I could use some advice- retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r2cole1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to MSUCOM this year. It is my state school and I the institution that I have hoped to attend since day one, though before I was leaning more toward MSUCHM. Recently I spoke with a friend from undergrad who is attending MSUCOM and she really turned me on to the idea of going that route. After mulling over it for a few weeks and spending extra time here on the DO forum, I've decided that it is truly the route I want to go.

But here is my "dilemma":I had planned on retaking the MCAT this year. I scored a 25 in August. I know I am capable of doing better because of my practice scores and the fact that I didn't come close to completing any of the sections. I just need to get my timing down.

The thing is, I really cannot bring myself to study for it again. I know this sounds bad. I've always had the attitude that I would do whatever it took to make it, but honestly, I'm enjoying my life for the first time since I began college. I work 50+ hours a week as a research fellow at NIH, I have a life, friends, and I'm happy (with the exception of med school anxiety:) )

I'm just struggling with whether or not I should put the time in to retake the MCAT when my score is about what their average is. I'll be 25 this summer and I really don't want to have to re-apply when I'm 26.
My GPA, 3.4, once again , their average. I'm a state resident w/ thousands of hours of clinical experience, I'll have 2 years doing research at NIH by the time I would begin medical school, multiple publications, and I'll admit I need to do some more volunteering. Even after getting involved in some awesome research and exploring whats out there, I still can't get away from my interest delivering primary care.

Honestly, based on the above, and only relating to where I want to go (MSUCOM), do you think I should sweat it much or should I suck it up and retake this damn test?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone this year from MSU who had a 3.8 and a 21 ... and she got in .... my advice SEND UR APP IN THE FIRST DAY ITS DUE IN JUNE

I applied in Aug with a 3.2 and 27 and am on waitlist :(

Gluck and get those apps in early !!

i was in your same situation and felt the same exact way. since my gpa is strong, i figured i'd give it a shot. it's proven to be a smart decision. if you feel that you have a decent shot at it (which i also feel), then go for it. my gpa was a bit higher, but a 3.4 is still pretty good. just make sure your letters and ECs are strong as well. good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Yes, my app will be in June 1st. I do/will have solid LORs when I apply. Like I said, EC's are a concern but I am hoping that my clinical experiences will make up for the lack of them. I'd like to hear some more opinions though.

Thanks guys. Yes, my app will be in June 1st. I do/will have solid LORs when I apply. Like I said, EC's are a concern but I am hoping that my clinical experiences will make up for the lack of them. I'd like to hear some more opinions though.

yes, I definitely think that you should apply early...this way you will see how the school you want to attend will view your application. If you make it for an interview, chances are that the MCAT score will be fine...however, if you don't get the interview, you will know that the MCAT is probably what is holding you back...what was your scores for each section? I think I read that if you get at least a 7 on each section, you should be fine, but if you get less than that...that might be a red flag.

The other thing, is that you are still young...(believe me, when you are 42 and applying...25 seems very young)...don't feel pressured just to apply because of your age.

Krisss17

They let you list on your application EC's that you have done in high school and college, so try to think of as many of them as you can. If you don't have a lot of EC's I would suggest you work on that from now until June, they really like a lot of community service.

As one person in the admissions staff put it "we let you toot your own horn, but its up to you to do it"

VR 8
BS 8
PS 9
O

PS is normally my worst, but i was pleasantly surprised on the real thing :)

Jafri- I agree about getting busy on the EC's. Time to get busy on that I suppose.

Apply early and you will be fine!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm going to MSUCOM next year, I have a friend (also going) who had similar scores and was accepted. I think like every one is saying, apply very early and you should have a good shot. They don't start reviewing secondaries until october though which sucks because you have to play the waiting game for 4 months even if you get your secondary out in July.

They do a 65 35 weight thing when looking at your application, 65% of the weight goes toward your grades and scores, 35% goes toward ecs and lors. So that is actually a huge amount toward extra stuff. I would say try really hard to get a lot in before your app goes in, that way you make yourself look better too. After that, they figure out a number score for you

They take the top 20% of scores from their pool every Wednesday to look at during committee. Then they offer acceptance, waitlist.

Your scores are pretty good, so I think early enough and you're probably in good shape!! Hope that takes a bit of the mystery out of it too!

Don't take it again, your score is okay.