I Am Scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoccerOcean80

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

It took me so long to figure out that I wanted to go to medical school and that I believe this is God's calling in my life going forward. I had a terrible first couple of years at UTampa before transferring to ASU. I have changed majors 4 times before now deciding to go into Medical Microbiology at ASU. I am also completing a psychology degree; I'm supposed to graduate in the Spring of 2019 now. I will graduate with 2 degrees; 2 bachelor of sciences, however.

I am desperate for help, I truly want to end up in medical school and going to the Caribbean; away from everyone for that long during the year is not something I'm comfortable with yet.

I will go over my grades:

UTampa (A, AB, B, BC, etc. grading scale)

1st Semester (Fall '14): 12 total credit hours
CHI 101 - Elementary Chinese I; 4.0 credit hours: Withdrawal
ECO 205 - Principles of Macroeconomics; 4.0 credit hours: D
FYW 101 - Writing & Inquiry; 4.0 credit hours: BC
GTW 101 - Gateways 1; 1.0 credit hours: (Satisfactory 1st year student requirement)
SPM 290 - Introduction to Sport Management; 3.0 credit hours: B
Semester GPA: 2.09

2nd Semester (Spring '15): 17 total credit hours
AWR 201 - Writing and Research; 4.0 credit hours: B
CRM 101 - Introduction to Criminology: C
GTW 102 - Gateways 2; 1.0 credit hours: (Satisfactory 1st year student requirement)
MAT 160 - College Algebra; 4.0 credit hours: C
REL 205 - World Religions; 4.0 credit hours: C
Semester GPA: 2.25

3rd Semester (Fall '15): 14 total credit hours
BIO 112 - Environmental Science; 3.0 credit hours: C
ECO 204 - Principles of Microeconomics; 4.0 credit hours: CD
GEO 102 - World Regional Geography; 4.0 credit hours: B
HSC 203 - Nutrition; 3.0 credit hours: C
PSY 200 - General Psychology; 4.0 credit hours: Withdrawal
Semester GPA: 2.14

4th Semester (Spring '16): 18 total credit hours
ESC 301 - Sport & Exercise Psychology; 3.0 credit hours: B
GER 101 - Elementary German I; 4.0 credit hours: B
GWA 200 - American Government; 4.0 credit hours: AB
HSC 236 - Introduction to Public Health; 3.0 credit hours: B
PHL 200 - Introduction to Philosophy; 4.0 credit hours: BC
Semester GPA: 3.0

Finish from UTAMPA with a 2.42 GPA

***Transfer To Arizona State University*** (A+, A, A-, B+, etc. grading scale)
5th Semester (Fall '16): 16 total credit hours
ASM 104 - Bones/Stones/Human Evolution w/ Lab; 4.0 credit hours: A-
HST 325 - Immigration & Ethnicity in the US; 3.0 credit hours: B-
MAT 170 - Precalculus; 3.0 credit hours: C
PSY 101 - Introduction to Psychology; 3.0 credit hours: C
SOC 334 - Technology & Society (online course); 3.0 credit hours: B
Semester GPA: 2.73

6th Semester (Spring '17 just completed): 18 total credit hours
MAT 251 - Calculus For Life Sciences; 3.0 credit hours: C+
PSY 230 - Introduction to Statistics; 3.0 credit hours: C
PSY 341 - Developmental Psychology; 3.0 credit hours: A
PSY 350 - Social Psychology (Same professor as intro last semester); 3.0 credit hours: C+
PSY 366 - Abnormal Psychology (online course); 3.0 credit hours: A+
ASB 300 - Food and Culture (online course); 3.0 credit hours: A+
Semester GPA: 3.22

