i called walmart and told them i wanted to work in their pharmacy, they took my name and number

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
whoever picked up took my name, number, and what school i go to. i asked for the district manager's contact information, i couldn't get it. i was told i had to speak to the pharmacy manager at that store first and i was told she "just" left for the day. what should i do now, call back tomorrow when they open?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this for intern job? The pharmacy manager will be the one whose going to do the hiring. I would wait for the manager to call you. I wouldn't try contacting back until it has been a week. Calling everyday is just annoying.

Reactions: 1 users
yes this is for any type of job, i'm a pharmacy student on appes. i think i'm going to call again tomorrow in the morning around 10am and that's it

Members don't see this ad :)
You're looking for a job on Appe?

Where were you the past 4 years?

Reactions: 2 users
yes this is for any type of job, i'm a pharmacy student on appes. i think i'm going to call again tomorrow in the morning around 10am and that's it

They're not gonna take you on if your on your APEs. Most companies will interview their interns first before committing anything to the outside pool. I wouldn't hold my breath unless your area has a shortage of grad interns.

Reactions: 1 user
1. give them about a week- or else you will be annoying (ya, I got your number, give me a chance)
2. You are on your appe - very hard to get a job, your schedule is so variable. Unless you can commit to an every weekend, or every other weekend, plus a set number of nights a week, you are going to get passed over. No one wants to hire someone for a week. I was doing my appe's in a highly unsaturated area 12 years ago and it took me forever to find a job, and this was location overing 20-30k sign on bonuses for rph's, and none of them wanted an APPE. In today's world, it is going to be very very very difficult for you

update: i sent an e-mail about a week ago to someone that was referred to me by the walmart pharmacist. haven't heard back. i think i should wait until tomorrow or maybe even today to call the walmart again. tell the pharmacist that i reached out but never heard back. really not sure how else to proceed at this point

... Surely you're joking.

Cold calling at the store level is the easiest way to let that store/pharmacy and their district manager know that you have very little life experience and common sense.

Depending on how busy they are, it might really irritate them.

The Pharmacy Manager has next to nothing to do with it.

The person you need would be a Regional Manager, specifically the "Healthcare Recruiting and Campus Relations" regional manager.

Last edited:
update: i sent an e-mail about a week ago to someone that was referred to me by the walmart pharmacist. haven't heard back. i think i should wait until tomorrow or maybe even today to call the walmart again. tell the pharmacist that i reached out but never heard back. really not sure how else to proceed at this point

Just stay at cvs for a year it will be good training

Just stay at cvs for a year it will be good training
what do you mean? i don't think employment at CVS is guaranteed even though i've been with them for 3 years. most of my time there i haven't really expressed interest in working retail, therefore i haven't been recommended by my pharmacy managers to people making hiring decisions, i'm also in my 6th year. i guess i could e-mail the intern coordinator as well as other regional managers expressing my interest, however, i'm not sure how i feel about doing cvs. i don't mind retail, but cvs seems very extreme. i'd prefer a grocery store pharmacy

what do you mean? i don't think employment at CVS is guaranteed even though i've been with them for 3 years. most of my time there i haven't really expressed interest in working retail, therefore i haven't been recommended by my pharmacy managers to people making hiring decisions, i'm also in my 6th year. i guess i could e-mail the intern coordinator as well as other regional managers expressing my interest, however, i'm not sure how i feel about doing cvs. i don't mind retail, but cvs seems very extreme. i'd prefer a grocery store pharmacy
employment at walmart isnt guaranteed either, even with 3 years of experience and you have none my friend. I think your odds are much better at CVS vs Walmart.

employment at walmart isnt guaranteed either, even with 3 years of experience and you have none my friend. I think your odds are much better at CVS vs Walmart.
okay, i am going to send out an e-mail expressing interest to the hiring supervisors. i was told that the supervisors contact the students with interview opportunities sometime during october. if my pharmacy managers have mentioned that other students at my store are interested in employment and didn't mention me am i screwed?

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, i am going to send out an e-mail expressing interest to the hiring supervisors. i was told that the supervisors contact the students with interview opportunities sometime during october. if my pharmacy managers have mentioned that other students at my store are interested in employment and didn't mention me am i screwed?
I don't think so. Interests aren't set in stone. In my P4 year, I switched from an interest in hospital pharmacy to an interest in ambulatory care because of great ambulatory care experiences and a better understanding of what practice in a hospital looks like. I like spending time with patients and knowing who my patients are. Hospital pharmacy wouldn't have been a great fit for me.

