I am very afraid for the future of health care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of very ignorant people in pre-allo. My heart is hurting right now and I'm not sure I want to go to med school with people who think the way they do. That's all I have to say about that.

I came here because I am waving my white flag. And I could use a virtual group hug from people who get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Not even the future. People like them have been and are currently practicing medicine and are part of why healthcare disparities exist. Which is why more people like us need to hang in there and get into medicine.

At this point I just avoid any thread that seems like it might bring out ignorant comments or leave a thread when it starts heading in that direction. No point in subjecting myself to that.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to avoid these kinds of threads now but sometimes I can't help myself and I HAVE to say something. *virtual hug* Don't let them influence your decision to go into medical school.

I feel like I'm about to snap off on these people. I know they're not worth it and this is just the interwebs, but it is infuriating that I'm probably going to spend a great deal of my time with a-holes who think like this one day. Unless I go to an HBCU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There are a lot of very ignorant people in pre-allo. My heart is hurting right now and I'm not sure I want to go to med school with people who think the way they do. That's all I have to say about that.

I came here because I am waving my white flag. And I could use a virtual group hug from people who get it.
Pre-allo is hardly representative of the medical student population as a whole. It's horrible place full of gunners, trolls, and shortsighted people that only care about their own success. Once you're in med school, you'll find a lot of the people with less agreeable personalities have been sorted out. I'd strongly encourage you to attend a school with a more cooperative, rather than competitive, environment, as the sorts of attitudes you see around here tend to thrive in schools that push their students to compete with one another.

Reactions: 6 users
I feel like I'm about to snap off on these people. I know they're not worth it and this is just the interwebs, but it is infuriating that I'm probably going to spend a great deal of my time with a-holes who think like this one day. Unless I go to an HBCU.
What about the way they act makes them "a-holes"? Is it the fact that they desire fair and equitable medical school admissions for all races?

It's the comments they make that they believe people of certain races are of inferior intellect for one. And I don't hear them up in arms about the disparities in the quality of life or education or socioeconomic barriers to a better quality of life that these medical school ORMs have had their entire lives giving them a leg up in the admissions process to begin with - yet they whine and moan constantly over the negligible amount of URMs who get into medical school who may have lesser scores based on some AAMC table - but that speaks nothing to the extracurricular activities or overall strength of the applicant that is not based solely on test scores and GPAs, which again - does not measure intellect, compassion, or work ethic (or however the potential of a future great doctor is codified) and again - most URMs have not had access to.

So you think medical school admissions - based on a ton of different factors, btw - aren't fair?

Well, life isn't fair. I, personally, learned that the hard way my entire life. I am reminded of it every day by the way I am treated by the majority. So hot damn, if having darker skin pigment somehow magically gives me a leg up (even though I have been tested at a genius level IQ and have a strong application and strong grades) in the med school admissions process, I am going to take it.

Demand fair and equitable education and standard of quality of life for URMs first. Otherwise the medical school anti-URM argument comes across as more racist entitled silver-spooned privileged people suffering from affluenza (or at the very least not suffering from institutionalized racism) trying to keep URMs from moving up in this country. So in essence, same old, same old.

It makes them a-holes because these are the types that are going to resent my acceptance and dissect my performance in medical school (whether I succeed or fail) based on my skin pigment rather than focusing on becoming the best doctors they can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
It's the comments they make that they believe people of certain races are of inferior intellect for one. And I don't hear them up in arms about the disparities in the quality of life or education or socioeconomic barriers to a better quality of life that these medical school ORMs have had their entire lives giving them a leg up in the admissions process to begin with - yet they whine and moan constantly over the negligible amount of URMs who get into medical school who may have lesser scores based on some AAMC table - but that speaks nothing to the extracurricular activities or overall strength of the applicant that is not based solely on test scores and GPAs, which again - does not measure intellect, compassion, or work ethic (or however the potential of a future great doctor is codified) and again - most URMs have not had access to.

So you think medical school admissions - based on a ton of different factors, btw - aren't fair?

Well, life isn't fair. I, personally, learned that the hard way my entire life. I am reminded of it every day by the way I am treated by the majority. So hot damn, if having darker skin pigment somehow magically gives me a leg up (even though I have been tested at a genius level IQ and have a strong application and strong grades) in the med school admissions process, I am going to take it.

Demand fair and equitable education and standard of quality of life for URMs first. Otherwise the medical school anti-URM argument comes across as more racist entitled silver-spooned privileged people suffering from affluenza (or at the very least not suffering from institutionalized racism) trying to keep URMs from moving up in this country. So in essence, same old, same old.

