I can't believe this is happening to me.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ormd123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on the FM train most of med school. Then I did some anesthesia (aka "anes") rotations late third year and really loved it so decided to apply to anes. my ERAS application has various (4-5) parts talking about how I love and am involved with it OUTSIDE of my PS and LORs (ie, stuff I can't change). My first 3 rotations of this (4th year) is anes stuff.

I just finished an FM SUB I, and long story short: I've come to the painful and vulnerable fact that I made the wrong decision. FM is what I truly love. Its been my biggest love in medicine since 1st year, and, I feel very strongly that I should switch back to FM, even though it is October now and I've already applied with a anes-focused ERAS application.

Even with my anes-flavored application, if I get a few more FM letters in the next 2 weeks and make a new PS essentially describing what I've said above, do you guys still think its possible to match into FM and get interviews even though by the time I get my new letters it might be mid to late October and I can't undo (As far as I know) the few multiple times I talk about anes in my ERAS application? (in 1 noteworthy characteristic, and three times in the "experience section" of ERAS)

Thanks guys. I know this sounds crazy but I have to be true to myself and view my happiness in the long-term.

Members don't see this ad.

It's only october, dont see why you cant interview in FM. I applied to FM in october, interviewed in january, and got my 1st choice.

Reactions: 1 user
You are fortunate to catch this now! This might be a different story in November/December. Add FM programs ASAP - as long as you have a reasonable application you will be in good shape. If you were a competitive applicant for anesthesiology you should have no trouble matching FM at all. Also reach out to your home medical school program and talk with them!

Reactions: 1 users
You should talk about your desire to switch from anesthesia to FM after ERAS was submitted—that might get you past them raising eyebrows about the rest of your anesthesia focused application.

Reactions: 1 users