Medical I did a mock interview with my real interviewer from SMP 2 weeks ago by complete coincidence . How rare is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in an SMP and its Med school is my first choice. I had done a mock interview with two weeks ago with a prof who was super helpful and open to helping me with my application when I applied last cycle. He was super friendly to all our class and I liked him a lot. He was also the type to actually like helping pre-Med (I’m sure some of you can relate). We both started cracking up when we logged into zoom because it was by complete coincidence. It was super conversational and we didn’t talk about the same things so it wasn’t like I knew questions ahead of time either. But I did I feel the interview went really really well.

He said that’s never happened to him. Is this something that happens every now and then with SMPs or was this just wild odds. Anybody hear about this happening?

I know one of my classmates heard from the program director that they are having trouble finding enough interviewers due to the pandemic? Maybe that was the reason for it.

Maybe this doesn’t belong in forum, I’m just more curious if this comes up every now and then with SMPs. Not necessarily a mock interviewer with them but is it common for SMP candidates to know their interviewer?
Not super surprising and honestly you lucked out having someone who has already made contact with you. So be happy!

My interviewer for residency also happened to be one of my letter writers lol.

Members don't see this ad.

It's happened at my school when were new at the SMP game. We have since instituted a policy of not allowing interviewers to have given a mock interview tot he same person.

The interviewers should have recused him/herself....but it's in a pandemic, so I'd cut hem some slack.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you had a mock interview. At least you know what works best for this interviewer. It's not a conflict of interest unless you've worked for that faculty member or he/she knows you more deeply than that. Let that issue fall on the chair of the committee, but I doubt that anyone gets in trouble for mock interviews. (Otherwise I would never be able to do interviews since I volunteer a lot and have given workshops (or been on panels) on the topic.)

I have done a lot of mock interviews over the years and a lot of people tell me I interview excellent. I also overheard another school talking very positive things about me when I turned off camera. I also felt like I did a great job getting him involved and interested in our convo. But you maybe right. Only time will tell I guess
Nothing you can do at this point. Relax and don’t try to overthink. Everything will work its way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.