It makes them a-holes because these are the types that are going to resent my acceptance and dissect my performance in medical school (whether I succeed or fail) based on my skin pigment rather than focusing on becoming the best doctors they can be.

ORMs do not have any leg up in the admissions process, I am Asian American, and Asian Americans also experience racial prejudice and discrimination in this country, its just when it happens we cannot go to CNN or NBC News, they won't hear our story. Our history in this country has been limited. If you think Asians have not experienced the nasty side of American history you are mistaken, Japanese Americans were put into camps during World War 2, regardless of their allegiance to this country. Chinese Americans came since the 19th century and were also subject to intense racism. So please keep telling me that only one racial group get it worse than the other.

The one group that has had it worst than all has been Native Americans, they have been completely destroyed.

This country elected an African American man to the highest office in the land not once but twice but he just turned out to be part of the Wall Street cadre. Obama spent most of his time during his administration having coffee with George Clooney and weekend dinners with Wall Street CEOs than trying to improve the situation of African Americans and other minority groups in this country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Why don't you tell me how many Japanese Americans or Chinese Americans are shot by the police every month because the police "were in fear for their life" or how many Asians get detained and arrested or even sexually molested for driving while Asian?

I already know this nation's past with regards to the Asian communities you mentioned but can you tell me how Asians are presently discriminated against on parity with AA or Hispanics even. How many Asians do you know who live in the ghetto?

I'm so tired of the silver spooners always gotta drag Obama into everything. It is not Obama's fault that Asians are over-represented in medicine and that by some magical algorithm, the medical school admissions process is now trying to fix incoming classes to reflect the diversity of our nation.

I am done with this conversation. It's pointless and stupid. I never said Asian Americans have a leg up on the admissions process, but they are overrepresented because there is a higher concentration of Asians matriculating through medical school even though they are considered an American minority.

I have absolutely nothing against Asians or anyone for that matter except when they hijack threads that were designed to be supportive to those who are discriminated against in other pre-allo threads time and again on this site for their own agenda.

(Not seeing too many anti-Asian threads on SDN either, btw, or posts about Asian's inferior intelligence or being undeserving of higher education)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Jesus Christ. Why don't you tell me how many Japanese Americans or Chinese Americans are shot by the police every month because the police "were in fear for their life" or how many Asians get detained and arrested or even sexually molested for driving while Asian?

I already know this nation's past with regards to the Asian communities and you cannot tell me how Asians are still discriminated against on parity with AA or Hispanics even. How many Asians do you know who live in the ghetto?

And I'm so tired of the silver spooners always gotta drag Obama into everything. It is not Obama's fault that Asians are over-represented in medicine and that by some magical algorithm, the medical school admissions process tries to fix incoming classes to reflect the diversity of our nation.

I am done with this conversation. It's pointless and stupid.
You should really ignore him. I have no idea how he hasn't been banned yet, he's a pretty avid troll, and one of the only people that is on my ignore list because arguing with him furiously would put me at risk of a ban. The ignore button is your friend.

I am very frustrated by your posts, specifically some parts that are very clearly racist. You can say that they're not racist, but I am Asian and I'm telling you now that they offend me and that most Asians would probably be offended by them. So take special note of the racist parts of your post so that you can avoid making those mistakes in the future - unless you don't care that you are being racist. If that is the case, then you can carry on with your agenda.

Let me address your concerns item by item.

Why don't you tell me how many Japanese Americans or Chinese Americans are shot by the police every month because the police "were in fear for their life" or how many Asians get detained and arrested or even sexually molested for driving while Asian?

So your solution to police brutality is...

(wait for it)

lower medical school admission standards for blacks???

Also, you seem to think that blacks have a monopoly on police brutality. That offends me and it is simply a racist notion. Kudos to you for disregarding everyone else's suffering for the advancement of "your" people. If that isn't insular, I don't know what is.

I already know this nation's past with regards to the Asian communities you mentioned but can you tell me how Asians are presently discriminated against on parity with AA or Hispanics even. How many Asians do you know who live in the ghetto?

I grew up with a number of Asian kids from my church that were poor and lived in the ghetto. You know what the funny thing is? They all went to great colleges and are doing pretty well. Too bad blacks and hispanics can't do that because of the Jim Crow laws that prevent them from learning how to read. Oh wait, those were repealed over 50 years ago.

