I did not get into to dental school and I dont know why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YOU ARE 20!! That is why you didn't get in. Most schools, the good ones anyway, want their matriculants to be mature. You may be at the ripe age of under 21, but most likely they want you to gain some experience. The mind is fickle in our early 20's, you don't know who you are and Dental schools do not want to chance having change your mind in a year. Chances are if those are truly your admissions statistics you will get in easily next year when you are of age.

Members don't see this ad.

all right, stop turning this into a race-related thread. this could be helpful for people. don't be selfish, go hi-jack one of the other 50 threads about race.

just got off the phone with temple, and the convo makes me think applying in august was the definite problem. she actually said that the class is full and that they sent me a letter explaining as much (i called someone out about this, but apparently it's true. my bad. ...and damn! another school down!). the woman told me that i had great stats and everything, which is why i've been in circulation and haven't been rejected flat out, but that i applied late, putting me "in box 22" and there were "21 boxes of applicants before me who received priority."

Wow...now I see, I applied to 6 schools, heard from all 5 of them accept 1 and that was temple...now i know why, I submitted my application in July but didnt take my DAT till late August and had everything in by Sept 15 to the school and haven't heard nothing from temple since then. Make sense now, gueese they fill their class up pretty early. For all of you guys that didnt get in with great stats (considering you were social enough to have a decent interview), don't feel so bad, admisison is crapshoot thing- seriously...I learn that recently and the best you can do now is have some hope and reapply EARLY next year and maybe add a few more schools to your application. I know exactly how you guys feel about working your butt off and getting rejected (by my state school in my case) while somebody who had subpar stats get in that might not be qualified as you are but hey thats how the world works, keep your heads up and you will reach your goal one way or another. As long as you have heart and passion for this dream, don't ever give up!:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
YOU ARE 20!! That is why you didn't get in. Most schools, the good ones anyway, want their matriculants to be mature. You may be at the ripe age of under 21, but most likely they want you to gain some experience. The mind is fickle in our early 20's, you don't know who you are and Dental schools do not want to chance having change your mind in a year. Chances are if those are truly your admissions statistics you will get in easily next year when you are of age.

I don't think age completely dictates how mature a person is. I am 19 and looking to apply for the upcoming cyle (I would have just turned 20 when I apply). I hope my age will not hold back me back a year from what I want to do....otherwise this would really frustrate me. I don't want someone else to tell me that I don't have the drive or determination or maturity. I've made the same mature decision to work hard in my classes to have better chances of getting into dental school...I don't know what the difference of a 20 or 21 year old would be?

Hi,

I am really sorry about what happened, but first and foremost, don't worry about UF Dental, they are known for being snoby, pompous, discriminating, and favoring one student over the other. My advice to you is this: see, if you can still apply to the schools this year, there are some schools with late deadlines. Second advice, call up the schools that rejected you (exclude UF); perhaps write a letter to each and ask politely about improving your application. I would even consider visiting the schools. Maybe it's just the extracurriculars, work on them, show compassion for helping people and equally important, show committment to dentistry. Good Luck. Don't give up!:luck:

My age could have been a factor. However, to stereotype all 20 year olds as fickle is the most naive and ignorant statment you could have said. I think one facet of maturity is thinking before speaking, or typing in this case (which is easier). My sister was the same age as me when she applied to alabama, the school that rejected me.

for the 19 year old.
age is relative. Any intelligent interviewer will know that. And if age will be the factor for us, **** them (sorry religious people). we will just apply the next year. were young!:laugh:

I don't think age completely dictates how mature a person is. I am 19 and looking to apply for the upcoming cyle (I would have just turned 20 when I apply). I hope my age will not hold back me back a year from what I want to do....otherwise this would really frustrate me. ...I don't know what the difference of a 20 or 21 year old would be?

I don't think there's a difference. I entered my incoming class when I was 19. Just show that you're a well-rounded applicant and you'll be good to go.

Ok, so the age comment, I am not being ignorant or naive, you are being naive for not understanding this point. The average age of matriculants at most schools is 24 to 25. It is that way for a reason. The fact that some Dental schools still allow people to enter without a degree is absurd. You need to finish your degree, and you need the course work that comes along with academic progression in order to get the most out of your dental education. If you have not had anatomy, Micro, Immunology, Histology, some (not all) will struggle. If you want to specialize, you need to be in the top 10-25% of your class. This is only accomplished by having a solid academic background to fall back on (undstanding the basics). A credit load of 20-24 credits in years 1 and 2 is like drinking from a fire hose. Most (not all) 19-21 year olds can not handle a work load like that. Also, with the vast majority of students being 21+ you will be at a social disadvantage. Professional school is far different from undergraduate study. The good schools understand this fact and prefer students with a broad range of experience. A 19 or 20 year old will not have the same experience as others who have had more time to understand the profession and understand academic success at a graduate level. Again, some "kids" are able to accomplish great things at a younger age. I am simply saying that most, do not have the maturity, both intelectually and socially to handle a professional education.

I graduated from undergradute school with a double major in three years, with honors. Each semester, I overloaded and was taking at least 20 units. I also did my fair share of partying and social activities. Scored 28+ on my DATs with my AA at 28.

I had 400+ hours of community service hours in a nursing home, two dental offices, and a dental lab.

And you didn't read my post too carefully either, did you? See the part where I said "well-rounded applicant"?...yea.

Ok, so the age comment, I am not being ignorant or naive, you are being naive for not understanding this point. The average age of matriculants at most schools is 24 to 25. It is that way for a reason. The fact that some Dental schools still allow people to enter without a degree is absurd. You need to finish your degree, and you need the course work that comes along with academic progression in order to get the most out of your dental education. If you have not had anatomy, Micro, Immunology, Histology, some (not all) will struggle. If you want to specialize, you need to be in the top 10-25% of your class. This is only accomplished by having a solid academic background to fall back on (undstanding the basics). A credit load of 20-24 credits in years 1 and 2 is like drinking from a fire hose. Most (not all) 19-21 year olds can not handle a work load like that. Also, with the vast majority of students being 21+ you will be at a social disadvantage. Professional school is far different from undergraduate study. The good schools understand this fact and prefer students with a broad range of experience. A 19 or 20 year old will not have the same experience as others who have had more time to understand the profession and understand academic success at a graduate level. Again, some "kids" are able to accomplish great things at a younger age. I am simply saying that most, do not have the maturity, both intelectually and socially to handle a professional education.

I agree that many kids in North America are as you describe them, but I think that's because of the system. Many more kids go to college than should because it's just something to do. Many of them drop out, or graduate to never use the degree they got.

I disagree in that a lot of what predents study in undergrad is regurgitated in the first year and even some of the second year od Dschool. That is a waste of time, IMHO. In Europe things work differently - you get in after highschool, and I think that's perfectly reasonable. You either have what it takes or you don't. And I don't think that mental capacity improves as you get older.

All that being said, I also think it's cool that people in their 30s or 40s decide they want to be dentists and go back. That is not acceptable outside of North America.

I think this should be judged on an individual basis - a 19 yo could be much more ready to take on Dschool in all its glory than a 25 yo. It's not always about age.

Members don't see this ad :)
22 academic average 25 percept ability. 3.6 gpa. over a year of research. four dentist in my family. dental school clinic experience. graduated college at the age of 20. Completely clean criminal record. White male. Alabama resident. I was rejected from university of florida, my alma mater and rejected from alabama, the school where my sister is a junior. It makes no sense. Anybody else get completely ****ed in the ass? :confused:

I did, I was rejected from Nova[not even an interview], the school is 20 min from my house! I attend their open house and talked with thier reps but nothing.

However......
Last week I got accepted to Columbia.:D

Zippy, settle a bit. I am not attacking you, or anyone else for that matter. It sounds like you accomplished a lot in three years, congrats. However, think about your freshman year, when everyone and their mothers were pre-something. Those that actually stuck it out and will eventually make it whether it be at 20 or 24 have the drive to become a Dentist or Doctor. Others, like the other post said, either change their mind because they find that they do not want to have three years of 20+ credits a semester, or they don't want to go to school for 8+ years, and have continuing ed throughout their life. That is exactly what I am trying to say, by making the point that most (not all) 19 to 21 maybe even some 22 year olds, may not know where or what they want to be or do in life. Some can hack it, others can't. Its hard to understand if you have not experienced graduate school or if you are younger, but you will. I'm not trying to sound like parent, just speaking from experience.

As far as the comment about too many people going to college, only 25% of americans have a college degree. That is a huge problem and why we struggle as a nation with many things. Education, whether it be general business, communications, or an advanced science degree is the key to larger success in life and understanding of the world. There should be more opportunity and more emphasis across the country with regard to higher education.

more people should be educated, you're right, but more people should have the real desire to be educated and be as much as they can in their community. That is where we need to build. I've known so many kids that went to college just because their friends do or because they want to go to frat parties or be away from mom and dad or parents said they had to.

I guess I just think that society would be much better served if school were very cheap if not free at the post-secondary level. That way things would be based on merit and drive not who can dish out $50K a year to go to GW for 4 years of undergrad, for example.

There needs to be better preparation and more opportunity at the High school level. So many kids do not have adequate resources at that level and are put at a great disadvantage. The University system could be further subsidized to help with the costs, but there are many schools that offer cheap post secondary education.

Don't get me wrong...but first impression from your first post made me think you were cocky... I totally respect your ranting and raving right now, but I need to rant my thoughts to you now, after reading your posting.

What do you consider a typical predent student? First off, you are related to dentists...that's typical of most applicants. :p

Then you said that you were a musician and "thought that these qualities would set me apart from the stereotypical predent premed student." I think you're mistaken here. Most of all my predent/premed friends are actually talented and skilled with musical instruments, and still have their own bands while studying in med/dental school, and you said all your friends were "artists and engineers...." But I know about 10 engineers who are predents with me. I'm an engineer too...well, at least that's what people labeled me because of the school I attended and major I studied. So, I don't know how you portrayed yourself at your interviews/essays/application, etc...but you may need to reevaluate how you express yourself in this regard and your thoughts about these "qualities". :thumbup: You definitely offended me and I'm sure some other people. Why do you apply to dental school, if you like to consider yourself "separate" and "different" from all the other predents/premeds? :cool:

There was no way in earth i was cocky. I am an extremely modest person and i wanted to portray that. I smiled the whole time and talked to them as if they were friends of mine. Im known to be a very social person and i felt extremely comfortable talking to the admissions committees. And as far as talking about how much i studied or how great research was, i didnt talk about either of those at all. UF interviewed i talked mostly about my residency and she asks how i would give back to the community and i said i would love to go on mission trips. I am also in a band that was on a record label. I did that all through college. I toured to new york city and a bunch of other cities up the coast. We did our own management and i talked about that in both the ala and flor interviews. i thought that would portray my good business and personal skills that are extremely important in the field of dentistry. Ive played sports my whole life and made sure that was known to reflect my healthy lifestyles.
When i applied i was told that schools like students that are different and will contribute unique qualities to the class. I embraced that. I am a ceramicist and musician and thought that these qualities would set me apart from the stereotypical predent premed student. honestly all my friends in college were artists and engineers. i never hung out with predents or premed students.

I turned my application in in august. got and interview at flori in september and and interview at alabama in october.

Ive applied late to a bunch of other schools like tufts boston detroit mercy lousiville and nyu. im waiting on them. im not completely done. i also applied to harvard and maryland but didnt follow through. doesn matter. Im currently doing dental stem cell research and if i get interviewed in the next month for these schools im going to talk about this which i think is a bonus. schools supposedly like students who are very interested in research so they can teach. nobody wants to teach. im ranting cause im in a hurry. i thank you guys for taking the time to absorb my tears and troubles.

The application process is a role of the dice. Why do some get rejected from meharry and accepted at Harvard (using to illustrate a point). It doesn't make sense, its political, and can be very frusturating for some and a walk in the park for others. We are all over achievers with excellent skills and broad backgrounds in research and extracurriculars. You need to find the school in which you fit their mold. If you get rejected take advantage of exit interviews and DO EVERYTHING they say.