Your change in interest from hospital to retail or ambulatory care to retail isn't that different. Let your PIC know about your newfound interest :)

Dude, stop calling the stores and interrupting their work. I guarantee you that if they took down your info, they threw it straight in the trash. Don't call the DM either, unless you want that person to write you off as naive or a pain in the ass. Go to their website and fill out the online application like a normal person.

Reactions: 4 users
I stopped calling the stores. I have already went on their website and filled out an application for a pharmacist manager position. That was the only position available in my area. I have not heard back. I e-mailed the field supervisor of my CVS expressing interest in an interview, awaiting a reply now.

Dude, stop calling the stores and interrupting their work. I guarantee you that if they took down your info, they threw it straight in the trash. Don't call the DM either, unless you want that person to write you off as naive or a pain in the ass. Go to their website and fill out the online application like a normal person.

Not sure if serious, the only way I know of to get a job is to call the DM personally. Most random online apps do not get serious consideration from my understanding. For my jobs I interviewed first then did the app as a formality.

Yeah. Call back there again when the store opens.
Make sure you leave your name and phone number again.

I really like how positive you are regarding these retail positions.

Not sure if serious, the only way I know of to get a job is to call the DM personally. Most random online apps do not get serious consideration from my understanding. For my jobs I interviewed first then did the app as a formality.

I am serious, although admittedly I've spent most of my career in hospital. It's been my experience that managers don't want people to call and ask about openings because that's annoying and interrupts their other work. For every job I've had, it's been the other way around - fill out the online app first, then they ask you to an interview. The only time it's worthwhile to approach a DM and ask about job openings is at a job fair.

Reactions: 3 users

Nah...no one at walgreens will give you their DM's phone number...maybe an email if they like you. Yea, if you call my DM...he won't pick up or if he does...he'll ask how you got his number and then yell at that person and not hire you. People are busy...stop calling them. A professional email will suffice. If I was DM and I was getting phone calls everyday by interns and people wanting jobs...I'd be annoyed as fuk...into the trash goes your app. As for calling the stores, most people will just toss your info in the trash. My advice to OP is you call once...get the hiring manager or DM's email...and go from there. Stop bothering the staff at the stores.

Last edited:
I stopped calling the stores. I have already went on their website and filled out an application for a pharmacist manager position. That was the only position available in my area. I have not heard back. I e-mailed the field supervisor of my CVS expressing interest in an interview, awaiting a reply now.

lmao...you haven't graduated yet and you're applying for pharmacy manager position...that's so adorable.

Reactions: 6 users
I am serious, although admittedly I've spent most of my career in hospital. It's been my experience that managers don't want people to call and ask about openings because that's annoying and interrupts their other work. For every job I've had, it's been the other way around - fill out the online app first, then they ask you to an interview. The only time it's worthwhile to approach a DM and ask about job openings is at a job fair.

Yeah hospital is quite different, I simply can't imagine throwing my app in with 3 dozen others though.

Nah...no one at walgreens will give you their DM's phone number...maybe an email if they like you. Yea, if you call my DM...he won't pick up or if he does...he'll ask how you got his number and then yell at that person and not hire you. People are busy...stop calling them. A professional email will suffice. If I was DM and I was getting phone calls everyday by interns and people wanting jobs...I'd be annoyed as fuk...into the trash goes your app. As for calling the stores, most people will just toss your info in the trash. My advice to OP is you call once...get the hiring manager or DM's email...and go from there. Stop bothering the staff at the stores.

Man that is harsh. Though I guess for a non licensed rph/student they are useless until having the license.
Maybe I'm weird but I gain great satisfaction helping other rph get interviews and prn jobs etc. Or it could be I've had nice DM these last few years.

lmao...you haven't graduated yet and you're applying for pharmacy manager position...that's so adorable.

Nobody wants to be a pharmacy manager, OP is exactly who they are looking for, naive, fresh pharmacists to take the job.