I'm so tired of the silver spooners always gotta drag Obama into everything. It is not Obama's fault that Asians are over-represented in medicine and that by some magical algorithm, the medical school admissions process is now trying to fix incoming classes to reflect the diversity of our nation.

What a ****ing racist statement. Your way of "fixing" medical school admissions is by lowering admissions standards for blacks. Oh, that's fixing it alright. Just not in the same way as making something that was broken work again.

Maybe we should have a medical school "fix" admission by making it obscenely difficult for blacks to enroll. Oh wait, we did that before and we came to the conclusion that it was ****ing racist.

I am done with this conversation. It's pointless and stupid. I never said Asian Americans have a leg up on the admissions process, but they are overrepresented because there is a higher concentration of Asians matriculating through medical school even though they are considered an American minority.

I'm pretty ****ing done with you and your self-righteous attitude to be honest. Learning to understand people outside of your own community will do wonders for you.

I have absolutely nothing against Asians or anyone for that matter except when they hijack threads that were designed to be supportive to those who are discriminated against in other pre-allo threads time and again on this site for their own agenda.

Well excuse us for demanding equality. I could imagine Bull Connor saying the same thing too... "I have absolutely nothing against Blacks or anyone for that matter except when they protest on streets for their own agenda."

(Not seeing too many anti-Asian threads on SDN either, btw, or posts about Asian's inferior intelligence or deserving of higher education)

That's because we don't whine about needing a leg up. We are simply asking for equality. Maybe you could consider doing the same.

In retrospect, I regret a lot of what I said last night. I guess now everyone has seen me at my angriest LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
My posts make you think I'm racist? I just now returned to this thread against my better judgment. Thank you @Noomm for sharing your beliefs and your apology for sharing them.

About what you said...

sx5ajr.jpg

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
My posts make you think I'm racist? I just now returned to this thread against my better judgment. Thank you @Noomm for sharing your beliefs and your apology for sharing them.

About what you said...

sx5ajr.jpg

Best of luck to you.
Ehh I mostly regret the part where I lashed out and dropped f bombs on you. I still stand by the part about you being racist. You are a funny racist though and I like you even though I strongly disagree with your beliefs.

This may be shocking, but you might be a racist that doesn't realize they're racist.
Lol nice jokes man

Maybe if you actually responded to my arguments with logical counterarguments of your own I would be more inclined to take you seriously

Lol nice jokes man

Maybe if you actually responded to my arguments with logical counterarguments of your own I would be more inclined to take you seriously
Maybe if you were less racist and oblivious to your privilege I'd be inclined to take you seriously ;)

Reactions: 3 users
You said you grew up with Asian kids who were poor. Yet I'm the one who's insular. Did you have any Black friends? Please re-read your post. You come as as a raging racist, which as some of my Asian friends have told me, is not uncommon in some Asian communities. I never mentioned anything about police brutality being limited to Blacks, you did. I never mentioned anything about lowering standards for Blacks (why does a discussion about URMs always turn into one about AAs?) for the medical school admissions process - in fact I called the process a magical algorithm because I can't pretend to know how and why they choose to admit students - but I'm willing to bet adcoms want future doctors who care about their patients without stereotyping people and judging them based on preconceived notions of their intellect or "whininess."

Amazing how Jim Crowe laws were repealed 50 years ago yet you brought up Chinese Americans building the railroad and Japanese Americans being interned in WWII camps. How about I bring up slavery? Or I could just post an article I read every single day about disparity and racism against URMs because I actually like to be culturally relevant and know what I'm talking about outside my little unprivileged bubble. Makes me think, despite it all, my life could be much worse.

I'm still alive. I have an education. I have hope for a better life even if I have to scratch and claw my way up among people who think less of me for not having had their skin color, head-start, connections, and money to get where they are. But I thank God for what privilege I do have, being born in a first-world country where in theory meritocracy is one of our founding ideals. Making it should be possible. Others have done it, knock on wood I one day join their ranks.

Grow up kid, seriously. Racism is not a good look. "F" bomb me all you want, at the end of the day, your opinion doesn't matter. But thanks for the comment about me being a good writer. Thanks for not qualifying it with "for a Black woman." Much appreciated.

By the way, research racism. Oppressed people cannot be racist. Prejudiced perhaps, but not racist. Frankly I'm amazed I am still as open-minded as I am. The more I learn about other people's inner ignorant thoughts, the more I have to strive to try to love everyone equally despite their nastiness and bigotry.