Also, I sit on a board that reviews Personal statements and essays....Guys no more BS about "life path, life choice, inner passions, ect.... Everyone knows that we want to go to Dental school and be great doctors and love to help people, and yes they know that the money is a factor as well. We can read the BS like white on rice. Be clear, confident, but no sappy stories about how you figured out at two years old that you wanted to pull teeth.

UF is just a weird school. They turned down ALL the 15+ ppl I talked to who got accepted was this girl who went to UF for undergrad and knew the entire admissions committee already. It is a competitive school b/c all the fl residents want to go there since it's cheap. so it's basically everyone's #1 choice. I wish i applied earlier too, could have upped my chances maybe a little.

oops sorry that made no sense. here's what i meant to say:

UF is just a weird school. They turned down ALL the 15+ ppl I talked to who were very intelligent and had a great personality. The one girl i talked to who DID get accepted went to UF for undergrad and knew the entire admissions committee already. It is a competitive school b/c all the fl residents want to go there since it's cheap. so it's basically everyone's #1 choice. I wish i applied earlier too, could have upped my chances maybe a little.

I really don't think age has nothing to do with it.

people...he got the interviews at those 2 schools before Dec 1 so it's NOT because he applied "late"...those schools are just wack. Or maybe you're so impressive that they're afraid to take you on and itimidate the other so-so students...hehehe

people...he got the interviews at those 2 schools before Dec 1 so it's NOT because he applied "late"...those schools are just wack. Or maybe you're so impressive that they're afraid to take you on and itimidate the other so-so students...hehehe

there we go, someone finally said it. :laugh:

Dental schools assess your ability to succeed in their program, coupled with whether or not they want you to be in their program. Apparently, you didn't meet the criteria for at least 1 of the 2. I know people who were great applicants and didn't get accepted until their 3rd try. If dentistry is for you, then spend the year being a dental assistant making ~ $15/hr, save up, and apply again to 10+ schools. I know you're probably pissed off, dude, but think of it this way: everything happens for a reason.

The application process is a role of the dice. Why do some get rejected from meharry and accepted at Harvard (using to illustrate a point). It doesn't make sense, its political, and can be very frusturating for some and a walk in the park for others. We are all over achievers with excellent skills and broad backgrounds in research and extracurriculars. You need to find the school in which you fit their mold. If you get rejected take advantage of exit interviews and DO EVERYTHING they say.

Also, I sit on a board that reviews Personal statements and essays....Guys no more BS about "life path, life choice, inner passions, ect.... Everyone knows that we want to go to Dental school and be great doctors and love to help people, and yes they know that the money is a factor as well. We can read the BS like white on rice. Be clear, confident, but no sappy stories about how you figured out at two years old that you wanted to pull teeth.

Amen!

From an ADCOM members perspective, I can honestly say that we have accepted 18 year olds into dental school and we have also accepted 60 year olds. What you have to remember is that in order to accomplish things at an earlier age, there had to be certain sacrifices made to speed up the process. Often, these sacrifices are very notable upon interviewing a candidate. Maturity, independence, ability to relate to patients, etc are all things that increase as one ages (usually). This is NOT to say that you do not exemplify these characteristics, I am just saying that this is why if we were to look at 20 applicants who are under 21 yrs old versus 20 applicants that are in their mid 20's all with the same stats, chances are very good that a much bigger proportion of the mid 20 yr olds would be accepted. This is based primarily on the interview where one can note interpersonal skills, scale maturity, and determine whether this individual will be able to deal well with patients who may be weary of someone "too young to be working on them." Unfortunately, it's sad, but true..... MANY older patients (who make up a large portion of the patient population at dental schools) just don't feel comfortable with a 20 year old taking care of them. Again, I am not saying that this IS the reason you did not get in, I am simply reiterating the fact that age (while taking maturity into account) can be a big factor. I wish you luck!

This is based primarily on the interview where one can note interpersonal skills, scale maturity, and determine whether this individual will be able to deal well with patients who may be weary of someone "too young to be working on them."

