I can't believe it! HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilon09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You must be in shock. Having already submitted, I think you have no choice but to retake in August. But I would consider studying to be your full-time job until the test is taken: no job, no classes, no fun, or you will never pull this disaster out of the basket.

Getting your score back in September makes you a "late" applicant, so you won't have the statistical chance of success you'd have had if the first score was competitive. But it is still possible to get admitted even when applying very late in the cycle (I applied in November and still got in.)

Single-mindedly ride the adrenaline now coursing through your veins and succeed. Be distracted and the second test will also be a waste of money. Can you do it? If not, do not proceed with this cycle. Instead, take a formal prep course, and retake at your leisure, then try again next year.

i think your best bet is to retake it, especially if you were doing well (30+) on your practice exams.

maybe take a break from whatever else you're doing (work?), and concentrate on the mcat until then.

GOOD LUCK!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will not be a late applicant. You will be "second wave" (out of ~3). This is coming from my premed adviser who has been doing this for 15+ years (his first career was as a Dermatologist, MD). Let the schools know you are expecting a second score.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for your responses!!!! I started studying yesterday and I know that I can do better! I have no idea why i got that 18, i didnt even get a score anywhere near there during any of my practice exams!!!!!

Anyways, I will def. let the schools know that I am taking another MCAT and hope that everything will work out. Thanks again for your advice!

if you feel like you did well on the real mcat, maybe try contacting aamc to see if something went wrong with scoring? seems odd that it would be THAT much lower than practices, esp if you felt good after tkaing it.