Total GPA at ASU after 2 semesters: 2.99

Becoming a doctor; an orthopedic or plastic surgeon is really in my heart and what I would love to do. I know I am in the gutter as far as anyone else could ever be. I have 2 more years left before I graduate; and really next summer, a year from now is when I have to have applications in for medical school. I will apply to every medical school I can find in this country. I am determined and truly want to succeed. I am taking 14 credit hours, a full slate this summer which is 3 online courses and then the 1st chemistry. It is accelerated so it is condensed into a month. As you can see, I really have not had any science courses up to this point, just humanities, electives and things that count towards the psychology degree. I have a full slate set up for the fall which includes taking BIO, the next chemistry, and physics all in one semester as well as two other online classes. I plan to take a full slate in the Spring and hopefully next summer again as well. The way I see it, I need 3 straight 4.0 GPA semesters in order to wipe out the 1st 3 awful semesters I had at UTAMPA to around an even 3.0; good news is that I'm taking a lot more credit hours than I did there so it should end up a little higher than that. However, getting a 4.0 with my track record is not going to be easy, and it's still so hard to get into a medical school with a 3.0. I am desperate for help, people to lean on, advice, just absolutely anything. I found this site and have gone through it a lot. The situation I am in is very scary. On top of that I have other things going on, and while my career has to be #1, I met a person who I truly feel could be "the one" and the thought of that not formalizing because I have to go out of the country for medical school is frightening as well. I really want to make her, my parents and most importantly myself proud and go to medical school but my 1st couple years of college truly did me no good. I'd be so grateful for any help possible. I truly want to succeed and become one of the great doctors the world can look up to.

Thank you so much and may God bless you all.

Members don't see this ad.

"Becoming a doctor; an orthopedic or plastic surgeon is really in my heart"
What is this based on? What is your clinical or shadowing experience that has led you to this conclusion?

I agree that getting great grades in your next few terms should be your first priority. Focus on your studies and try to put aside other stresses, though it will be hard. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
When are you planning to take the science prerequisites required for medical school? That is usually 2 semesters of General Chemistry, 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry, 2 semesters of Physics, 2 semesters of Biology and one of Biochemistry. Online courses are not accepted at some schools. You also need at least 50 hours of physician shadowing and 100 hours of clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the idea of applying next summer out of your mind. You are going to need some time to get your application together. Besides working on your GPA it seems you have a lot of work to do with ECs. Oh and of course there is the MCAT which you shouldn't take until you get all of the science pre reqs done. You might be able to apply in June 2019 but don't count on it. You have a ton of work to do. Start with trying to find in person classes since many Med schools don't accept online classes. And be realistic with yourself. The chances of getting all
As for the rest of your college career are slim to none. Do the best you can and see where you are in a couple of years. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
The Caribbean diploma Mills salivate at the prospect of getting gullible deperate marks like you. You have yet to demonstrate that you could survive in medical school and therefore you are highly likely to drop out or be dismissed and never end up being a doctor, but have a massive debt.

TO demonstrate that you could handle medical school, you need one to two years of aceing a do-it-yourself post-baccalaureate or a special master's program and have a very good MCAT score as well.

Hello all,

It took me so long to figure out that I wanted to go to medical school and that I believe this is God's calling in my life going forward. I had a terrible first couple of years at UTampa before transferring to ASU. I have changed majors 4 times before now deciding to go into Medical Microbiology at ASU. I am also completing a psychology degree; I'm supposed to graduate in the Spring of 2019 now. I will graduate with 2 degrees; 2 bachelor of sciences, however.

I am desperate for help, I truly want to end up in medical school and going to the Caribbean; away from everyone for that long during the year is not something I'm comfortable with yet.

I will go over my grades:

UTampa (A, AB, B, BC, etc. grading scale)

1st Semester (Fall '14): 12 total credit hours
CHI 101 - Elementary Chinese I; 4.0 credit hours: Withdrawal
ECO 205 - Principles of Macroeconomics; 4.0 credit hours: D
FYW 101 - Writing & Inquiry; 4.0 credit hours: BC
GTW 101 - Gateways 1; 1.0 credit hours: (Satisfactory 1st year student requirement)
SPM 290 - Introduction to Sport Management; 3.0 credit hours: B
Semester GPA: 2.09

2nd Semester (Spring '15): 17 total credit hours
AWR 201 - Writing and Research; 4.0 credit hours: B
CRM 101 - Introduction to Criminology: C
GTW 102 - Gateways 2; 1.0 credit hours: (Satisfactory 1st year student requirement)
MAT 160 - College Algebra; 4.0 credit hours: C
REL 205 - World Religions; 4.0 credit hours: C
Semester GPA: 2.25

3rd Semester (Fall '15): 14 total credit hours
BIO 112 - Environmental Science; 3.0 credit hours: C
ECO 204 - Principles of Microeconomics; 4.0 credit hours: CD
GEO 102 - World Regional Geography; 4.0 credit hours: B
HSC 203 - Nutrition; 3.0 credit hours: C
PSY 200 - General Psychology; 4.0 credit hours: Withdrawal
Semester GPA: 2.14

