I can't find a job as a pharmacy tech/clerk!! Help!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm located in orange county and i have been applying EVERYWHERE (CVS, Walgreens, Riteaid, Target) to work as a pharmacy clerk or technician. But so far, no luck. I don't know what to do now :(

I have my pharmacy technician license but i never worked in an actual pharmacy before. I feel like the only thing keeping me from pharmacy school is the experience. How do i get pharmacy experience if people just don't give me a chance?

help?

Members don't see this ad.

i suggest you go to local pharmacies or hospitals and ask if you can volunteer or shadow a pharmacist for a couple of hours. unfortunately, places like CVS or Walgreens won't let you shadow the pharmacist because of liability issues.

as far as finding a pharm tech job, ask your friends to ask THEIR friends if they know anyone that works in the pharmacy. networking is the best way to find a job :thumbup:

I know exactly how you feel. I'm the same way - I have my license but I can't find a pharm tech job because I live in Silicon Valley :/

I suggest finding an independent pharmacy and asking the pharmacist directly if you can shadow once a week or something. It's small, but maybe if his own tech leaves for pharmacy school, you'll be poised to move into their position as a licensed tech. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same problem as you right now. I suggest doing what the other posters said, volunteer or shadow. As long as you get some kind of experience in a pharmacy -- whether it is working as a tech/clerk, volunteering, shadowing, etc. --- it's considered experience when you start applying for pharm school.

I'm in Orange County as well. I am enrolled in a pharmacy technician program at Santa Ana College.

I'm glad that I enrolled into the program because most of the pharmacies around the area do not hire pharmacy techs that do not have experience. Many of them have hired pharmacy techs that only passed the PTCB and have no knowledge of trade/generics.

I just got a job at Rite Aid. lol im a pharmacy clerk PER DIEM. i am certified. go to a rite aid, get a resume, walk up to the pharmacy manager, and give him/her ur resume. thats wut i did. l also called from the yellow pages. i think i called 20 pharmacy's. 2 called me about a job.

i was in the same boat. but all i can say is keep trying and remember, once it rains...it POURS! :)

1. volunteer. PUT THAT ON UR RESUME.
2. CALL ALL THE PHARMACIES in the yellowpages. ASK for the pharmacy manager. and ask if any positions are open.
3. dont think about it too much, itll happen soon enough and ull be in a boring pharmacy soon enough....

I'm located in orange county and i have been applying EVERYWHERE (CVS, Walgreens, Riteaid, Target) to work as a pharmacy clerk or technician. But so far, no luck. I don't know what to do now :(

I have my pharmacy technician license but i never worked in an actual pharmacy before. I feel like the only thing keeping me from pharmacy school is the experience. How do i get pharmacy experience if people just don't give me a chance?

help?

same here! just walking in pharmacies and calling, then was told that either pharmacy managers are not here, or "we are not hiring at this moment", sometimes "we just got someone hired, you missed it" is making me dizzy, oh.

I'm in Orange County as well. I am enrolled in a pharmacy technician program at Santa Ana College.

I'm glad that I enrolled into the program because most of the pharmacies around the area do not hire pharmacy techs that do not have experience. Many of them have hired pharmacy techs that only passed the PTCB and have no knowledge of trade/generics.

oh, how much does the program cost? now I realized that getting a license by taking the test is not enough, they sometimes ask if you had taken the program as well, even though you don't have experience working in the pharmacy.

Yesterday I talked to a pharmacy manager when I called, then she knew I just took the test and got a license ,she said "wow, is it that easy to get a license? it was completely a difference case many years ago. "