I did drugs once, and things got WAY too real

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all,

So I booked my ticket for Ireland....and suddenly moving across the pond has become more of a reality! I'm flying out on the 1st, just wondering if anyone else has booked tickets, started planning the move, sold off all their worldy possessions, etc.

Cheers,
Jocks

Members don't see this ad.

Jocks said:
Howdy Y'all,

So I booked my ticket for Ireland....and suddenly moving across the pond has become more of a reality! I'm flying out on the 1st, just wondering if anyone else has booked tickets, started planning the move, sold off all their worldy possessions, etc.

Cheers,
Jocks

question - how to quickly sell off all world possessions? this USD/Euro conversion rate is scaring me so I better start now!

I'm monitoring the prices for plane tickets and should be buying in a couple of weeks. My brother is flying out of town in early September too so I'm holding off booking so that we can book together and maybe find a deal.

I'm not selling anything off, but I've started to compile lists of what I'm packing.

I've put a deposit down for residence at Glenomena—no word back yet which is worrying me slightly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah yes, selling everything. This time last year, we managed to sell our farm, tractors, vehicles, children (just kidding) and 90% of everything else we owned in one short month. Amazing how people come out of the woddwork to buy when they know you're truly cutting ties and moving away. Most of our stuff went in "pre-viewing" sales to friends before the big farm sale. Don't hesitate or worry about the best deals or the best exchange rate. It feels so good to get rid of the albatross of so many possessions. One more little piece of advice-- we made good money by ripping all our CDs onto my laptop and then selling the CDs for $5 at the sale. Made about $400 just on CDs.

Unch said:
One more little piece of advice-- we made good money by ripping all our CDs onto my laptop and then selling the CDs for $5 at the sale. Made about $400 just on CDs.
So what you're trying to say is crime pays? You can also make alot through larceny and counterfeiting.

Billy Shears said:
I sincerely hope that is sarcasm.

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't joking around when I said I want to start selling all my stuff now. I only have what would be considered minor stuff to my name - no car,house,etc. because I am younger - but I am working towards my tuition to help out paying for tuition in UCD or RCSI.

ThatKidMike said:
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't joking around when I said I want to start selling all my stuff now. I only have what would be considered minor stuff to my name - no car,house,etc. because I am younger - but I am working towards my tuition to help out paying for tuition in UCD or RCSI.

That wasn't directed towards you, lol.

Are you living in school residence? I don't think they are available so early.

Hey student.ie --
Do you take EVERYTHING so seriously? There seems to be nary a topic posted in these forums that you don't start foaming at the mouth over. We're all so sorry that your life is so wretched that you find fault, ticking time bombs or just plain darkness in everything. Just for your info, those were my CDs that I purchased legally and then made copies of for myself on my own laptop that I paid for with my very own money. And then I sold my CDs to friends for cash just like I might sell any other used purchases.

And for those so worried about procedures and patient contact in clinical years, just ask and you'll be allowed to do much more. Less is assumed since many opt for the easiest way through, skipping hospital time etc. It's equally possible to hang around for extra contact, get to know interns/consultants, ask for access and get to do quite a few basic procedures.

Hey student.ie --
Do you take EVERYTHING so seriously? There seems to be nary a topic posted in these forums that you don't start foaming at the mouth over. We're all so sorry that your life is so wretched that you find fault, ticking time bombs or just plain darkness in everything. Just for your info, those were my CDs that I purchased legally and then made copies of for myself on my own laptop that I paid for with my very own money. And then I sold my CDs to friends for cash just like I might sell any other used purchases.

And for those so worried about procedures and patient contact in clinical years, just ask and you'll be allowed to do much more. Less is assumed since many opt for the easiest way through, skipping hospital time etc. It's equally possible to hang around for extra contact, get to know interns/consultants, ask for access and get to do quite a few basic procedures.

Unch said:
Just for your info, those were my CDs that I purchased legally and then made copies of for myself on my own laptop that I paid for with my very own money.
Purchasing CDs and selling them uncopied is ok. It's the copying them before selling them that's a crime. If you copy 80 CD's and sell them it's ok? Is it ok to copy one CD 80 times and sell them on ebay or from a suitcase on the sidewalk instead of at your garage-sale? Don't get mad at me, you are the one recommending criminal activity to others on SDN.

I heard that you could copy all your notes onto a palm pilot and use them during your exams to get high marks. Results over ethics, right? Maybe you should go to law school.

Billy Shears said:
I was just kidding about all that. I'm only $50000 in debt. I made a fortune offering all my CDs on ebay. I have my own store- Student.ie's CD Palace. I copied all the CDs that I purchased legally onto the laptop that I paid for with my very own money. Whenever anyone bought my CD from ebay or my ebay store, I just copied it from my hard drive and mailed them a CD. I don't make much on each CD, but it adds up over time. It's a totally wonderful way to make money. Everyone should do it.

The Malasians in my class had a sweet gig too. They could buy all their textbooks in Malasia for like 5% of what all the suckers paid. They looked just like the ones put out by the publisher too!

(legal disclaimer- the above is a mocking lie not something I do or recommend, seems obvious but I'll add it anyway)

Don't get me wrong, I've done the wrong thing too. Sometimes worse than what you did, but I don't go recommending those things on SDN.

Not to be picky, but what Unch suggested is not actually illegal. Copying CDs (which he bought) onto his computer for his private use is not illegal. Nor is selling the (used) original CDs.

It's flat-out not illegal.

Actually, it is.

Title 17 § 106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works

Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;
(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;
(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

Plenty of case law on this. MGM Studios, Inc. v Grokster, Ltd. 259 F Supp 2d 1029, 66 USPQ2d 1579 (2003) or the Napster case.

Regardless, the holier-than-thou attitude is a bit toolish.

Billy Shears said:
Regardless, the holier-than-thou attitude is a bit toolish.
Yeah, I noticed that it sounded that way. That's why I added the post about how I've done plenty wrong. It is illegal though and doesn't belong on here.

student.ie said:
Yeah, I noticed that it sounded that way. That's why I added the post about how I've done plenty wrong. It is illegal though and doesn't belong on here.
:horns: Dude, you crack me up. I know you mean most of what you write, but sometimes you're just goading people on. Right?
I think I know you in real life and it makes it even funnier when I picture you at home writing what you do. I bet you're cracking yourself up. :laugh: