I am worried about the DAT score... how hard is it, really, compared to Kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jungleprince

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just taken about five biology practice DAT from Kaplan packages and I got ~13-16 from each one of them.
After I took one test, I looked over missed materials and I thought I mastered them after going over, but the next test had totally different questions, with only few overlapping questions!
So, I am worried now.
What, if I studied all kaplan materials and get ~20 on the bio section, and still get ~15 on the real DAT?
Anyone know whether mastering Kaplan materials helped on the their real DAT a lot?

PS: I am planning to take the DAT early May... please let me know if my plan works out.

going over Kaplan blue book -> do all Kaplan course practice -> do Destroyer -> do Topscore, take test!

Members don't see this ad.

In my personal experience the Kaplan tests were harder in relation to science material. But the PAT section of the actual DAT was much harder. As for the varying questions of material covered, anything is game on the actual DAT. Realistically when I took the DAT there were questions that were not covered by Kaplan. Just study the concepts and be able to work your way through questions and think critically.

What, if I studied all kaplan materials and get ~20 on the bio section, and still get ~15 on the real DAT?
Anyone know whether mastering Kaplan materials helped on the their real DAT a lot?

This is exactly what I did: I mastered all of Kaplan sciences by reading and re-reading over the blue book and all of the subject tests for each topic. I also went thru Topscore and Achiever. It was definitely enough for both bio and gchem (I scored 99.6 percentile in bio and 96.4 percentile in gchem), but I didn't fare quite as well in Ochem.

That is what I am in the process of doing. I plan on using all the material that Kaplan provides.

Members don't see this ad :)
wooahh great score!! top 5%... just what i wish to get!

This is exactly what I did: I mastered all of Kaplan sciences by reading and re-reading over the blue book and all of the subject tests for each topic. I also went thru Topscore and Achiever. It was definitely enough for both bio and gchem (I scored 99.6 percentile in bio and 96.4 percentile in gchem), but I didn't fare quite as well in Ochem.

this was a good question cause i was wondering the same thing cause i'm doing kaplan...and just finished my second bio test...um yeah please tell me the actual test i can go up 6 points cause it's not looking good

diagnostic bio:12
test one bio: 15
test 2 bio: 16

but i thought i did better on the second test...like waay higher...eh guess that's why everyone says, just keep taking practice test.

this was a good question cause i was wondering the same thing cause i'm doing kaplan...and just finished my second bio test...um yeah please tell me the actual test i can go up 6 points cause it's not looking good

diagnostic bio:12
test one bio: 15
test 2 bio: 16

but i thought i did better on the second test...like waay higher...eh guess that's why everyone says, just keep taking practice test.

Are those your scores from an actual kaplan practice test or the section test? How did you convert the score if they are section test, kaplan only gives me the percent correct.

People who took the actual DAT and decide to try to improve their score by taking the kaplan course...score the same on the kaplan diagnostic. From what I've seen.