I could use some feedback gents :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spazz911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sophomore
Psychology Major, Chemistry Minor
Oregon
First generation Iranian

Med Schools considering:
-Oregon Health & Sciences University
-UWashington
-UFlorida
-UMiami
-New York Univ.
-Stanford
-McGill (in Quebec, Canada)

cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: 3.65

EC's:
-HIV clinic volunteering once a week since beginning of this year
-Shadowing rural internal medicine/gastroenterlogy doc 40+ hours
-Staff writer for 2 campus papers for 2 years now
-1 year worth of volunteer neuroscience research
-Vice President of Iranian student club on campus
-Secretary in Pre-med club
-Diversity Building Scholar (university award)

Likely doing chemistry research next year.
Next year will work as a chemistry demo assistant for pay.
~20 hours of clinical experience in Serbia this summer.

I know that my EC's are lacking, but I wanted to come on here to ask all of you folks what suggestions you may have.

I know about those international medical experiences that are offered but they are expensive, should I consider those?

What about the Pre-Med programs that UCLA provides to "prep" pre-med students?

In my city it's extremely difficult to find hand-on clinical experience, and the experience I already have was done outside of my respective city. Any ideas on where I should look for hands-on experience in the field?

I'm a musician of 8 years in saxophone and guitar as well as a published writer. I was told med schools like quirky talents like these, should I use them to my benefit and get involved in the school band or some literary journal? If I should, any suggestions on what to do with these 'talents' ?

Many Thanks,
~Spazz

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to U-Dub would be a waste of money. Otherwise, tough to say without an MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps I put this in the wrong forum category, but I was wondering if I could get some advice as to how to enhance my resume' as well as maybe getting a few of those questions I posted answered if anyone is so inclined :)

use the musical talent for something like playing for sick kids....that could be a very unique EC.

Try looking at various ERs, free clinics, hospices to get clincal volunteering.

I would also recommend trying to get more diversity in your shadowing.

International volunteering looks good but does not make up for a lack of continuous volunteering in the US.

What is ur instate?

Thank you J DUB for the helpful response :D

I'm an Oregon resident, and my in-state medical school is Oregon Health and Sciences University (OHSU).

I really like the idea of playing music for sick kids, that would be so fun! Do you have any other suggestions for me?