's. Will this affect me a lot? Please advise.

5. SDN2013

SDN2013 Athens
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    can't tell you where you stand without the MCAT