i am so glad i got out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yipeee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
like everyone else in pod school, i also defended the field. eventually as time went on in the path and physical dx classes i realized how much i would not be doing. well, i left in my 3rd year. i applied to Ross and i couldn't be happier. i will be taking the USMLE in several months.

all of my friends that stayed behind constantly writing to me and telling me how depressed they are and how everyone in the hospital asks them "why don't you just become an MD?"
well, their answer is that they are almost finished and do not want to start all over again.

but hey i did and from what i see here there are many people who have also left. some even during residency

I wish I would have actually listened to those posts on the internet earlier. now i owe more than $100,000.

Members don't see this ad.

i wholehearteldly agree with the OP...i too wasted two years of my life in podiatry school...it wasn't until i read through some of the posts on the internet that made me open my eyes to the sad reality of podiatry. i started looking around and asking people, and they pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I urge everyone who is looking into podiatry to do the same. after i realized i couldn't get into MD/DO school during my senior year of college i started to panic and low and behold, i received some pamphlets about the wonderful and exciting career podiatry can offer. i was basically sucked into all the propaganda, the empty promises, lies, and i had no one to blame but myself. i told myself i was gonna be a "dr" and it didn't matter. i decided to give podiatry a chance. God, was i being foolish...honestly, who the hell would intentionally go into podiatry...basically poeple that didn't get into real med school. i'm no einstein, but i never met more inept and for lack of a better word, stupid people in my life! the people in my class were just idiots and i'm not exaggerating. the straw that broke the camels back for me and made me take action to pursue a real medical education came from one my lectures, when i was informed that dpm's are not considered physicians in most states, and in some cases cannot operate above the ankle, etc, etc. what a bunch of crap...so i took action - i studied for the mcats again and retook them, improved my score by 6 points, and now i will be attending a DO school in the fall - couldn't be happier...anyways this is just a personal account of my life and some poeple may disagree with it and that's fine. but i urge and advocate anyone that is interested in this field to really take it upon themselves find out absolutely everything they possibly can, before making a huge mistake and regretting it for the rest of their lives.

Niceguy, did you attend the same podiatry school as i did because
i to remember when visiting podiatrist and professors would say
get out of podiatry, don't stay in florida you will suffer with serious
trouble. One professor the gave us anesthesia stated and I quote
"a podiatrist must always operate with an MD present, you guys
are not real doctors"

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry you guys have had such a bad experience with Podiatry. Well, congratulations on finding your niche.
Good luck!:clap:

hey edrfernandez, no i did not attend pod. school in florida, although i wished i had...at least i would have enjoyed the warm and sunny weather. actually out of all the pod. schools, i hear the one down in florida is probably the best one, but i'm just glad i got out of the profession

niceguy, you have no idea how lucky we are that we got out just in time. I will be taking the USMLE in a couple of month's. You know, going to a real medical medical school and having to go through basic sciences at a 'real" level beg's me to ask the question. How in the hell do they allow podiatrist to treat
and give out medication to pt's. Someone is really INSANE!:confused:

hey dude

tell me about it, having gone thru podiatry school, and having met the bright and intelligent future podiatrists of tomorrow, has given me a new outlook on things. i actually attended the school in ny, the basic sciences were decent i thought, but it can and will never be on par with what a real medical education encompasses. cept for the top 12 students in the class, the rest of the bunch had an IQ equivalent to a protozoan, and no i'm not exaggerating. i thank god everyday for allowing me to "see the light," and i am totally psyched about starting med school in the fall. although i racked up a ****load of debt, i'm optimistic that my future will be bright and i'll somehow be able to pay back all the debt. i feel like i have a duty to uphold, whenever and wherever someone even mentions the word podiatry, i urge and beg them to think twice before making the biggest mistake of their lives.

niceguydoc

edrfernandez and niceguydoc:
may i ask where do u attend medical school now?

Ross University School of Medicine. You know what's funny, they
did noy accept any of my podiatry basic science courses. What a waste of $80,000. :mad:

i will attending lake erie college of osteopathic medicine most likely (still deciding). it's funny, i think 4 people in my class left pod school and went over to ross. i racked up 100,000 g's worth of debt, 2 years of my life i regret and will never get back...oh well, ya live and ya learn...