I understand your points, and I agree; however, I'm 23 nd I could easily pass for an 18 year old. I don't think that's going to keep me out of dental school because I know how to carry myself, and am very comfortable with people in all sorts of situations. The attitude you exude is more important than the age ppl think you are, IMHO. I mean you could also say that a 60 yo dental student would be acceptable to patients becaue they are older, but I'm not so sure they'd be moreso than an average 24-25 yo dental student.

In the end, if you're comfortable treating people, I think they'll be comfortable being treated by you, whatever your age is.

Anyway, thanks for your insight, it's always nice to get ADCOM points of view. :)

Also, I sit on a board that reviews Personal statements and essays....Guys no more BS about "life path, life choice, inner passions, ect.... Everyone knows that we want to go to Dental school and be great doctors and love to help people, and yes they know that the money is a factor as well. We can read the BS like white on rice.

that's exactly what my PS was about. aw, i'm such an IDIOT!

on a more constructive note, i talked with the director of admissions at UPenn today. she said my 50 hours shadowing and research experience weren't that impressive. neither were my DAT scores and GPA, everyone has good scores and marks. and that i could have used some community service. also, she said i should have elaborated a bit more on my secondary responses because they couldn't get a feel for "who i was as an applicant." so more or less she said i don't stand out. i was a little surprised by this news, but i guess it's understandable considering it's coming from one of the more selective schools.

hopefully people are finding this info useful, though it's probably nothing you haven't heard before. man, i wish i knew about SDN before i started to apply. my pre-health advisor didn't give me a tenth of the info i get from this site.

t man, thanks for sharing your experience. don't take it to heart. you know you're a great applicant and sometimes when you're well-rounded and involved in a lot of activities you don't have time to do them all for very long... I hope everything works out for you. and you know it all happens as it should.

best of luck. :)

Look at all the programs with combined B.S./D.D.S. programs, programs recruiting kids out of high school and tell me again that age is a factor in the admissions process. Hell, UoP even has a 5 year combined program for high schoolers.

Maturity, not age, is what schools want. While the maturity level is definitely going to decrease with years, you can certainly find high schoolers more mature then many adults.

The OP? Guy applied to 2 schools. /thread

Exactly. The kid only applied to 2 schools. That is his own fault. And he has other interviews coming on the way. Maybe you think your a**hole doesn't stink and came off like u were Mr. Big Shot. You sound like a very qualified applicant, but there is something missing to this story here or you probably lied on your application and they caught you. For UF, it is all about the interview. I don't understand why people think it is a hard interview. This is professional school people, not kindergarden. You stand up there like a man or woman and have an intelligent, coherent discussion and potray to them why you feel you are qualified applicant for dental school. I had a couple of interviews where we just talked about my hobbies and crap. I did not fly 3000 miles to talk about how I love to play soccer. Cmon, that is just a joke. People like him need to stop being babies and just grow up.

I hope that limb that you just went out on does not break. How do you know how he was acting?

To the OP, how were you acting at your interviews?

t man

don't you think u would be considered more at dental schools if your DAT was something like 24?

is that a serious question?

all right... yes? not that it matters, i'm not taking the DATs again.

EDIT: armorshell got a 25? that's crazy.

It is against the law for a school to accept or reject you based on age, race, and gender. I have noticed that many people with awesome DATs, GPAs, and letters, who did not get accepted, often have horrible grammer. Just in this listing people are using "are" when they mean "our". How did you do on your personal statement? To a good reader the most small error glares at you on the page leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I have seen a highly qualified person make a spelling error on their personal statement and not get in to any school. I am not saying this is why they didn't get in, I just find it to be an interesting relation. Take your personal statement to the writing center at your school and have them look over it.

I have noticed that many people with awesome DATs, GPAs, and letters, who did not get accepted, often have horrible grammer.

Look out, here comes the hypocritical grammar police!

It is against the law for a school to accept or reject you based on age, race, and gender. I have noticed that many people with awesome DATs, GPAs, and letters, who did not get accepted, often have horrible grammer. Just in this listing people are using "are" when they mean "our". How did you do on your personal statement? To a good reader the most small error glares at you on the page leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I have seen a highly qualified person make a spelling error on their personal statement and not get in to any school. I am not saying this is why they didn't get in, I just find it to be an interesting relation. Take your personal statement to the writing center at your school and have them look over it.

