I am taking O chem 1 prior to Gen Chem 2, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavetheMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious what topics from Chem II I will need to prestudy in order to be successful in O chem. Also, are there any books/resources that helped you to understand O chem?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am just curious what topics from Chem II I will need to prestudy in order to be successful in O chem. Also, are there any books/resources that helped you to understand O chem?

Thanks

book- organic chemistry as a second language

chem2 and ochem are totally diff so your fine, im doing the same thing

Actually, I don't think so. They're both chemistry, but the topics aren't so overlapping that you will be completely lost in orgo without chem 2. If I may ask, why are you doing it this way?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did Ochem 1 before Gchem 1.

No overlap, it's fine.

Actually, I don't think so. They're both chemistry, but the topics aren't so overlapping that you will be completely lost in orgo without chem 2. If I may ask, why are you doing it this way?

A lot of schools are switching to this curriculum. My university's chem series is Gchem 1 -> Orgo 1&2 -> Gchem 2.

I did Ochem 1 before Gchem 1.

No overlap, it's fine.

That might be a bit difficult, unless you mean Gchem 2.

I took Gen Chem 2 this summer session and my professor said acid/base chemistry (buffers especially), equilibria, and rates of reaction will all be important for organic

for example: acids and bases

Acids and bases yeah (like people have said before), pretty much the only thing I can really recall that overlap, but its easy to get down once you think about it.

You might have to rank acids/bases later on and guess what protonation states some compounds are at some pH, but the concept is pretty easy to grasp.

EDIT: Oh and maybe also orbitals...

I took Gen Chem 2 this summer session and my professor said acid/base chemistry (buffers especially), equilibria, and rates of reaction will all be important for organic

None of those were extremely important for Orgo 1. Personally, my gen chem 2 class's approach to acid/base chem was a physical chemistry/ math approach. Orgo 1 was all about reactions and reactivity, nothing math related at all.

@serenade I guess it depends on what university/college you go to, but rates were pretty important in my ochem class.

Synthesis problems were only right if you chose the method with the best yield/rate in my class.

@serenade I guess it depends on what university/college you go to, but rates were pretty important in my ochem class.

Synthesis problems were only right if you chose the method with the best yield/rate in my class.

Maybe, at my university you had to remember rates and explain why a reaction would result in a specific way like E2 v.s Sn2. But we never had to calculate rate laws or something.

I mean GChem 1 :p

Either you're the reincarnation of a chem wiz or you took AP chem. But yah, I suppose any Ochem 1 class will start out with reviewing the basics, though it must still be more difficult.