MD I COULD REALLY USE SOME ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcdrobbles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My major is molecular Bio/ cell bio with a minor in Chemistry. I attend a small private liberal arts college in NC, where i also play football. I have no dreams of going pro, my dream has always been in medicine. Im currently a senior in the pre-med program but I've had a bumpy few semesters along the way.
When i came in with football, they put us all with one advisor who was an alum of the football team who did completely general advising. Being as that the coaches and the advisor want the players to stay eligible, they pushed on us not to take difficult classes. So the first year, i took general education classes along with lower level bio classes. I did well, 3.5 gpa.
Fall semester of my sophomore year, this advisor puts me into a 400 level (upper level) biology class along with some others. I get a D in the class having no experience in how to handle that level class mid football season. So spring semester, this advisor tells me that it would be better to look at other majors and insists i take business classes. I take 15 hours of business classes and do poorly in them. So at this point my gpa is dropping dramatically. I realized that this man had no sense in advising, so i start to just put myself in bio and chem classes that i can get in. Long story short, fall semester of my junior year does not go well, now down to a 2.1 gpa.
I just finished my spring semester with a actual biology advisor, i get into the right classes and i do better. Now I'm at a 2.3 gpa. Im taking summer classes to boost my gpa and i plan on being in school an extra year or so. I don't know if this helps but I'm the first in my family to go to college, brother died right before i came to college.
I also have 300 hours of shadowing physicians, 500 hours community service, play football, member of fraternity, bio and chem clubs. Im trying to be as involved as possible to help make up for the lost couple years. Any advice is good advice at this point.How do i get my gpa up? Is there any hope for me going to medical school?

Recap:
Senior
2.3gpa
300 shadowing hours
500 hours community service
varsity athlete
in a bunch of clubs

Members don't see this ad.

As it currently stands, you will not be accepted to any medical school in the US (MD or DO). Your track record at school is not that of a student who would successfully complete the curriculum and your low GPA will get you eliminated from just about everywhere before a human can evaluate your app holistically.

Even if someone looked at your application right now, you'd be rejected for lack of clinical and research experience.
I would highly, highly suggest a formal post-bacc (don't know if SMPs will screen out a 2.3) that gives you clinical opportunities. That GPA HAS to get over a 3.0 to give you a shot. Look into osteopathic schools and their policies towards grade replacement; if you need to take the business classes again (one by one) to turn a D/F into an A, I would do it.

You have a long way to go and can't afford many more mistakes if medical school is your goal.
Best of luck

To get in to a DO school you likely have years of work ahead of you. SMPs probably wont take you. MD is pretty much all but out of the question. Do you want to spend years repairing your GPA?

If you're serious about this, you're going to need to retake many of the classes you did poorly in, essentially all/most of your pre-reqs. You need to bring up your GPA to atleast 3.2-3.3 to be competitive at DO schools AND have a good MCAT.