I figured out that I was screwed in the first couple of weeks. I was realistic, though, because I knew that I didn't get into MD or DO school for a reason. I just bit the bullet and kept telling myself that somehow it's all going to work out fine.

Well, it never did. Frankly, I don't know if I would have been accepted to DO school if I hadn't received my DPM and had at least some relevant clinical experiences. As it is, I applied to only one DO school last year (COMP) and got in. It was easily the biggest relief of my life. It felt like a two ton albatross had been lifted from my shoulders. Honestly, the very first thing I thought when I saw my acceptance letter was "I'm not going to die a podiatrist". Pretty sad.

hey toejam,

i completely understand what u were going thru. i felt the same way for the entire two years i was at pod school. from the first day all the way until the end. i just couldn't take it anymore, so i bit the bullet and forced myself to study for the mcats over again. applying to med schools the 2nd time was so nervewracking, thinking if i didn't get accepted again, i'd die a podiatrist. but thank god i got in and i wake up everyday now a happy man.

Hey, niceguydoc

Clearly, we're kindred spirits.

Can you imagine going through the entire 4 years plus a one year PPMR, all the while feeling those same feelings of doubt and terror? It was miserable 24/7 for me. I gave up thinking I could escape after the 2nd year. It was a "no-man's land" where I was already 80-90k in debt and still wasn't confident I could get into DO or MD school. It sucked huge time. For me, it was much worse than settling. I knew in my heart that medicine was the best career for me, but I also knew that being a podiatrist was not the right profession. I avoided insanity by rationalizing that, for whatever reason, I was denied entry into DO or MD school and there wasn't anything I could do about it. So, what were my options? Not many. I didn't want to be anything "less" than a doctor. Not out of ego, but I felt as though I had everything necessary to be a physician and anything "less" than that would be intolerable.

I can't tell you how many instances I experienced in my classes, externships, residency that made me, 1) Embarassed to be a pod student, 2) Disgusted with the podiatry curriculum, 3) Disgusted with the scam artists and sheisters who were teaching me and running the asylum, 4) Anxiety ridden with thoughts of my future. I can come up with more than one straw that completely shattered the camel's back for me. There were so many. The number of times I heard from professors, attendings, etc tell me "you don't have to know this...", the fact that I never once rotated through a hospital in my last two years of school, the shock of discovering that there were absolutely no jobs whatsoever when I finished my paltry PPMR.

I could go on. And I have gone on, and on on this forum. I guess it will bother me for a long, long time. But, thankfully, it'll start to fade when I start my new life as a bona-fide medical student (albeit really OLD med student) and finish what I started so many years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey niceguy and toejam, don't forget abou me. The tide turned for me when i was working at night in the ER and meet up with one of my old friend from college, but what was funny is that he was wearing a White Coat. To my surprise, he was a pulmonologist. MD. I asked him where he went to school he said Ross. I remember that chills went up my spine when he told me this. i could help but ask him how much he was making, he said he just finished and was not making much somewhere around $160,000 to start. I almost had a heart attack because in order for me to make this money as a podiatrist well, it was not ever going to happen ever. You know what's funny, i remember having better grades then this guy in college and he is making $160,000
g's and I will be making $40,000 G's if i am lucky, and owe $180,000, that day i decided to start my future.:clap:

Sorry, edrfernandez! Us podiatry ex-pats need to stick together!

I had similar experiences, but most were related to meeting people who were living my dream. I met so many med students and residents who didn't seem any brighter than me or more interested in medicine. I think that's what got me the most. I would look at them and think, "was their GPA 0.2 higher? Was their MCAT 2 points higher"? Why are they an IM resident and I'm a freaking pod resident!?

One of the worst experiences I ever had as a pod student was when I was part of a group that tended to San Francisco's homeless at a free clinic. Another group in the large room were students from UCSF Med School. There we were, grinding and chipping toenails while over on the other side of the room the med students were doing everything else a real doctor might do; using stethoscopes, checking ears, checking mouths, taking blood, asking all kinds of questions, giving all kinds of advice (after all, everything is in their scope). Us pod geeks were suffocating in a cloud of fungal dust, wretching from the heinous foot stink. I think at that moment I truly saw that I was on a totally different path. I really felt like a bastard child of medicine.