OP, filling in the on-line application is good. If you are looking for a pharmacist job, then the store level will have nothing to do with your hiring, so don't call back. If you are looking for a tech/intern job, then I would try to call back and talk to the manager, but find out when he will be in, then call maybe 5 or so hours into his shift (don't call at the beginning or end of the shift.) Messages are often lost between shifts, so if you left a message, I wouldn't count on it reaching him.

update: i sent in a professional e-mail to the field supervisor of cvs a few days ago. i'll give it about 1-2 weeks and see if i get a reply

i'm pretty desperate for anything at this point, which is why i sent in an application for a pharmacy manager position at walmart. i haven't heard anything back about that application. some people here are telling me to call walmart back and ask for the manager? not sure if that's a good idea, i can give a call and tell them that i messaged the e-mail address they gave me and never heard back. should i do that?

update: i sent in a professional e-mail to the field supervisor of cvs a few days ago. i'll give it about 1-2 weeks and see if i get a reply

i'm pretty desperate for anything at this point, which is why i sent in an application for a pharmacy manager position at walmart. i haven't heard anything back about that application. some people here are telling me to call walmart back and ask for the manager? not sure if that's a good idea, i can give a call and tell them that i messaged the e-mail address they gave me and never heard back. should i do that?

Only ask for the manager if you want to apply for an intern position. You haven't graduated yet, so why are you saying that you're desperate? The days of getting an offer 6-12 months before you graduate are long gone. Unless, you've already been working for the company; I'd say wait til early next year to start applying. No one is going to take your application seriously when you're 1 year from graduation.

Only ask for the manager if you want to apply for an intern position. You haven't graduated yet, so why are you saying that you're desperate? The days of getting an offer 6-12 months before you graduate are long gone. Unless, you've already been working for the company; I'd say wait til early next year to start applying. No one is going to take your application seriously when you're 1 year from graduation.

should i call other walmarts tomorrow and ask for an intern position? interviews at cvs are starting i think, i was talking to a friend at my store and he was offered an interview. i wasn't offer one, i think it's because i expressed interest in the company too late so i wasn't recommended by the pharmacists at my store. i'm 9 months away from graduation

should i call other walmarts tomorrow and ask for an intern position? interviews at cvs are starting i think, i was talking to a friend at my store and he was offered an interview. i wasn't offer one, i think it's because i expressed interest in the company too late so i wasn't recommended by the pharmacists at my store. i'm 9 months away from graduation
Don't stop trying and thinking about where you want to end up, but don't panic either. I didn't have a job offer until the week after graduation. Even that point was a little early. They didn't really want a grad intern, but that was all I was qualified for on my first day.

From personal experience, you should be able to find a pharmacist position depending on how particular you are; however, grad intern positions are hard to come by. Grad intern positions will fill up in advance of graduation, so apply early. You will be at a huge disadvantage for any pharmacist position if you don't have an active license. If you don't find a job farther out, things will be easier once you are licensed.

Don't stop trying and thinking about where you want to end up, but don't panic either. I didn't have a job offer until the week after graduation. Even that point was a little early. They didn't really want a grad intern, but that was all I was qualified for on my first day.

From personal experience, you should be able to find a pharmacist position depending on how particular you are; however, grad intern positions are hard to come by. Grad intern positions will fill up in advance of graduation, so apply early. You will be at a huge disadvantage for any pharmacist position if you don't have an active license. If you don't find a job farther out, things will be easier once you are licensed.

you got hired as a walmart pharmacist without interning there? it would be great if i could accomplish that

Pharmacy managers at Walmart do not hire interns. MHWDs do hiring for interns.

Doesn't your school have a career fair?

Pharmacy managers at Walmart do not hire interns. MHWDs do hiring for interns.

Doesn't your school have a career fair?
i think so, i haven't heard of any career fairs at all this year. perhaps it is too early for them

i think so, i haven't heard of any career fairs at all this year. perhaps it is too early for them

Put out feelers but it's way too early to panic. Most schools hold career fairs in the fall (mine was in October before graduation). CVS was the only company to make formal offers before January by and large. Most people I know got offers in Feb up to graduation time. I got my formal job offer from interviewing at my schools career fair in mid March.

Most places simply aren't going to hire someone this far out. There's no use applying for an RxM position if you aren't going to be licensed until next year. Just have a plan and a resume put together and breathe a bit.