4th Semester (Spring '16): 18 total credit hours
ESC 301 - Sport & Exercise Psychology; 3.0 credit hours: B
GER 101 - Elementary German I; 4.0 credit hours: B
GWA 200 - American Government; 4.0 credit hours: AB
HSC 236 - Introduction to Public Health; 3.0 credit hours: B
PHL 200 - Introduction to Philosophy; 4.0 credit hours: BC
Semester GPA: 3.0

Finish from UTAMPA with a 2.42 GPA

***Transfer To Arizona State University*** (A+, A, A-, B+, etc. grading scale)
5th Semester (Fall '16): 16 total credit hours
ASM 104 - Bones/Stones/Human Evolution w/ Lab; 4.0 credit hours: A-
HST 325 - Immigration & Ethnicity in the US; 3.0 credit hours: B-
MAT 170 - Precalculus; 3.0 credit hours: C
PSY 101 - Introduction to Psychology; 3.0 credit hours: C
SOC 334 - Technology & Society (online course); 3.0 credit hours: B
Semester GPA: 2.73

6th Semester (Spring '17 just completed): 18 total credit hours
MAT 251 - Calculus For Life Sciences; 3.0 credit hours: C+
PSY 230 - Introduction to Statistics; 3.0 credit hours: C
PSY 341 - Developmental Psychology; 3.0 credit hours: A
PSY 350 - Social Psychology (Same professor as intro last semester); 3.0 credit hours: C+
PSY 366 - Abnormal Psychology (online course); 3.0 credit hours: A+
ASB 300 - Food and Culture (online course); 3.0 credit hours: A+
Semester GPA: 3.22

Total GPA at ASU after 2 semesters: 2.99

Becoming a doctor; an orthopedic or plastic surgeon is really in my heart and what I would love to do. I know I am in the gutter as far as anyone else could ever be. I have 2 more years left before I graduate; and really next summer, a year from now is when I have to have applications in for medical school. I will apply to every medical school I can find in this country. I am determined and truly want to succeed. I am taking 14 credit hours, a full slate this summer which is 3 online courses and then the 1st chemistry. It is accelerated so it is condensed into a month. As you can see, I really have not had any science courses up to this point, just humanities, electives and things that count towards the psychology degree. I have a full slate set up for the fall which includes taking BIO, the next chemistry, and physics all in one semester as well as two other online classes. I plan to take a full slate in the Spring and hopefully next summer again as well. The way I see it, I need 3 straight 4.0 GPA semesters in order to wipe out the 1st 3 awful semesters I had at UTAMPA to around an even 3.0; good news is that I'm taking a lot more credit hours than I did there so it should end up a little higher than that. However, getting a 4.0 with my track record is not going to be easy, and it's still so hard to get into a medical school with a 3.0. I am desperate for help, people to lean on, advice, just absolutely anything. I found this site and have gone through it a lot. The situation I am in is very scary. On top of that I have other things going on, and while my career has to be #1, I met a person who I truly feel could be "the one" and the thought of that not formalizing because I have to go out of the country for medical school is frightening as well. I really want to make her, my parents and most importantly myself proud and go to medical school but my 1st couple years of college truly did me no good. I'd be so grateful for any help possible. I truly want to succeed and become one of the great doctors the world can look up to.

Thank you so much and may God bless you all.

Like @candbgirl said you should not apply next summer. Take a few years to really build up your application, while making sure to ace your science classes. Remember that medical school courses are going to be much more difficult than undergraduate courses, an inability to succeed in your pre reqs will be lethal given your start. But also know that it can be done, many have had rough starts to undergrad and still managed to build good applications. Just work hard and efficiently prioritize

As a note, please be aware that your GPA is 2.624 (estimate). None of your semesters currently show sufficient academic achievement to excel in medical school, or to give you a shot at admissions. You applying this summer would net you zero. While there is an academic rise in your grades, a 2.73, and a 3.22 will not be sufficient to get your GPA to a point of where it needs to be. You have also not taken any of the pre-requisite courses required to get into medical school. Frankly you'd be in school for at least 3 years before you could potentially apply to medical school. Take that as it is.

Reactions: 1 user