Grammar is with an "a." Look out before you go correcting people! ;)

22 academic average 25 percept ability. 3.6 gpa. over a year of research. four dentist in my family. dental school clinic experience. graduated college at the age of 20. Completely clean criminal record. White male. Alabama resident. I was rejected from university of florida, my alma mater and rejected from alabama, the school where my sister is a junior. It makes no sense. Anybody else get completely ****ed in the ass? :confused:

25 PA and 22AA ...:smuggrin: yeah right. I know people on this forum like to exaggerate their scores...yet another liar..how will you be accepted??

what does CV stand for? :confused:

Curriculum vitæ, basically a resume.

25 PA and 22AA ...:smuggrin: yeah right. I know people on this forum like to exaggerate their scores...yet another liar..how will you be accepted??

Trust me on this one. People exaggerate their scores on SDN and in real life. I've been on this site for 2 yrs (posting as donx before blitzdt) and I've heard plenty of....."I got 3.7 and 23s, and I didn't get into a single school", then it got ugly..." he got in because he got connections.... because my scores are better than his"...then "he got in because he's a minority"...then everyone was pissed off. If you have stats like that...NYU would probably accept you without an interview (btw, I think NYU is a really good school). I personally think if you're going to exaggerate, exaggerate your scores and grades down, so your competitors won't work so hard to raise their own scores. So if you get 21s, tell the rest of the predents you got 17s:laugh::laugh:. If you study 11hrs for your test, tell your competitors you just kick back and relax because Que Sera, Sera. I think you're digging yourself a hole if you exaggerating your scores up! lol..Lies Lies Lies! tsk tsk tk.:D:p

Good luck to all of you:luck:

I don't think age completely dictates how mature a person is. I am 19 and looking to apply for the upcoming cyle (I would have just turned 20 when I apply). I hope my age will not hold back me back a year from what I want to do....otherwise this would really frustrate me. I don't want someone else to tell me that I don't have the drive or determination or maturity. I've made the same mature decision to work hard in my classes to have better chances of getting into dental school...I don't know what the difference of a 20 or 21 year old would be?

Blueyes, I think you are absolutely right. There are plenty of people who got in and they are just 19 and 20. If you have the grades and the DAT scores, go for it!!!! Two of my classmates applied a year earlier and they got in when they were 19. Looking back, I should've applied a year early, but i'm not too sad about it because i'm happy where I am now. If you have a good personality and you are a good and mature talker, you should be good to go! Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

So DAT'killa' how'd YOU do?

:cool:

let's say I had 7 intervies, only went to two of them and got accepted at both. I had to try painfully to choose one...with only one score in the 20's...

Hey Blitzdt . . . It's hard for me to fathom why people feel the need to lie when everything's anonymous! I'm sure you're right though about exaggerations running rampant. But I'm just curious, how have you known when people were lying?

Hey Blitzdt . . . I'm more the trusting type and it's hard for me to fathom why people feel the need to lie when everything's anonymous! I'm sure you're right though about exaggerations running rampant (ie - based on some of the posts you read, it really makes you wonder about some people!) But I'm just curious, how have you known when people were lying?

I personally know a couple people on here, and I know when they lie. But for them, they lie to maintain their anonymity. The last thing they want is for schools to figure out who they are. Admissions has confirmed numerous times that they frequent these pages. (looking at paperwork gets old after a while.)

For those admissions people reading this, I'll save you the trouble. My AADSAS number is 24589606.

am i being paraniod thinking that a lot of these claims about lying are directed at me? i think i deserve a little more credit than that... for what it's worth, i haven't lied once about my app. and if i am indeed being targetted, then you might want to consider stopping. it's really inconsiderate to accuse me of lying when i already have to deal with not having any acceptances (i'm probably not the only who feels that way). but if playing sherlock makes you feel better... whatever, have fun.:thumbdown:

and do adcoms really have the time to try and figure out who people are on this site?