May 12, 2013
Utah
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I want to avoid the 2015 MCAT, and want to take the 2014 one.
There are a few reasons on why I want to do this, I will list them at the end of this post if you care.

My current situation is that as of April 2014, I will have 2 semesters of Gen-Chem, Bio, Physics, BUT only ONE semester of O-Chem. I am told that the way my school teaches O-Chem, the second semester makes up for a large part of the MCAT.

So the way I see things, I have two options.

Option 1
I would try to do personal study while taking classes Jan-April, and then during May-July I would take an MCAT course. I would then take the MCAT in August. In this option, I get to spend 3k on an MCAT course, but I would have to take the MCAT without the second semester of O-Chem.

Option 2
Instead of taking an MCAT course during the summer, I take the second semester of O-Chem in the summer, and then continue my personal study from August to December, and then take the MCAT January of 2015, which is the last time you can take the 2014 test.

Which do you think would be better? Or do you have another idea? Do you think a course would make up for O-Chem II?

Now, in case you were interested, the reason I want to take the 2014 MCAT.
1. I don't want to have to worry about studying Psychology and Sociology, its just more material I have to worry about.
2. I have a lot of MCAT resources, including all of SN2eds stuff, the 2014 MCAT has been around for a long time so it seems easier to prep for as people know what to expect.
3. I figure that there will be a lot of people who want to rush the 2014 MCAT such as myself. Many of these people will not be very well prepared, and because of that, I expect the average to be much lower than usual because of all of the unprepared rushers.
4. It would get me into med school faster.

Anyways, my problem is that I don't know what to do about when to take the MCAT, plan 1 or plan 2, or something different. Please give me your advice. I really appreciaite it.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd vote Option 2. You could always add an MCAT class that fall if self- study didn't seem to be working, and I wouldn't want to attempt it without having ochem 2.

Moose A Moose

7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Option 2.

If you go for your first option, you're going to be right there in "Number 3" with all of those unprepared rushers. I've seen it happen many times: people that think they have the mystic ability to crunch in a MCAT studies over an ill fitted time period and do well. Nine out of ten times they just end up tanking. Just form a legit study schedule of your own, prepare diligently and get mentally focused for the new MCAT, because if you go with your first option my bet is you'll need to take if twice anyway.

Jul 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
An entire summer with no other academic obligations is a perfect time to prepare for the mcat effectively. Also, your BS score will likely suffer very little or at all if you take the mcat before ochem 2(considering you prepare well). The ochem topics on the mcat are pretty general and in the minority of BS topics. My advice would be to push back ochem 2 and do the mcat during the summer for two reasons. First, you will have all the time you need to adequately prepare for the mcat as well as any ochem you might run into. Secondly, it may be to your favor to take the test while all of the previous test taker's advice is still valid. I can honestly say the advice I received from people on SDN regarding the test played a significant role in helping me defeat the test. There is a chance the 2015 test will offer an advantage but either way you will still be a guinea pig of the new mcat and be in the dark as to knowing how to adequately prepare.