I did worse on Step II...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genome41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got my step II score today and found out it went down 3 points from my Step I (224/91 to 221/91). I'm applying to IM programs, and I'm not sure if I should release this new piece of info (I have 1 interview so far). Help!! This was all I could think about today as I roamed the hospital floors aimlessly. :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

of course you should release your score.

First of all - it's a good score

Second - you passed and can't take it again. Why would you not release it?

Hey all,

I just got my step II score today and found out it went down 3 points from my Step I (224/91 to 221/91). I'm applying to IM programs, and I'm not sure if I should release this new piece of info (I have 1 interview so far). Help!! This was all I could think about today as I roamed the hospital floors aimlessly. :( :(
Seriously, relax. It's IM not derm/optho/rads/plastics/ent. You will survive and probably match into a good IM program. Go home, have a nice glass of whine and relax. Sorry, I meant wine. :):)

How about going down from 227/92 to 216/89? Is this a lot? I'm applying to IM. Should I release the score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, I couldn't help but freak out, it could have been much worse and I'm pretty sure I sound like an idiot! but it doesnt help when everyone jumps 5000 points. Not like I can do anything now. Thanks for the reassurance,

Another point is the huge standard deviation - average is 225, and the standard deviation is like 24. So you basically got the same score as the first time, is how I would look at it.

3 points difference (or even 9) is really just a couple questions. Perhaps the particular exam you got didn't accurately reflect your true knowledge - which is why the standard deviation is so large.

I think you're fine. As was said, it's a good score, you passed, IM isn't really competitive, and moreover, they know you have a passing score behind you. You're fine.

Another point is the huge standard deviation - average is 225, and the standard deviation is like 24. So you basically got the same score as the first time, is how I would look at it.

3 points difference (or even 9) is really just a couple questions. Perhaps the particular exam you got didn't accurately reflect your true knowledge - which is why the standard deviation is so large.

I think you're fine. As was said, it's a good score, you passed, IM isn't really competitive, and moreover, they know you have a passing score behind you. You're fine.

Another point is the random error margin. For the scores released today, that number is +/- 7. So you made pretty much the same score.

whew i hope so, i think i'll just blame those video questions which consumed way too much of my time and threw me off

Most places will not consider a 3 point drop (or rise) significant. It has been my impression (which could be off) that usually a 10 point change will cause people to take note, otherwise not really.

Congrats on finishing step II.