I've said this before, but I should have known better when I got accepted to all 7 pod schools even though I only interviewed at one.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!! Dude, that
is so funny, I don't mean disrespect but you make sound so funny.
But you are absolutlely right. once you graduate the world comes down on you. I wish you luck and success throughout your career.

i will attending lake erie college of osteopathic medicine most likely (still deciding).

What's to decide? Go for it and have fun. I have several friends at Nova Southeastern and they love it. It's slightly a different approach (which some people still do not like) but who cares? You will be doing what you like and that is the most important.

CONGRATULATIONS!:clap:

Hey you guys can include me in the club of ex-pod students now attending a U.S allopath med school. I too was tricked into believing their bulls%$# propaganda and I was scared about what I was going to do with my life. So when I went in just to check out my local pod school and they interviewed me and accepted me on the spot I should of been more suspicious. But I wasn't. Anyway, I spent two years there excelling academically based mainly on the fact 75% of my classmates should not be in any med school and plus the education was EXTREMELY watered down(too many examples to mention). I was playing on the internet one day when I discovered the pod bytes website plus the pod forums which confirmed my suspicions that the field was not as great as the pamphlets reported. As you all know, the schools keep you in the dark, there was no contact with outside practicioners, no mentorship program, absolutely NO CLINICAL EXPOSURE at all. So I thought everything was great, but it was eating at my insides that I might be making a mistake. I did not feel I would be happy with podiatry

Thanks to the Student Doctor forums I met other ex-pods and ex-pod students who were attending med schools( there are more out there than you or they would like to know by the way) and they gave me the support I needed to leave( which my old school made extremely difficult). So I took the MCAT over and applied to U.S. MD and DO schools and I landed an acceptance in both. I should of researched a bit more before I entered podiatry, it was my fault. But now I am where I belong and I am never looking back. Good Luck to all of you

If there are any more of you out there who feel the same way or have any questions, PM me and I will try to help.

Wow...17 replies on this thread and no one defends the podiatry profession.

hey bklyndoc, your story sounds exactly identical to mine. did you attend nycpm by any chance cuz i did and from what u described, that sounds exactly like that piece of **** school. you're right, 75 percent of the folks in that school don't belong in any "medical" school period, the school is run by money greedy bastards that don't have the students in their best interest, but instead, propagate their own agenda. its absolutely ridiculous how idiots can pass exams just by having "OTQ'S" and the administration is so scared of losing students that they did absolutely nothing when folks were caught cheating, and i'm not talking about just one incident here, i'm talking about multiple incidents - we had class meetings to address the problem, etc, which was ridiculous cuz in a real school, the person caught cheating would have been expelled immediately, but given the low attendance of students in pod school, the school didn't want to lose any more money.

of course i was oblivious to the empty future of podiatry until i stumbled upon a podiatry forum online. checked it out and was shocked to read what was going on...looked into it somemore and low and behold confirmed my suspicions. i think one of the best things that could of happened to me during the whole reapplication process was finding SDN. I know i should look forward to the future and forget the past, but i am somewhat bitter about the wasted years and debt i have incurred in that piece **** profession. but i'm also glad that we got out and won't die podiatrists!

Podiatry doesnt need to be defended. The profession has been around for years and will continue on. These guys have had a negative experience with podiatry and they moved on.
Personally, I enjoy podiatry and love what I do. It was one of the best descison I have ever made.
I feel sorry for these guys because they spent thousands of dollars and time on something they did not want. Hopefully becoming Medical Doctors will get them the respect and money they couldnt get in Podiatry.
Good Luck GUYS!

