Sep 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting (I hope I’m posting this in the right place). But I retook my DAT today and did absolutely awful. I did even worse the second time (my nightmare came true). First time I made a 15, and this time I made a 14. Pathetic, I know. When my score came up, I went into my car and started crying, I am extremely disappointed in myself.

I’m not a dumb person, I graduated with a bio degree in june and have a 3.4 GPA, my science GPA is probably around 3.7. I work REALLY hard in my science classes. But I’m one of those people who take a test and all the information goes out in one ear.

The first time I took the DAT during christmas break and half assed it. I maybe “studied” for 3 weeks, so their was an excuse of my score. But this time, I spent 2.5 months. I thought at least I was going to make a 18. But after discovering these forums, I can see clearly where I made my mistakes.

I think my problem is that I have everything down conceptually, but barley did ANY practice problems. I did not use the DAT Destroyer and I just made the purchased today. Does anyone have advice for how to study for reading and math? Those two sections really brought my average down.

I know this doesn’t look good, I’m trying really hard. I don’t want to give up my dream on being a dentist because of this test. This is all I ever wanted in my life. I wish I discovered these forums sooner. I attend a really small commuters college, so these dental resources isn’t available for me. But thats not an excuse, I should’ve done my research. I take full responsibility. I just want to know how bad does this look? Is their any way I can overcome this?

btw I'm not planning to apply this cycle.

Reactions: zammyd

DC206R

5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2013
Status
Dental Student
I think it's not how long you study, but how efficient. With the right materials, you'll do much better the next time. Look at other breakdowns and see what works for people. Good luck!

Reactions: stag123

NavyDDS1990

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting (I hope I’m posting this in the right place). But I retook my DAT today and did absolutely awful. I did even worse the second time (my nightmare came true). First time I made a 15, and this time I made a 14. Pathetic, I know. When my score came up, I went into my car and started crying, I am extremely disappointed in myself.

I’m not a dumb person, I graduated with a bio degree in june and have a 3.4 GPA, my science GPA is probably around 3.7. I work REALLY hard in my science classes. But I’m one of those people who take a test and all the information goes out in one ear.

The first time I took the DAT during christmas break and half assed it. I maybe “studied” for 3 weeks, so their was an excuse of my score. But this time, I spent 2.5 months. I thought at least I was going to make a 18. But after discovering these forums, I can see clearly where I made my mistakes.

I think my problem is that I have everything down conceptually, but barley did ANY practice problems. I did not use the DAT Destroyer and I just made the purchased today. Does anyone have advice for how to study for reading and math? Those two sections really brought my average down.

I know this doesn’t look good, I’m trying really hard. I don’t want to give up my dream on being a dentist because of this test. This is all I ever wanted in my life. I wish I discovered these forums sooner. I attend a really small commuters college, so these dental resources isn’t available for me. But thats not an excuse, I should’ve done my research. I take full responsibility. I just want to know how bad does this look? Is their any way I can overcome this?

btw I'm not planning to apply this cycle.
Read my breakdown.
Prep. materials you use to prepare for DAT is very critical.
I retook in June and jumped from 19AA 20TS --> 23AA 24TS

BYU4you

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Use all of the strategies found on the bottom of each section on dat bootcamp.

Reading for example has a couple of strategies at the bottom and links to articles

OP
A
Sep 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the advice everyone! I have been looking at different breakdowns and it helps tremendously. I am confident I will do better the third time around. Thank you again!

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
You can PM me if you want. I also retook my dat and both scores were great even though there were not much of an improvement. I went from 20 AA 21 TS to 21 AA 22 TS.