I am taking GRE on the 10th of Jan and need your advice/help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archonsbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So, I am taking GRE on the 10th of January....
I took a practice test about 2 months ago and I got 148 on verbal (47%) and 164 on math (99%). I have been memorizing lots of vocabs, which was the main problem that I had for the practice test, so I think I can manage to get 150+ on verbal.

My overall GPA is about 3.0 (a little over 3.0)... but my last 3 semesters are all above 3.55 with all intense science courses. I am involved in neuroscience research for 1 year and plant genetics research for 3 years. I have been tutoring math/science at local high school for almost 2 years and I have involved in public health-related volunteering work for 6 months.

I think my letters and extra curriculum are great, but I am worried about my overall GPA. I just started the college very poorly.

My first choice is UW-Madison MPH program and its deadline is the 1st of Feb and I am looking at other options.. Are there any schools that I could get in with this? (Let's say I get 150 on verbal and 160 on math).

Thank you for reading!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

So, I am taking GRE on the 10th of January....
I took a practice test about 2 months ago and I got 148 on verbal (47%) and 164 on math (99%). I have been memorizing lots of vocabs, which was the main problem that I had for the practice test, so I think I can manage to get 150+ on verbal.

My overall GPA is about 3.0 (a little over 3.0)... but my last 3 semesters are all above 3.55 with all intense science courses. I am involved in neuroscience research for 1 year and plant genetics research for 3 years. I have been tutoring math/science at local high school for almost 2 years and I have involved in public health-related volunteering work for 6 months.

I think my letters and extra curriculum are great, but I am worried about my overall GPA. I just started the college very poorly.

My first choice is UW-Madison MPH program and its deadline is the 1st of Feb and I am looking at other options.. Are there any schools that I could get in with this? (Let's say I get 150 on verbal and 160 on math).

Thank you for reading!!

You should apply where you feel your interests most matches the programs' curricula, goals, and overall education/training. It is not unreasonable to apply to "reach" schools because the ways in which schools evaluate applications are too complex for us to naively second-guess.

While numbers may correlate with "success" in graduate school, I find it helpful to be reminded that those numbers are crunched from folks not only who were admitted but also who accepted the offer. The sampling is biased and narrow. Is it not equally possible that applicants with higher "numbers" were denied and/or decided to go elsewhere?

Apply where you feel and believe you will most do well, where you will thrive. Good luck!

You should apply where you feel your interests most matches the programs' curricula, goals, and overall education/training. It is not unreasonable to apply to "reach" schools because the ways in which schools evaluate applications are too complex for us to naively second-guess.

While numbers may correlate with "success" in graduate school, I find it helpful to be reminded that those numbers are crunched from folks not only who were admitted but also who accepted the offer. The sampling is biased and narrow. Is it not equally possible that applicants with higher "numbers" were denied and/or decided to go elsewhere?

Apply where you feel and believe you will most do well, where you will thrive. Good luck!

Well for me, I don't care about the reach schools as much. I am just hoping to pursue my Master's degree in Public Health... I have found some schools like UW-Madison, Minnesota, Iowa, and etc...