1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

"I am trying so hard, but still not even getting above a 20 on the MCAT"

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Muhammed, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Muhammed

Muhammed SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I have a friend who really, really wants to be a doctor. But he just does not have the GPA for it. He went to a good school in New York and has a GPA of 2.89. He is looking into post-bac opportunities but is not getting into any of them because he is doing poorly in the MCAT. He got 19 and 20 on the MCAT.

Now he tells me that he works really, really hard and I'd like to believe him. He studied his butt off for last couple months and even then did not do well in the real exam. I know that his study habits are not the great and he is not very good at focusing. He also had been through a lot during college. He really wants to improve his score.

Can anyone relate to him? What's your experience? What did you do to get a better score? Any suggestions would be really helpful !

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pepocho

pepocho 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 04.11.16
    theparty, GodComplex and Muhammed like this.
  4. GodComplex

GodComplex 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Assuming that he really has been working really hard (since many say this but do not, do not take offense) and has played around with different studying habits and still has no success then perhaps he should entertain the possibility that he has a mental disorder that may be preventing him from reaching his goals.

5. Muhammed

Muhammed SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student

Hey this is great advice. You are brutally honest and I think delivering this message would be tough. But I will try my best. I do doubt that he studies hard. He probably does study hard, but he doesn't study effectively. Efficiency is the key in my opinion.
    I think what he needs to realize is that he is lying to himself about working hard. He just needs to acknowledge that.

6. pepocho

pepocho 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 04.11.16
  7. moop

moop 1K Member Banned Account on Hold

MDApps:
    Don't double post in different forums. It's annoying and you'll be ignored.

About the ads