I am starting freaking out already...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I am just venting here...

I am very average applicant with 3.7 + some volunteering and research.

I am applying with 9,9,9 ...this is my third time MCAT and second time applying ( my verbal went up to 4 points since I took MCAT first time).Whats wrong with me I was doing really well on dagnostic tests? I came to the USA 6 years ago when I was almost 19 yo with no English skills at all. Though I studied for that MCAT all my free time that I had between full time job and full time college I probably did not do it hard enough according to my results...Sometimes I feel like withdrawing my application and take this test like 4th time next spring and after that apply over again (since now I am done with the school and only have one full time job). It is just depressing....

Anybody knows how to cope with feelings like that?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll take your GPA and MCAT and go to DO school.

:)

Or even an MD school, possibly.

i wouldn't withdraw is what I'm trying to say. I get the impression this is your first time applying...you never know.

Taty said:
Sorry, I am just venting here...

I am very average applicant with 3.7 + some volunteering and research.

I am applying with 9,9,9 ...this is my third time MCAT and second time applying ( my verbal went up to 4 points since I took MCAT first time).Whats wrong with me I was doing really well on dagnostic tests? I came to the USA 6 years ago when I was almost 19 yo with no English skills at all. Though I studied for that MCAT all my free time that I had between full time job and full time college I probably did not do it hard enough according to my results...Sometimes I feel like withdrawing my application and take this test like 4th time next spring and after that apply over again (since now I am done with the school and only have one full time job). It is just depressing....

Anybody knows how to cope with feelings like that?

First off DONOT pull your app, apply broadly, you have come so far to not apply, apply to DO school

second, can u tell me what u used to do better in verbal..im struggling a bit with it :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with MJB, do not withdraw your application. Good Luck!

I had similar numbers and to top it off am an "older" student. It took me three tries to get into the school I wanted. If I can do so can you! :thumbup:

3.7 is not average. Take the MCAT again.

MSc44 said:
First off DONOT pull your app, apply broadly, you have come so far to not apply, apply to DO school

second, can u tell me what u used to do better in verbal..im struggling a bit with it :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot. I am applying to 1 DO here in NY. I used examkrackers for verbal, New Yorker, and Wall Street Journal. This is my second time applying because first time when I saw my MCAT scores I just did not send secondaries in.

ekydrd said:
I had similar numbers and to top it off am an "older" student. It took me three tries to get into the school I wanted. If I can do so can you! :thumbup:

That makes me feel better :) Thank you. Thats my second time. First time I applied to all NY state schools and did not send any secondaries because of my initial MCAT score. This time my boyfriend actually encouraged me to apply because after seeing that I am not breaking this 30 again...I just did not want to submit my AMCAS (it was ready I was just waiting for my MCAT scores).

You know I was just browsing that SDN forum and people have very high numbers I feel kind of intimidated....

Sundarban1 said:
3.7 is not average. Take the MCAT again.
I personally do not see what is wrong with a 27 on the MCAT. Isn't anything above a 25 competitive. I personally think that a 27 is a pretty good score. Do not pull out your application. Apply to more DO and MD schools in order to have a better shot. Good luck. I wouldn't want to take that beast again.

Your GPA is great! The MCAT score is decent, so don't dispare. Take a look at the MARS or AAMC data on the average MCAT score and GPA. It also sounds like you have worked extreemly hard. Make sure you talk about it on your primary and secondary application. Schools love to see someone so dedicated. :thumbup: Hell.. I'm impressed :)

chocomorsel said:
I personally do not see what is wrong with a 27 on the MCAT. Isn't anything above a 25 competitive. I personally think that a 27 is a pretty good score. Do not pull out your application. Apply to more DO and MD schools in order to have a better shot. Good luck. I wouldn't want to take that beast again.

The "problem" with a 27 MCAT is that it is below the MSAR average for accpeted students. The only caveat to that is if you are a resident of a state with a lot of public schools, where typically the average MCAT scores for in state residents is slightly lower. Otherwise, a 27 today is not what it was a few years ago.

ClosetNerd said:
Your GPA is great! The MCAT score is decent, so don't dispare. Take a look at the MARS or AAMC data on the average MCAT score and GPA. It also sounds like you have worked extreemly hard. Make sure you talk about it on your primary and secondary application. Schools love to see someone so dedicated. :thumbup: Hell.. I'm impressed :)

Thank you I just added 9 more schools... :luck:

Sundarban1 said:
The "problem" with a 27 MCAT is that it is below the MSAR average for accpeted students. The only caveat to that is if you are a resident of a state with a lot of public schools, where typically the average MCAT scores for in state residents is slightly lower. Otherwise, a 27 today is not what it was a few years ago.
Damn, everything gets more and more difficult every year. I'm so glad I'm already in. Good luck OP. You can do it, you sound very determined. I mean you've taken the beast 3 times. That's determination in my books.

chocomorsel said:
Damn, everything gets more and more difficult every year. I'm so glad I'm already in. Good luck OP. You can do it, you sound very determined. I mean you've taken the beast 3 times. That's determination in my books.

Thank you. Well I guessif I will not get in I will take it as many times as needed. I will be a project manager with a very strange hobby which is....taking MCAT

Hey OP,

Those are respectable numbers. That's a great improvement on the verbal. And, being that English is not your primary language (not to mention the little time you've had at becoming proficient), I think that's a great achievement. I also feel that an adcom would see that as perserverance and a respectable score.

I'm not sure that retaking the MCAT again is going to be your solution. Perhaps look into other ways of not being so "normal". What kind of unique experiences might you write about in your app?? Any good extracurriculars etc? That would be my focus.

But, I take my hat off to you for the hard work and for staying the course under tough circumstances. Good luck!

I dont have very unique ECs since I was working full time here in the US. Back to country where I came from I volunteered at the hospital, but I did not want to be a doctor that time.

The situation was kind of odd. I came to visit my grandmother she was recovering after surgery. I brought her medical supplies since hospital was very poor that patients had to bring their own drugs and even equipment.
Also our government sometimes was preserving electricity and they did not care if they shut off electricity in the schools or hospitals. So when power went off I went to get a candle and bumped into the doctor. He was trying to find some hospital employees to help him and could not find anyone. So, he asked me to help him...they were in the middle of the surgery when lights went off so they actually gave me a a very bright flashlight and I was holding it over the patient. I got so impressed that I was returning back to that hospital to run errands for those doctors for over than a year. And no I did not want to be a doctor that time...I wanted to be a lawyer ( from my childhood). I was stupid freshman and the reason why I wanted to be a lawyer was because I wanted to be rich and donate my money for cancer research (since I am coming from a cancer family ), but that lawyer thing actually helped a lot when I got to US. I realized that I will never be a lawyer if I will not learn the language.

In US it was full time work,work and college, research and I cared about sick family members. Thats all... :(