I really don't care that you think I'm racist against Asians. But I think the rest of the people on this planet who identify as Asian (Chinese, Korean, Nepalese, Tibetans, Filipinos, Laotians, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Indian, Japanese, Indonesian, Malaysian, and too many more to list, plus their interracial mixes) might not want you to be the self-appointed mouthpiece for them. That reeks of narcissism and not all Asians think alike. (Maybe you're racist against Asians, rofl)

Fyi, there's a post on pre-allo about Asian women being beautiful exotic mythical white Buffaloes with almond-shaped eyes that reeks of creepy racist sexual fetishism. Where's the outrage? I must have missed your comments. Oh that's right. He was a white guy so he gets a pass for being either White, male, or both. No "f" bombs from you on that one.

Now I am really done with you and this conversation. I sincerely hope we both learn and grow from this interaction.

mlk.jpg

Last edited:
In retrospect, I regret a lot of what I said last night. I guess now everyone has seen me at my angriest LOL
I suggest you should more regret coming into this thread. It is not appropriate for you to be here and you are not welcome. You were not specifically mentioned and it is not a thread to argue against affirmative action. You are as inappropriate here as someone who goes to a comedy club and screams about hating comedy or someone who goes to the DNC to fight for republican values. Kindly see yourself out before making even more of a fool of yourself.

I suggest you should more regret coming into this thread. It is not appropriate for you to be here and you are not welcome. You were not specifically mentioned and it is not a thread to argue against affirmative action. You are as inappropriate here as someone who goes to a comedy club and screams about hating comedy or someone who goes to the DNC to fight for republican values. Kindly see yourself out before making even more of a fool of yourself.
I apologize. I didn't realize that you wanted to be segregated.

But I thank God for what privilege I do have, being born in a first-world country where in theory meritocracy is one of our founding ideals. Making it should be possible. Others have done it, knock on wood I one day join their ranks.

Much respect for you being able to say that. Don't let people get you down.

I personally think many people feel that if URMs are given extra opportunity, they as a group will eventually rise up and eventually take control.

The consequence of that is that certain groups have to lose control for that to happen.

I can see how that feeling...whether subconscious or in the forefront...losing control, makes it hard for people to give special consideration to URMs.

Therein lies the problem. There shouldn't be one group "in control" to begin with.

As a white male I get that whole losing control thing since it's the position I was born into in this country. It has taken a good chunk of my life to get over that. It's difficult to put oneself into a position of not even having that control to begin with when one is born into that "position of control" (using that term very loosely).

Ask me when I was 20 about affirmative action and I'm sure I would have spewed all kinds of nonsense about how all should be judged equally on their grades.

Ask me now and I pretty much have the opposite opinion.

Anyone who formulates the conclusion that URMs are inherently less intelligent as a group because they are accepted to schools with lower stats needs to be slapped upside the head...or at least have someone help them open their eyes and minds to how growing up as someone different or in a different environment can really change things.

Walk a mile in someone's shoes...eh. Live a life in someone else's body and soul? Then maybe we would get it.

No cookie expected...just adding to discussion.

Much respect for you being able to say that. Don't let people get you down.

I personally think many people feel that if URMs are given extra opportunity, they as a group will eventually rise up and eventually take control.

The consequence of that is that certain groups have to lose control for that to happen.

I can see how that feeling...whether subconscious or in the forefront...losing control, makes it hard for people to give special consideration to URMs.

Therein lies the problem. There shouldn't be one group "in control" to begin with.

As a white male I get that whole losing control thing since it's the position I was born into in this country. It has taken a good chunk of my life to get over that. It's difficult to put oneself into a position of not even having that control to begin with when one is born into that "position of control" (using that term very loosely).

Ask me when I was 20 about affirmative action and I'm sure I would have spewed all kinds of nonsense about how all should be judged equally on their grades.

Ask me now and I pretty much have the opposite opinion.

Anyone who formulates the conclusion that URMs are inherently less intelligent as a group because they are accepted to schools with lower stats needs to be slapped upside the head...or at least have someone help them open their eyes and minds to how growing up as someone different or in a different environment can really change things.

Walk a mile in someone's shoes...eh. Live a life in someone else's body and soul? Then maybe we would get it.

No cookie expected...just adding to discussion.

Just saying that even if 100% of doctors weren't white, whites would still be in control in this country. Doctors have zero political clout because their lobbying skills are apparently terrible.

What you're saying is more of a reason for you to become a physician.