As you all know, the schools keep you in the dark

Oh, this is so true. The day I was leaving the school and was filling out withdrawl papers with the Assitant Dean, I told him exactly how I felt about Podiatry. The funny thing was that he did not disagree with me on any part. He just nodded and said "Yes, I know". :laugh:

I also told him that I would be going to a Medical School. He said, "It seems like all we do is prepare students for Medical School".:laugh:

yes it was NYCPM, how about that challenging 1st semester bacteriology class or the second year path lecture and lab quizzes. It took me a while to realize why they put physio and gross anatomy in the second semester of the first year.... Keep the challenging courses until later so they get at least a whole year of tuition from the poor bastards that they know will never pass. They will put anyone in that classroom. It really angered me to see a classmate cry and cry and struggle to pass anatomy and other courses. Paying extra money for tutors just trying to get by just to end up thousands of dollars in debt and leaving. They never belonged there, doesn't this school have a responsibilty to maintain some standards of admission to maintain the intergrity of the profession and school. The administration knows what is going on. Some students failing 3,4,5 classes still allowed to remediate and continue, it was unbelievable. You guys know what i am talking about. The attrition rate from my first semester up to the end of the second year when I left was about 33% 120-80. Now I am sure they will never get 120 again, I am sure it must be around 80

Listen I know podiatry can be a rewarding profession, but the unethical practices that I have seen by one of its schools is appalling. just tell it like is and cut the bull###% already and prepare these students for the real world of podiatry, modernize that curriculum and get those students out there in clinics EARLY to see what is going on ans see if podiatry is really for them. If only 50-60 of those eighty students really have to potential then accept. But hey what do they care those loan checks come real fast!!!

I stumbled to this thread for the first time since I don't come here much at all. I must say that this thread in not only entertaining, but also pretty cool to see that you guys have found your true career passion.

Good luck to you all!

Originally posted by puffy1
Wow...17 replies on this thread and no one defends the podiatry profession.

I think podiatry is now officially classified as a hobby, and a part-time one at that. The educational system is really failing those students who have a deep love and interest for the profession.

i'm one week into real med school (DO), and i must say that i already feel like a real physician. all the two years of coursework i learned in podiatry school, we're basically covering in one semester here. that speaks volume.

Niceguy,

That is an untrue statement, unless the pod school that you attended was much different than mine. I have left podiatry school and am now in dental school, but the first two years of pod school were not easy. What school did you attend, if you don't mind me asking? I know a lot of people in med school, pod school, and pod school. Many of the classes that I took my first two years were comparable to that of med school. In fact, one of my classmates in dental school, attended one year of med school, so I have a pretty good perspective on all three schools. However it is possible that your school was much different than mine or the schools have gotten easier over the years due to lack of applications.

Yeah, I have to agree with Zippy.

I'm a DPM, practicing for 3 years (CCPM, 1998) and I'm starting my first week of DO school on the 11th.

The first two years of pod school are VERY similar to MD or DO school. The anatomy is virtually the same (occasionally glossing over minor parts...and the lower extremity is 10 times as intense), path is the same, pharm is the same, immunology is the same, histology is the same, biochem, physiology, same, same. The major differences begin in the 3rd year. Also, the opportunities for student doctor experience are greater for the MD or DO student.

In fact, there was a study done back in 1995 or so, by an MD and a PhD. The MD's name was Franklin Medio (I think). The gist of it was pretty much what I just said. That the 1st two years of pod school are comparable (but not exactly the same), but the 2nd two years are not comparable. Some of the stronger pod residencies, while not as thorough and intense, are actually pretty close in the intern year.

Your only 1 week into "real" med school yet youve already completed 1 semester? Yeah, your statement does speak volumes. Its says your lying.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by cg2a93
Your only 1 week into "real" med school yet youve already completed 1 semester? Yeah, your statement does speak volumes. Its says your lying.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Or maybe isn't. And maybe that proves his statement that pod schools are a crock.

By the way, just because the schools have a similar course listing does NOT mean the environment is the same.

Toejam, congrats on starting soon. You'll find out VERY soon that the schools are not even close. The subject matter may be related but the workload is unreal. This WEEK (5 days of class) we've covered 5-6 weeks worth of undergrad material.

