i am such a loser

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obog360

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
fixed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
read Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel G. Amen

take a course in public speaking.

I think most people feel the way you do. I only got slightly better (and I do mean slightly) after TAing a few courses and giving several presentations in class.

Members don't see this ad :)
So i just did a research presentation and made a complete fool of myself. People couldn't hear me, i talked really fast and seemed like an awkward mess throughout. I hate being shy and nervous. And since I am applying now and hopefully will get interviews soon, is there any advice for a person like me so that I don't feel nervous. Is there anyone else who feels like I do in these situations?

thanks

you're probably really young. some young'ns are just naturally comfortable with and proficient in public speaking, but most are not. you will become more proficient with effort and time. here are a few tips to get you there:

1. practice practice practice. rehearse your presentations/practice interviews in front of friends and family with whom you are comfortable. if you have pets, they make a fine audience, too (they won't provide any constructive criticism, thoug)

2. know your stuff really, really well. the more mastery you have of your material, the more convincing your delivery will be.

3. you must make a very conscious and deliberate effort to speak more slowly. there's no special trick to it; you just really have to be mindful of your pace when you are speaking. and pauses are ok. do not fill them with "um" or "er".

4. be nicer to yourself:) don't call yourself names

good luck with your future public speaking endeavors

Something that seems to work for me is reading out loud to myself.

I'm not shy, but I do some voice over and narration stuff and ever since I started randomly reading stuff out loud (mostly poetry) I've found that I can project better. I've also eliminated "ummm" and "like," and I use less hedges.

Pharmacy schools have public speaking as a pre-req and there is a reason why. I think it should be included in the pre-med curricula for obvious reasons. You should take a public speaking class. The only way to get rid of nervousness is by getting up in front of an audience over and over and over. I started to lose my nervousness by my third minor speech and wasn't at all nervous by my 3rd and final major speech. It's also a really fun experience.

So i just did a research presentation and made a complete fool of myself. People couldn't hear me, i talked really fast and seemed like an awkward mess throughout. I hate being shy and nervous. And since I am applying now and hopefully will get interviews soon, is there any advice for a person like me so that I don't feel nervous. Is there anyone else who feels like I do in these situations?

thanks

You gave me flashbacks for my freshman public speaking class, in my first few presentations, I was an absolute nervous wreck!! Sweating, stuttering and even trembling somewhat!! I was a mess. Anyway, as a did more presentations my confidence increased and and by my sophomore year I did a couple of symposia presentations comfortably!! Knowing ur material helps a lot!!

The point is DON'T WORRY, public speaking is a skill just like biking, u may falter at first but with practice u get better!! Look for less-intimidating opportunites to practice. At study groups, explain things to your friends, take advantage of opportunities to present small group projects.

For ADCOM interviews, practice mock interviews with ur career center!!! It's absolutely crucial!!

For now, have a drink. Don't be hard on urself, this happens to most people at some point.

Final option is to present/speak under an "altered state of mind". Warning: this may go very well or very badly, but either way you wouldn't care afterwards :laugh::laugh::laugh: (J/K)

In medical school you will do case reports in front of Attending's students and the whole hospital team multiple times per day. This form of public speaking definitely takes some practice.

My point. Don't worry about it, learn from it and move on knowing that you will have plenty of chances to redeem yourself.

I taught CPR for the red cross for 2 years, it really helped my public speaking, and was a good community service experience. Just call your local red cross and say your a pre-med and want to teach CPR, It's only a matter of attending a few meetings.

Practise speaking to everyone who will listen. From your family to the chatty lady at the grocery store counter. Everyday go out of your way to talk to two to three people you do not know. It doesn't have to be full on conversations like at grocery stores the cashiers are usually chatty about the smallest things. Make an effort to engage them.

Then for some more formal help go to your career center at school and explain your situation to them. They will probably be able to have someone work with you.

but until then talk to everyone you can. Until your mouth gets dry. Then drink some water and keep going. :)

thanks

Some tips...

Write what you want to say and practice it over and over again on camera. Prepare to speak about 100 words per minute. So if you want a 5-minute talk, have around 500 words.

As people said, practice.

As you practice, you learn to use certain declarative transition phrases, like

"Look"

"Listen."

"The reason is this."

"This is how it works."

"Consider this."

You learn to pause gently instead of using um and er's and I means. All of which are vocal ticks that you have to get rid of.

I'm sure you weren't nearly as bad as you thought, though...:)

(actually, I don't think you want to tell professors to look or listen. haha!)

thanks

Did you have your hands out of your pocket?

thanks
For now, take a public speaking class.

I was scared about my interview too. I did alot of MOCK INTERVIEW with one of my good friend. I gave her a list of questions and she would ask me. If you want a more professional person, you can ask an advisor or the career center people (at my school they offer mock interview). My advisor gave me so many tips since I have never been in a formal interview before.

good luck to ya

No, well one hand was in my pocket, is that bad? btw thanks for the advice y'all

Yes, live and learn.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGh3MvLCps[/YOUTUBE]