I can't even imagine doing this AGAIN!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverant 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, after taking the MCAT multiple times...I was once again stunned to find out that i scored a 6 in Verbal. PS improved to a 9 and BS 8. I was pretty shocked by the 8, bio seemed quite straight forward....even that EKG passage! I don't know what i am gonna do now. The other aspects of my application are competitive. This really bites!:(

Members don't see this ad.

like ur screen name implies, i think u should be perseverant.
i dont think anyone wants to ever take the mcats but with lots of planning and numerous pratice tests, u should be fine.

so i say if u have started the application process, go ahead with low tier schools, but definitely reconsider taking the mcats again, use examcrakers verbal practice questions, use the aamc tests and if financially possible take kaplan / priceton review courses, but think about what u did wrong or didnt do when studying for this test, and improve on it.

it isnt the end of the world, take a deep breath and look forward to swashing the april mcats, okay?

thanks immediate spring.
I guess i should have mentioned that i took the princeton review in 97 and kaplan this past year. I also studied exam krackers 1001 questions in physics and chem! So, now you can pick your jaw up off the floor! I know, I know....how is it possible to do all that work and have it not pay off. Believe me, i wish i knew the answer to that one! I am confident that test anxiety and a generalized hatred for standardized tests also played a major role in my score. I guess it is worth mentioning that my SAT's scores were horrendous also. Please don't ask....it is just too embarrasing!
The most frustrating thing is that i have so much more to offer...such as volunteer and research experience (both clinical and basic). Can't stand the fact that our applications are screened for numbers initially....oh and of course for the $! I am getting so burnt out! I am just hoping somebody will show some pity!:(

Hi there,
Just wanted to give a little encouragement. I got a 22 in april 7v, 6p, 9b Q. Decided late to take the august exam (one month prior). I studied a lot for the august exam, maybe 3-4 hours a day, and took one day a week off. Ended up with a 26 Q, went up 3 points in verbal, 2 points in ps, and down one point in bio. I thought examkrackers really helped. I seriously reccomend their 101 verbal passages. As far as ochem is concerned, I thought kaplan was decent. Examkrackers bio is good as well as gen chem and physics. I thought I could never get my score up, but I did, so don't get discouraged!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey my jaw didn't drop ;) i completely understand, if u have an anxiety over standardized tests, maybe u should practice under the mcat conditions, perhaps u have already done this,perhaps not, but u should practice a lot.

also whats ur background, if it is not science then start studying very early (like now for the april mcats).

are u URM? i could slap myself for asking this question or for what i am about to write, but if u have good EC'S and gpa, and u are a URM, then u should definitely apply to low tier schools or even take the risk of middle tier schools.

if u read a post from about a week ago, there was a guy who took the mcats like a million times and in the recent one i think he got a 17 or something, but he knew the dean of a state school and because of his perserverance in taking soooooo many mcats he has a guaranteed interview at that school.

also in the allopathic forum i believe the lowest mcat for an admitted student was 21 and he got into yale or harvard(URM, he had very good ECs), of course these are just some stats, not every gets that lucky.

if u want my very inexperienced advice, then u should definitely go ahead and apply to low tier schools if u are sure u have great EC's, or u could consider DO schools, or dare i say it, international schools. on the subject of international schools, some of them require mcats, some don't. some of them are cheaper than american schools, some aren't and most of them have great match sucess, plus u get the great international experience, okay u can read more of this in the international forum.

good luck in which ever route u chose! also if u post this in the pre-allopatic forum, u will get more responses.

keep persevering..you can do it! Life is a marathon, so keep your chin up :)