You're in dental school, he's about to start medical school. Isn't there a difference? And if not, why the hell do you have to know about anything below the mouth?

hey cg2a93, don't need to develop an inferiority complex there buddy. i simply stated that having gone through 2 years of podiatry school, and having just completed my second week of, yes "read" med school, i find that there is noticeably a huge difference. the subject matter may be the same, but the workload and material covered is vastly different. it took us 1.5 semesters to cover your basic core classes (anatomy, phsio, path, pharm, biochem, histo) in pod. school, whereas at the school i'm currently attending, we're covering all those in the first semester, and in the spring semester we're starting systems (derm, cardiovascular,etc). i'll concede, anatomy was challenging, but only b/c that is the nature of the course. the material we covered in pod school was extremely watered down, to the point where the profs practically gave us every single question on the exams. and some professors would use old test questions so often, it was possible for you to score 90 percent on the exams by just simply glossing over the "otqs". for those of you wondering, i attended nycpm, and cheating was the norm(meaning the administration knew about it but did absolutely nothing, since they couldn't afford to expel anyone with enrollment being so low). having just taken my first anatomy exam and practical, i can say for certain that pod school was a joke compared to what i just went thru w/ my first two weeks of med school. oh and cg2a93, are you a practicing podiatrist in the state of ny or soon to be? If you think you're a physician, think again cuz in the state of ny, podiatrists are not legally considered "physicians" sad but true.

Inferiortiy complex.. PLEASE. I am a grown man and could careless what somebody else does for a living. I have worked in a multitude of different LABOR ridden jobs. I know what it is to make less than $10,000 a year and respect those who still do it today. RESPECT or ADMIRATION are not given to others by me because of the job they do, it is earned. It is a priviledge to go to college and get a degree in any profession not everyone has this luxury.
I will leave the, "you are not a physician or my job is better than yours" , banter to you guys. I dont have that luxury nor do I want it. We reserve that right for those of you who were born with silver spoons in their mouth.
My patients come to me when they are in pain and they look to me for help. Call me a physican or not, who cares. Titles mean as much as the paper they are written on. I work hard and treat my patients to the best of my abilty, THAT is what matters. Podiatry is what I do not who I am.
Like I said before, Podiatry doesnt need me to defend it so I wont. Thus far in my career Podiatry has treated me fine. I think it is a great career choice for the right person. If that person is not you well it would be in your best interest to do something else.
Good Luck

GavinC, I worked extremely hard at becoming a podiatrist,( 4years plus 3yrs residency )it challenged me and my classmates on a daily basis.
My collegues and I are responsible for saving some of our patients limbs and ultimatiely their lives. To state that podiatry is a part time profession and insult our education is ignorant and immature not to mention ludicris.
Your studying to become a professional so why not act like one.
Good luck

niceguydoc, I went to the NY school and was graduated from there. Basic sciences took 4 semesters, thats 2 years. All the 7 schools are similar in that respect.

Originally posted by JKDMed
You're in dental school, he's about to start medical school. Isn't there a difference? And if not, why the hell do you have to know about anything below the mouth?

Surely you are kidding. That's like asking an ophthamologist why they need to know anything below the eye.

lot of angry people in this thread.
I just wanted to add that I go to CPMS in Des Moines, and we take all of the classes with the DO's except for their OMM and intro to DO classes and we had comparable classes for our field of study. I don't know what the other pod schools are like, but from personal experience I can tell you that I was sitting next to DO's and learned the same stuff they did, and it certainly wasn't easy!

one addition to my previous statement is that our second year we were apart from the DO's for our systems and lower limb anatomy, duh, of course we were.

Originally posted by JKDMed

Typical comment by a naive pre-med student who can't realize that physicans aren't the gods of healthcare. Here's the wake-up call: the oral cavity is one place physicans don't have domain over (and neither do HMOs, for that matter).

Why shouldn't I learn about the entire body? I'm going to administer drugs, perhaps that is important. I'm sure that one day you'll have a full understanding of systemic drug complications.

Hepatic and renal dysfunction impair the body's ability to break down and excrete local anesthetic, leading to an increased anesthetic level in the blood (better learn about kidneys and excretion).

Congestive heart failure decreases liver perfusion and thereby increases the half-lives of amide local anesthetics which increases the risk of overdose (better learn about the cardio system).

Anesthetics we use cross the blood-brain barrier and produce CNS depression (better learn neuroanatomy).

You'd better hope that your dentist understands the body in full and the effects that the drugs he administers or scripts have on your body. You'd better hope your dentist is comfortable performing cricothyrotomy.

Many situations arise in the dental office, the least of which are patient unconsciousness, respiratory distress, altered consciousness, seizures, chest pain and cardiac arrest.

You're right, we should only study the head and care less about what happens to the body after the drug is administered.