Edit: Whew Lawd, I just read through the whole thing....I have too much to say with not enough patience to do it. Some folks have adopted "the Dream" and refuse to open their eyes to reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh don't be silly. Go read the sociopolitical forums and you'll learn that physicians treat all patients equally without regard to color, gender, sexuality, age, etc. There might be "studies" that contradict this, but once you go through residency you will simply know this without the need for science.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, and yes, this is what many people in that forum are saying.

I feel you OP, I made a thread just like this a year or two ago when I was feeling really down about the endless PreAllo race arguments. I was so tired of being mad at people on the internet who I felt I needed to respond to because in my mind they were just like the kids in my high school or the teachers that didn't care about me or other people's racist parents, politicians on tv etc, etc

I got off SDN for a while at that point. I started working at a free clinic in the city and have the privilege of working alongside physicians, other premeds, pharmacists and such who are passionate about helping the poor and vulnerable receive quality healthcare or help them find ways to do so if we cannot help them. This really raised my spirits because at the end of the day no matter how many people on SDN think I'm a communist zealot I get to go out every week and make sure that a doctor and a patient who don't speak the same language understand each other. It's not brain surgery, super intense research, or particularly difficult since I'm a native Spanish speaker but I get to do something positive for somebody else. I still get in arguments on SDN and I blew up recently in PreAllo over that Ben Carson thread but I'm optimistic about the future of medicine because I know the loudest and most offensive SDN types aren't the majority out there.

However, we should always remember to not fall into the trap of comparing different types of struggles no matter how easy and obvious the situation might lend itself to such a comparison. There are racist, hateful people out there who are in grinding poverty and suffer many of the same ills poor minorities do. Is their struggle the same? No. But we must understand that whenever someone is suffering it is difficult for them to take the idea that they are somehow more privileged than another group seriously. I'm in no way trying to justify racism or hatred but what you quoted is absolutely correct. Only love can drown out hate. People are much more willing to extend compassion to others if they are receiving it as well.

Besides, it is as Dr. Paul Farmer wrote: "There is not a long line of people waiting to serve the poor. If you want to help you can easily walk to the front of that short line." Best of luck, don't give up.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a little late, but this thread caught my eye. I often hear from medical students and pre-meds disparaging comments regarding URM applicants getting a "red carpet" into medical school admissions. Interestingly, some URM students I have met even subscribe to this view and expect to get auto-accepted to medical school even if they get a 20 percentile score on the MCAT and never bothered to volunteer or anything else that makes one a competitive applicant in general. [This is a very s***y attitude, by the way.]

I am not URM myself, but I come from a low SES background. I have lived in areas with abject poverty, and significant parts of my primary and secondary education were spent at schools that had low averages for standardized test scores, lazy teachers, and poor curriculum quality. As a result, some subjects were harder for me to learn due to receiving poor instruction in those areas (STEM). Despite these obstacles, I still managed to score competitively on the MCAT and make good grades in college. I never scored high enough on intelligence assessments to get into Gifted programs, so my education pre-post-secondary has been what everyone else I went to school with has received. I also could not afford prep courses for MCAT, and most of what I used to prepare was through the library.

Because of my experiences in low SES communities and going to schools with an impoverished URM (African-American) majority, I can certainly understand how disparities in terms of material wealth and societal-level discrimination (both historically or current) can grant people disadvantage in life in terms of education. I was fortunate enough to spend many of my early years in areas with decent schools (even if the area itself was lower SES), so it is possible that this helped me in some way despite my obvious disadvantage in my secondary education. Additionally, I went to a public post-secondary institution that did a good job preparing me for the STEM portions of my MCAT due to a combination of excellent instructors and resources (tutoring, remedial instruction, etc.). For those who spent their entire lives going to crappy schools and possibly going to an institution that lacked adequate resources to help students, I can understand how people can struggle, regardless of race.

With that said, however, maybe there is something to be said regarding how applicants are admitted by race. Perhaps admitting students by taking only/mostly race into account is the wrong way of trying to correct social injustices and prevent discrimination. I personally feel that one's SES status should carry greater weight than race when institutions are seeking diversity for future student cohorts. There is a lot of discrimination and disadvantage arising from one's SES status that can definitely have similar, if not the same, effects on one's educational and career outlook as those who suffered the same because of race. Hypothetically speaking, someone who just happens to be URM but was born to a wealthy family and received a stellar education should NOT be held to the same standards as URMs who struggle with grades and test scores with respect to medical school admissions. I have met many non-URM living in abject poverty who feel alienated and discouraged in terms of education due to current affirmative action policies. Perhaps something can be done to make everyone happy and make admissions fairer without compromising cohort quality.

