I can't study!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicsung3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the OAT last summer, and I was able to study very well for it, even with a heavy course load. But I'm having a really hard time concentrating on studying for the MCAT this summer. I don't really have any responsibilities right now so I don't understand why I'm having such a hard time. I have a lot of free time but I get really detracted by simple things. I recently took up gardening and I've been spending a lot of my time on that. When ever I sit down to read TPR books, I just start thinking about other things. I don't know why but I'm having such a hard time concentrating. I've heard that it takes at least 3 months of hard-core studying to do well, maybe I've just given up because I only have a month left. I got a 23 as my baseline in January, should I start taking AAMC practice tests instead of reading. I finished the physical chemistry section after doing my baseline, that was my worst subject. I also read some of the physics chapters and currently am working on Biology. I think reading really doesn't hold my interest anymore, and I don't know how helpful it is to just read things I've already learned about...I have a lot of clinical experience but not any leadership activity since high school. My GPA is 3.65 but I never thought I'd get into medical school...I like health-care but I guess I never thought I was good enough for med school :(

I've become filled with self doubt, what should I do?

btw. I"m taking the June 17th MCAT.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

there is no way back... i mean it, and according to my experience, almost all of those who are made for medicine say the exact same words as you.
believe in yourself and do yourbest.

Seriously, force yourself to do an AAMC practice exam per week until the exam. This way you'll keep the urgency and fear factor up enough to keep studying. If you're anything like a typical pre-med, this will also motivate you to keep improving and improving to see how well you can really do. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am taking it in August, which is like 3 months away. I felt like you the first week of summer but after taking a AAMC test, I was more motivated than ever. The horrendous score that I got has REALLY motivated me to study and after just a week, my BS jumped up 4 points. It's all about reading and taking good notes to refresh the topics, and you are no different than anyone regardless of whether you think you have already learned the material. So, i would recommend taking another practice test and look at another oh 23-24, (which should indicate that you don't know everything) and then tackle the books again full force. Goodluck:luck:

You can't study right now because like you said, you have a lot of free time. Ironic, I know, but it's the truth. Studying is a habit and you need to get back into it. You need to learn how to sit on a desk for 5 hours straight and study... it's hard as hell to re-learn but keep at it. One month is plenty time if you work hard. Now sit yourself on that desk and study and slap yourself every time your mind wanders off. Best way is to force yourself to do a full length every other day... it's gonna blow hardcore at first, but whatever you do, force yourself to finish it no matter how hopeless and agitated you feel. Despite what you might believe, you ARE learning and most importantly, you're conditioning your brain to start studying again for long stretches of time.

I love your "tough love" replies...thanks so much. I did the bio section on the golden standard website yesterday, I didn't do very good so then I read 40 pages of the bio review book...I think I'm slowly getting into study mode. Lets hope I can do better than just 40 pages a day...

Thanks again!