I did horrible :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemomo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I transfered from a CC and was def not prepared for a university... My cc GPA was 3.8 cum, 4.0 science and math... When I transfered this semester as a junior I did horrible in all of my classes :( SO bad that my gpa is way below 3.0 because they start the gpa over... I took 12 credit hours and got a C in orgo and B in physics.... I don't know what to do now.. I had a very hard time adjusting and all of my studying habits had to be changed... I am just lost now..... Any advice... I can't even tell my parents how bad I did..

Members don't see this ad.

So I transfered from a CC and was def not prepared for a university... My cc GPA was 3.8 cum, 4.0 science and math... When I transfered this semester as a junior I did horrible in all of my classes :( SO bad that my gpa is way below 3.0 because they start the gpa over... I took 12 credit hours and got a C in orgo and B in physics.... I don't know what to do now.. I had a very hard time adjusting and all of my studying habits had to be changed... I am just lost now..... Any advice... I can't even tell my parents how bad I did..

you'll be fine. tell your parents, let them be concerned and do their thing. your job is to figure out how to adjust and how to adjust well. spring semester is around the corner. do significantly better next semester, blow away senior year, and you'll be back on track.

Nemomo, Do not despair. As long as you can figure out why you did poorly and what strategies you need to improve for next semester (may want to try meeting with an academic advisor), you can definitely turn this around and use it as a learning experience (I had a similar experience going from undergrad to grad school). Doctors are not perfect -they are all human! The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you need to show that you can adjust to the situation, problem-solve how to fix it and implement that fix. You did well before and you will do well again. Hang in there and keep the faith! DrDr (MDphD)

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that your AMCAS GPA will not just be from your new university...it covers all college courses you have ever taken. So, chances are, your science and cumulative GPA are well above a 3.0.

As far as adjusting to university...maybe try devoting separate semesters to organic and physics. A lot of people do that where I go, as the "gunner" types usually tend to take these classes making it pretty tough to get an A.

So, maybe take things a little slower next semester so you can finish adjusting to university, and make sure that you learn the -concepts- (not just for the grade) as they will help you with your MCAT (which is another large component of what med schools assess).

I've talked to people who have graduated from top med schools and even they have gotten a C or two. It won't kill you, for sure. Just make sure you figure out why things went poorly for you and fix them. Good luck.

Keep in mind that your AMCAS GPA will not just be from your new university...it covers all college courses you have ever taken. So, chances are, your science and cumulative GPA are well above a 3.0.

As far as adjusting to university...maybe try devoting separate semesters to organic and physics. A lot of people do that where I go, as the "gunner" types usually tend to take these classes making it pretty tough to get an A.

So, maybe take things a little slower next semester so you can finish adjusting to university, and make sure that you learn the -concepts- (not just for the grade) as they will help you with your MCAT (which is another large component of what med schools assess).

I've talked to people who have graduated from top med schools and even they have gotten a C or two. It won't kill you, for sure. Just make sure you figure out why things went poorly for you and fix them. Good luck.

Gunner types dont have to take the other pre-reqs?

Face it, the competition is rough. You are never going to get away from gunners, so take a courseload in which you can be successful in.

hmm, what to do now? There isn't anything to do except to move forward.

You should tell your parents what grades you earned. Sure, it's not the grades that you hoped for and your parents may be unhappy with it, but you will be much more relieved when you do tell them. Your parents are bound to ask about your grades sooner or later, so you might as well tell them now. What's the worse that can happen? Your parents would yell and nag. I doubt they would force you to stop going to college. It's very unlikely that would happen. There will be much less stress and guilt, or else you will live a life of dodging your parents' questions about your grades and the feeling of guilt inside of you.

As for your grades, you can only try to boost it. All you have to do now is crank out more A's to lessen the damage from that C and B. You have to figure out what you did wrong in those classes and change your study habbits somehow. It's hard, but you got to do what you got to do. Good luck doing better in school.

Your college also might have a small course for transfer students, or study skills courses. These might be worth the time for you.

Thanks for advice... I think I am gonna take classes that require pure memorization cuz I am very good at it............. That would hopefully bring up my GPA.. I hope I get to keep my scholarship..

Even though all-time courses are taken into account, last 3 years are the most important ones. Do better there. show that you are making difference.