I cheated on my Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you every for sharing their opinions. I would like to tell that English is not first language. ( some people interested ). Did I cheat on my Biology ?
Yes. I recive my essay- answer test, which was graded A-. After reviewing it I realized that my explanation was very clear ... and I added 3 words and return for re-grading. They called it cheating !!! I had F and quater of suspension. This quater I worked at Stanford in pain lab. I am not sure if this suspension even on my record, but I am not going to lie in my application.

yeah, well check with your advisor to find out if its in your application, and if it is explain that you learned that cheating is wrong for so many reasons, and your judgement was cloudy in your pursuit of medicine, and that you see it is wrong not only because it is unfair to the rest of the students, but it is also unfair to yourself, because you want to genuinely learn things, and that your not there to get the highest grade possible anyway you can, but your just there to do your best, and come away with some knowledge and learn things to help you in your future career as a doctor

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you every for sharing their opinions. I would like to tell that English is not first language. ( some people interested ). Did I cheat on my Biology ?
Yes. I recive my essay- answer test, which was graded A-. After reviewing it I realized that my explanation was very clear ... and I added 3 words and return for re-grading. They called it cheating !!! I had F and quater of suspension. This quater I worked at Stanford in pain lab. I am not sure if this suspension even on my record, but I am not going to lie in my application.

haha, ouch. This whole cheat once and never be admitted to med school because equivelant to eating babies thing is way over rated. For one, you have to take in account that people who have got caught cheating have probably become more humble than half the applicant pool anyways ~ Once a cheater always a cheater? Sure, but please don't make it white and black - I would hope to baby jesus adcoms would not be so dense.

As "right" as it sounds to hear people say, "you're ****ed, buddy", and be glad another person who's trying to get credit for more than he's earned got what's coming to him, take into consideration the perspectives of these people. These are people who've slaved away for the same grade. They remember how hard they had to work for that A. They remember their buddy who did the same and got the B ("...but man, he only missed it by 1 point!"). They are so brimming with premed idealism that they think basic truths include: adcoms are uncompromising, and only the most just will/should succeed in medicine, and who can blame them. They have to have this mindset to survive. They have to tell themselves that the bar they've got to clear to be successful is at the outer reaches of their ability. They've got to assume any slip could be the end of your career.

The fact is, the same ideas hold in being successful in medical school. You've got to chase every detail and every avenue and every resource you can muster to get the A, and you've got to do it on every test. You have to assume the residency you want will be closed to you if you fall short somewhere along the line, you assume that the judicious hand of god will come down on you in the future if you fall short when you could have excelled further. You have to assume, you have to believe. You've got to.

But the truth is, when you are making those assumptions, when you've got your aim set so intently at that level of performance, at that level of accomplishment, you're bringing in a new pressure. So you've told yourself that you're willing to do (pretty much) anything to get the job done. You know what you have to do as a premed to get in. You know what you have to do as a medical student to get the residency you're gunning for. You know how high the bar is. You entertain the possibility of making a tiny adjustment in your favor, given the opportunity.

"It's so arbitrary anyway, the grading", or
"Plenty of people do so much worse, and they don't seem to care...", etc.

And you're probably right. So what's the difference? The difference is conscience. I'd like to believe that you people are chastising him out of the conscience in you that tells you what he did was wrong. But look at his story. Was it so wrong to **** up his whole life? Is your purity so much more worthy than his soiled visage to you? More importantly, who made you judge of that? The answer, of course, is no one. You're not a residency director, and you're not an admissions committee. But you assume. You assume that what you hold dear and what you have told yourself is expected of you holds true to everyone. That everyone in a position of power believes it and that it's right for you to believe it. So why is conscience "the difference", as I've so glibly suggested? Because don't you dare tell me your conscience has never been challenged by the above thoughts. Don't you dare say you've always known what side of fair vs. unfair you've landed on. You're used to gunning to succeed - deep down you know how he feels. It's not so big of a leap to put yourself in his shoes, and maybe it scares you. It should.

But my opinion? My opinion is that, yes, he will have explaining to do. He will have to convince people (yes, people, adcoms and residency directors are people, who need convincing) that his conscience is alive and well, and that he is very much a sensitive person of conscience, whose integrity can't be bought by 2 extra points on a Bio essay. I'll be damned if I know how he'll do it. But anyone here who says it's impossible is merely reflecting what they believe should be true, not the truth. It's not impossible, but it is up to you. Just like any other difficult task that's given to you in this path, you'll have to find a way to get the job done. And my advice is to do it with the sharpest of conscience and the picture of integrity...from now on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last night I was in a car chase and ended up in a shootout with the cops. I got away, but I think I hit two of them. What effect (if any) do you guys think this will have on my application?

Thank you for this...for some reason it seems that more 'what are my chances' posts came out today or I'm just being especially intolerable. :smuggrin:

If your mother tongue is not English, then you should worry about your English first instead of hanging around on SDN because communication in health fields means a lot.