EDIT: I just want to point out that the aforementioned low SES areas where I received an education were either White/Latino majority or African-American majority. The latter were definitely worse off in terms of student resources, so I understand some of the arguments presented above with respect to racial privilege. Despite this, I feel this does not undermine my argument that SES having greater weight than race may lead to fairer admissions and greater diversity.

...I just want to point out that the aforementioned low SES areas where I received an education were either White/Latino majority or African-American majority. The latter were definitely worse off in terms of student resources, so I understand some of the arguments presented above with respect to racial privilege. Despite this, I feel this does not undermine my argument that SES having greater weight than race may lead to fairer admissions and greater diversity.

A well thought out post. While I highly agree that SES should be considered in admissions, in fact it already is at many schools including my own, I don't find the current policy to be egregious. Why? Because, as you mentioned anyone can be SES status, PoC and SES are dealt a double whammy. Historically, as you well know, skin color kept qualified people out of higher education and high paying jobs leading to the SES status PoC now disproportionally represent. As you astutely inferred, this had a very deleterious effect especially on the AA community.This effect isn't exclusive to PoC (cis-males), it also extends to women of any color for the same discriminatory reasons mentioned — though women certainly are catching up percentage wise in medicine, their leadership roles and pay gap still has much to say about that — though, that's a whole other thread entirely.

We always present the argument as if the URM is under performing, but what is the URM had the same GPA/MCAT as a ORM all the while enjoying lifelong SES status also known to some ORMs? Would this make the two parties equal? I only ask because it's always presented as if the URM accepted scored lower, statistically they may be true (esp since most AAs go to historically black colleges who are sensitive to WHY their scores might be lower), it doesn't necessarily ring true for all individuals (as such is the case for my classmates, and many other URMs I know) who ended up being typical matriculated applicants.

In theory getting the same scores for the same given class status should make us equals, but as a black male, I know in practice this is typically categorically false. Given the same statistics PoC are less likely to get the same job position, more likely to be stopped and prosecuted by the court systems, more likely to be expelled for the same offenses, a president who's apparently not American because he's a 'strange' hue and has a weird name, and even less likely to receive pain medication in the ED when claiming to be in 'equal' pain to their cohorts, you can shoot a black person for free if you yell "He was coming right at us": I would say we have a long way to go before we can say that race isn't a consideration. If it can be used against us, with very little argument, I don't see what's the big gripe when it's used in a positive way. Get rid of the negatives, then we can talk about the merits of losing the consolation prize of being a police shooting dummy.

Hypothetically, and trust me my friend all PoC are waiting on it, we should be judged by our situation and character alone. But, it's currently not the way that it is; pretty much, the system was gamed before you and I were born. Some people gained a huge advantage, most PoC experienced a disadvantage, and some ORMs were left in the 'back scratching' dust because they didn't have those insider people. While I understand your position, and your plight as an ally of the SES class, not asserting that things are peachy enough to not consider race is akin (in my opinion) to someone cheating the last 4 hours in the game of Monopoly then asserting we should all play fairly and by the rules now that they're up — the noun "you" doesn't refer to you per se.

I'm sorry that you're misjudged for having an abundance of privilege, again this could be a whole other thread. But, discrimination breeds privilege, it's true rather we take advantage of it or not, e.g: I as a straight male PoC enjoy privileges clearly denied to gay male PoC, as a male I enjoy privileges not given to females, as an "able-bodied" person I enjoy privileges. Because I'm aware of that I'm personally okay with any policy that works to even the odds, even if it's heavy handed.

I can escape the discrimination brought on by SES, I'm already doing it by building up capitol and investing in my career. However, I'll never escape the
discrimination that might be brought on by what I look like. Best wishes and a great reply!

Reactions: 4 users
I really don't want to argue. I simply want to share something about my life.

I'm a Native American from the Southeast. I grew up extremely poor. I lived in housing projects most of my pre-adult life (my tribe has no reservation). My father had only a 4th grade education and my mom never learned to read. I'm the first person in my family to even graduate high school. I'm currently in a special masters program to prove myself to medical schools. As a child I was more worried about eating than trying to learn. Even as an adult I still feel the effects of not starting out with a good education.

After my SMP I hope my application will be good enough to apply.