• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

I bet you've never seen one of these before

Robotjim

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2008
CA
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Sorry guys and gals but its time for me to start preparing for grad school decisions and deciding which career to pursue....I really like everything that I have read about clinical pharmacy and I am seriously thinking about applying to pharmacy schools...so could I please run my stays by you all and get some feedback on what my chances are and any other info that will be helpful to me...?? Thank you so much

Gpa 3.1
    sci gpa 3.2
    No pharmacy experience
    Over 5 years of hospital work experience as a phlebotomist and lab tech
    ca resident

shehsheh

10+ Year Member
    Dec 12, 2007
    1. Pharmacy Student
      Sorry guys and gals but its time for me to start preparing for grad school decisions and deciding which career to pursue....I really like everything that I have read about clinical pharmacy and I am seriously thinking about applying to pharmacy schools...so could I please run my stays by you all and get some feedback on what my chances are and any other info that will be helpful to me...?? Thank you so much

Gpa 3.1
      sci gpa 3.2
      No pharmacy experience
      ca resident

You should get some pharmacy experience, maybe work/volunteer as a pharmacy clerk or try and shadow a pharmacist, to see if you like the career. Reading about a career is a lot different than working as one.

I wouldn't commit my life to something unless I KNEW that this is what I wanted to do.

If you could raise your cum gpa to at least a 3.2 and science ~3.4, you would be more competitive. Most schools have a "only offer interviews to candidates with at least a 3.2" (in california that is). For example, in the November interview at USC, Jim said something like, "i know that all of you here have at least a 3.2 gpa"... also last year I had spoken to someone at Western and she mentioned the same thing. Of course there will always be exceptions but the "rule" is for the majority.

Good luck.

About the Ads

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Oct 21, 2007
      !!!!!
      1. Pharmacist

Gpa 3.1
        sci gpa 3.2
        No pharmacy experience
        ca resident

I don't know which schools you are applying to but if you are applying to the CA schools you are in the dangerous position. Your GPA lies more towards the lower end of the applicant range and you need strong SOLID EC's to compensate for it. Otherwise, good luck !:luck:

AbsoluteEthanol

PHARMACY STUD
        10+ Year Member
        Jan 15, 2008
        Southern California
        1. Pharmacy Student

Gpa 3.1
          sci gpa 3.2
          No pharmacy experience
          ca resident

As I've said in a previous thread to a california resident with similar stats: your chances of getting into a california school are 0.01% (barring an absolute miracle). when the average student accepted has a gpa of 3.5-3.6, with a fair share of pharmacy related E.Cs your 3.1 with no E.C really pales in comparison.

I suggest you study up for the pcat and apply to neighboring states, i.e Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico.

JimblyUK

10+ Year Member
          Mar 13, 2008
          Portland, OR
          1. Pre-Pharmacy
            I suggest you study up for the pcat and apply to neighboring states, i.e Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico.

Doesn't Oregon count as neigbouring to Ca? :(

The 2 schools in Oregon, Oregon State University and Pacific University, don't require PCAT as far as I'm aware.

edit: Pacific University does require 40 hours Pharmacy shadowing/volunteering..not sure about OSU.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.