I am sort of non-traditional. Am I on right the track and what all do I need to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsrs3739

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on sdn.

Here's a little background info about myself:
I'm 22 and I graduated from a Texas university with a BS in biology this May. My cGPA was 3.53 and my sGPA was probably 3.7+. I worked as a waiter 3-4 nights a week from my sophomore year up until graduation. I was also a volunteer/undergrad scholar in a research lab for two years and completed an individual research project for which I received a grant and a fellowship. After graduation, I was going to find a job and go for a graduate degree in molecular science somewhere down the road. But I recently decided that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine.

Where I stand now:
So I have been doing research on how to get into med school. Luckily I took all the prerequisite courses (biochem, micro, stats, etc) for med school in college, so I am all set there. But I have no shadowing and clinical experience and a little volunteering. The only volunteering I did in college was just picking up trash one day at a festival (8hrs~), volunteering in a lab (16 hrs a week one summer), and going on a mission trip as a leader for one week.
I started volunteering at a hospital last week and Im also planning on shadowing a doctor soon.
My ExamKracker 9th Ed is on the way. I plan on taking MCAT in December or January.
My first pick school is TCOM and I'm thinking about doing their SMP first since I wasn't a pre-med student.

Do you think I'm on the right track? What else do I need to work on?
Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You totally don't need an SMP with that GPA. You just need to beast your MCAT and spend time doing community work/volunteering/shadowing. Also, in addition to the classes you mentioned, you took orgo, gen chem, physics and all that, right?

You totally don't need an SMP with that GPA. You just need to beast your MCAT and spend time doing community work/volunteering/shadowing. Also, in addition to the classes you mentioned, you took orgo, gen chem, physics and all that, right?

Yes I took all of those prerequisites..I happened to choose electives that will look good on med school applications