pharmky

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
20
0
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Well, I decided to pay the $20 to see my PCAT scores early. I knew I wasn't prepared when I took it, and I almost chose the "no score" option. Now I wish that I had. My scores were much lower than I anticipated.

I am not going to take the Aug test and take the October test instead. But, I am worried about the 50 point jump cancellation policy (50 points would only put me at the lower end of even being competitive - Yes, it was that bad)

So, what do I do? Opinions? Confused and frustrated!

Thanks,
 

Pharmgrlnxdor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2009
359
37
Status
Pharmacist
Study your butt off four hours a day and take the August as well as October PCAT.
 
OP
P

pharmky

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
20
0
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
So, you think that I should take both the Aug and Oct tests? I was going to skip the Aug test and take the Oct instead. But, hey... It's just money. haha!
 

kidkay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
286
0
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Go for it, you don't want to have one those "what if I.." moments. however, make sure you are prepared
 

Jetninjin

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2008
189
3
Status
I don't think you should take both Aug and Oct ... if you are not ready for the Aug one, I would highly recommend you do not take it. If you score lowly on that one as well, how would that look? Pretty bad I think =X I would prepare as best you can and take either the Oct or Jan one. If you have questions about the 50-point-thingy, I would call Pearson, explain your situation and ask them directly.
 
Jun 8, 2009
150
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
I don't think you should take both Aug and Oct ... if you are not ready for the Aug one, I would highly recommend you do not take it. If you score lowly on that one as well, how would that look? Pretty bad I think =X I would prepare as best you can and take either the Oct or Jan one. If you have questions about the 50-point-thingy, I would call Pearson, explain your situation and ask them directly.
I would take both, you have 4 weeks to prepare for the august exam. Now start studying.
 

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
1,006
2
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Well, I decided to pay the $20 to see my PCAT scores early. I knew I wasn't prepared when I took it, and I almost chose the "no score" option. Now I wish that I had. My scores were much lower than I anticipated.

I am not going to take the Aug test and take the October test instead. But, I am worried about the 50 point jump cancellation policy (50 points would only put me at the lower end of even being competitive - Yes, it was that bad)

So, what do I do? Opinions? Confused and frustrated!

Thanks,
Wait until August 2010. Spend the entire year studying and guarantee yourself a 50+ point jump. Take October for no score if you want the practice, but if you get that test scored you're screwed - either it's too low to get in or it's too high to count!
 
Jun 25, 2009
24
0
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Well, I decided to pay the $20 to see my PCAT scores early. I knew I wasn't prepared when I took it, and I almost chose the "no score" option. Now I wish that I had. My scores were much lower than I anticipated.

I am not going to take the Aug test and take the October test instead. But, I am worried about the 50 point jump cancellation policy (50 points would only put me at the lower end of even being competitive - Yes, it was that bad)

So, what do I do? Opinions? Confused and frustrated!

Thanks,
If I were you, I would take both Aug and Oct tests. First, the Aug test can be a real practice for you. Second, if you can do 40 and 40 increments, your score will look fantastic, and you don't have to worry about automatic cancellation. Third, it will be a good sign to show that you are making improvements steadily. Fourth, you may miss the application dealines if you only take the Oct test because you are likely going to appeal, which may take awhile. Fifth, repeating the tests will show your commitment. The only downside is the $150 registration fee. However, it's surely worth it, if you can get into a school in 2010 instead of 2011.
 

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
1,406
10
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
I have never seen anyone getting the fifty point gain while lots of people worry about it. Surely, someone who gained fifty points and had their scores canceled would post here about it. I figure that almost nobody gets a fifty point gain so that is why Pearson's has that policy. If you think about it, why would they implement a policy that is guaranteed to generate an appeal if it happens with some frequency? My advice would be to study like crazy and take the exam when you are prepared but be realistic. You probably aren't going to get a fifty point gain so don't change your plans based on that scenario.
 

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
1,406
10
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
I'm confused....50pts jump? in your composite? or what...I never heard of this.....X_x
If you go up 50 points in your composite within a thirteen month period, they automatically cancel your scores but you can appeal it. I assume they think there is a strong possibility of cheating so they want to check it out. I can't fathom how you could cheat and raise your score 50 points unless you actually had someone else take the exam for you.