Gavin,
You spent way too much effort into explaining the systemic importance of oral health. Although, you are absolutely correct---- an ingnorant pre-med student has no idea what you are talking about. You would be hard-pressed to find a 2nd yr MD/DO student speaking so ridiculous. I applaud your effort and good luck in dental school.:clap:

I must admit that this is the most entertaining thread that I have EVER read on SDN. Guys, keep up the comedy, the confessions, and condemnation. I love reading this ****.

Originally posted by cg2a93
GavinC, I worked extremely hard at becoming a podiatrist,( 4years plus 3yrs residency )it challenged me and my classmates on a daily basis.
My collegues and I are responsible for saving some of our patients limbs and ultimatiely their lives. To state that podiatry is a part time profession and insult our education is ignorant and immature not to mention ludicris.
Your studying to become a professional so why not act like one.
Good luck
[/
QUOTE]

I never stated that it was a part-time profession. I said it was a hobby, and a part-time one at that.

You've got to realize that your experience is vastly DIFFERENT, in fact OPPOSITE of what 95% of the other podiatrists/pod students have posted here.

It seems that most students can't make the money to pay off loans much less support their families if they continue to practice podiatry.

Read Toejam's posts and you'll see how committed he was to the profession, but how he ultimately recognized that he couldn't live life as he wanted if he continued in the same rut. And I recall that Toejam was one of the few who actually received post-grad training.

cg2a93, I'm GLAD that you are finding happiness in the profession and have found yourself in a position where you can live comfortably doing what you want to do. The majority of pod graduates CANNOT do the same.

I wanted to add, that I think this post by goldenpheasant really sums things up nicely for the majority of students:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52883

P.S. That same thread is where I first posted about the pod schools sending me junk mail, which led to interview requests, and finally an acceptance. That wasn't made up, as you can see that post dates 1/24/03.

toe jam/cga32a,

is surgery recommended to take out callus on the bottom of your feet? if not what to do about callus?

sorry deviating from the subject, i was asking this question at podiatry forum but no answer. Since you guys are DPMs maybe you could help me and if surgery is the best option, how much is it without insurance.

Gav, is dentistry a hobby? I dont think you can call what I do a hobby. Hobbies dont usually take 4 years post undergrad+ 3yrs residency. Im quite sure my patients wouldnt call what I do a hobby. I am quite sure the gentleman we just performed a transmetatarsal amputation on would diagree with you calling what we do a hobby. I get the impression you feel that podiatry school is a joke and you will get a more comprehensive medical education in dental school. Share your thoughts.
Most student according to THIS INTERNET SITE cant make enough money. The reality is quite different. Look, it is definetly easier to make money in medicine and dentisty right now than it is for podiatry at this point in time. That doesnt not mean that it cant be done. Things are getting better and better for pods. I am not painting a rosey picture of the profession. I will be the first to tell you that some new grads get screwed and dont make what they should make the first couple of years. The outlook for podiatry is very good, but keep in mind that there is alway a chance that some people wont be as sucessful for whatever reason.

dimsum, it depends on what your calling a "callus" and what is causing it. Is it being cause by a biomechanical problem or some other problem. In other words surgery may be indicated depending on the circumstance.

cg,

Good post. Podiatry is NOT a hobby but it BECOMES a hobby for many graduates who are forced to take second or third jobs to pay off their loans.

NO graduate of a professional school should have to wait tables, or moonlight at other jobs to payback their loans.

You're right that good money can be made in pod, but most of that is for graduates who have connections, especially those who have relatives who already have an open clinic. Most of the pod students aren't as lucky as this, and furthermore, will be looked down upon by the older pods. Nobody likes competition for patients.

I am going to make one more point then I am going to leave this topic alone.
Gav, you make so many broad brushed comments. Where are you getting your fact.. the internet? Show me one source to back up what you say. Toe jam and the others dont count because they can only speak from one persons perspective.
This past APMA survey shows not only did salaries increase across the board, but more young pods participated more than ever.
I will agree the salaries to some pods are low, but within 3-5 years they increase drastically.
Again. podiatry is not a bed of roses, but it is no where near as bad as you guys portray it on the internet.
ps: I have been shown nothing but love from old pods.