I cant Believe Ohio State did this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yourdoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week, I called OSU to check on my application and I was so happy. The guy on the phone asked me my Social Security Number and asked me to spell my last name. I did exactly that. Then he asked my if I have received anything in the mail lately, and I said "no I have not sir." I was expecting him to not give me any info and make me wait for the mail to arrive but he to me he had good news and that I have been offered an interview! I have a really long first name so he spelled my first name to confirm (I guess) before he told me about the interview. I was so excited. I told my family, and a couple of friends a couple days later. THEN............I called today since I had not received anything about the interview in the mail and asked them to fax me the info. A few minutes later after I hung up, I got a call from OSU. The person wanted to confirm what exactly I wanted faxed because he said he wanted to make sure. I told him again and he let me the bad news...He said, "I just wanted to make sure because the letter reguarding your file that I will be faxing to you is not really what you may be expecting." I had no clue what was going on at this point. I told him that I had spoken with someone in the office last week and was informed that I have an interview scheduled for Feb. 19th. He said, " I will fax you the letter but just want to let you know so it doesn't come to you as a complete surprize." I said ok. I received the letter and yes, it stated that I have NOT been selected for interview and that my application will no longer be considered. Please pardon my language but this is F***ed UP. How can someone make such a big mistake? They even varified the spelling of my first name and told me the date for the interview over the phone last week. I can t believe this...Well, thank you for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

Eek! I guess I won't be calling them to find out the status my file... I can't deal with that kind of disappointment.
That really is crappy... Good luck with the other schools!

Man, that really sucks. Being from Columbus, I naturally thought OSU was my number one choice. Until I had my own interview, and the school just seemed "off" to me. I think the root of the problem there, is that the school is HUGE. So the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, if you know what I mean.

While we're on the topic of OSU, has anybody else been there to interview? I went last year, and as you can tell by my choice of schools, I chose not to attend OSU. I guess my biggest problem (aside from the huge size), was the three pathways system. It seemed to me that all it managed to do was create a huge ammount of competition and dissent among the students. All I heard when I was there was students bashing the other pathways, and the students in them. That's just my observation, I'm positive it's a fine school.

Yourdoc, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Good Luck, Mango

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry you guys had such horrible experiences with OSU...although I have to say that it's more likely the "management" of the place than the size of the school.

The reason I say this is because I recently went on an interview at U of Florida...HUGE school...but their medical program has been completely disengaged from the rest of the campus. The med-school and teaching hospital ARE on campus-proper but all the functioning units are separate. They have their own financial aide, bookstore, post office, cafeteria, etc., etc., etc. They have specifically tailored the program so that the students NEVER have to go to the rest of the campus for ANYTHING...except maybe a football game.
smile.gif

The reason I'm writing this post is because, frankly, before I went to interview I was FULLY expecting to hate the place. I've gone to 3 different undergrad schools...all with less than 10,000 students...so I like the "small school" feel. Even though UF is technically a LARGE school, the program felt very small and very acommodating. I was thoroughly impressed. I wish you guys had been as lucky...

Good luck with future interviews!
smile.gif

I also called last week on Wednesday inquiring about my app status. I received a rejection letter today dated two days after my phone call. Now THAT'S service!
smile.gif

I'm not discouraged, because I know how much of a crapshoot med school admissions can be. Closure is good.

Cobragirl, actually OSU's med school is also a seperate entity. It is basically on the main campus, but they have all of the same things you metioned (their own bookstore, etc).

When I said the school was HUGE, I meant the med school. They take like 260 students in each class! That's about as big as it gets, for med schools!

Hey, Mango. I notice you're also from Ohio. Did you apply to all of the Ohio medical schools? Which ones were your favorites? Thanks
smile.gif

Initially, I applied to all of them, plus 12 out-of state-schools, for a grand total of 19! Then I rethought that plan, and as the secondaries began arriving, I threw most of them away. The ones I kept were OSU, OU, Wright State, MCO, NEOUCOM, and Cincy
smile.gif

I cut out all the out-of-state schools plus Case for one reason- cost. I figure why pay 35K for the same education I can get for 10K! It just didn't make sense to go the private route.

Anyhow, MCO nixed me, I declined an interview at NEOUCOM (I had a friend go through the BS/MD program there, and she told me bad things), and I interviewed and was accepted at the remaining four.

So here goes: OSU - see above. It just felt wrong, which is the most important thing, I think. Too much competition, a weird forth year program, and too big.
Wright: A great place. Nice students and staff, good facilities, happy students. BUT, they have no hospital of their own, poor academic reputation, and it's Dayton. Nuff said.
OU - Awesome facilities, everybody was nice, but I did not like their program. Not the DO thing, but the fact that I felt like I was being recruited the whole day. And that every person had been told in advance to try and convince us that MD's were evil, and that MD schools only cared about research. Plus, I think four different students told me something like: "Oh, don't worry about the manipulation thing, like 95% of us will never use it!" That doesn't inspire me much, if you know what I mean. Also no hospital, and a new and sketchy curriculum.

And finally Cincinnati!! This was my first interview, and by far the best! I just couldn't believe how laid back and happy all the students were. I guess I had this preconceived notion of med students as total nerds who did nothing but study. But here I found really fun, and interesting people that seemed a lot like me! That was a huge selling point - happy students! We have an amazing integrated curriculum, that uses test blocks. So we only have tests during exam weeks which are spaced out every 4-6 weeks. Plus we have wonderful resources: the 3rd best children?s hospital in the country with the number one pediatric ER, the first EM residency in the nation (and still like top three), we have six hospitals in a four mile radius, including University hospital (a level 1 Trauma center) which is attached to the school! Basically you couldn't ask for much more.

There were many little things that I considered in my decision, things like the fact that we have only 4 to a cadaver, and there are Big Brother/Sisters assigned to every student, great academic reputation, residency placements, and the great city, and so on and so on.

Well, that was long winded! I hope it helped you. I hope you come here to interview and please form your own opinions of the other schools. They all have their own pluses and minuses. But finding the school that you feel most comfortable at is the most important thing, I think!
smile.gif
And remember, we are very lucky to be from a state with seven medical schools. My friends from Indiana (where I went to undergrad), only have IU! Count those blessings!!

Good Luck
Mango

PS. I'm still a huge Buckeye fan!!!!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited 02-06-2001).]