1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I didn't even know he died! School Bully's and how they affect people

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Poety, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-10/22.shtml

this is about Elliot Smith who I thought was still alive (like a big dummy) - anyway, if you read on, you'll see that he not only suffered from drug addiction, but also from what could be some sort of PTSD, if you listen to his music - you'd agree with the latter for sure.

Something to think about re: bullying in school and how it affects children when they grow up. Another example I can use is Thom Yorke, he feels like a very tortured soul and attributes a lot of his depression to being picked on in school. Yet these two people are wonderful muscians that use their voices to express their pain...

thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mosche

mosche Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey Poety, I really appreciated this link. As a product of the Jonesboro, Arkansas school system (aka 5th grade shootings), I find the topic of school bullies very interesting/timely. To me, those who are bullied seem to fall into three categories:

1. Those who use the experience as an impetus for creativity -- Elliot Smith and Thom Yorke are excellent examples of this particular group.

2. Those who deal with it, and just view it as another part of life -- I think that most of us fall into this category. I have noticed that most people in this category will find themselves being the bullies at some point -- perhaps victimizing those who are/were always viewed as the least popular persons in their peer groups -- typically they seem to feel more popular by turning their ire on those who are/were less popular. I have seriously considered writing a research grant proposal to study this phenomenon.

3. Those who are constantly victimized, and see no other recourse than violance. I think that these individuals are similar to those in group two, in that they too are trying to become the bully (i.e. make someone else suffer so that they can feel powerful/cool/popular).

Perhaps (probably) my assessments are a tad too simplistic; however, I think that there is some validity to them. Comments? Disagreements?

4. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree Mosche, and I'd also like to add, that having been a victim of bullying myself (by a tiny little girl at that, I was like twice her size - but I'm still damaged :oops: ) I'd say there is another group of those that get overly protective of people that get picked on. Thats me - I can't stand to see people pick on other people and get crazy - I risk a lot too in defending what I percieve to be injustices - I think a lot of people get like that after experiencing it themselves.

I bet some people with some analytical training could actually add to this thread and make some interesting points about what happens to the psyche when this occurs - are there any out there?

And Mosche - go for the grant! :thumbup:

5. mosche

mosche Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Careful Poety, you sound dangerously close to falling in category three! I'm confident that this crazy "MATCH" crap has you a bit on edge. Are you sure that there are no roaches in that 200 year old room? Perhaps there are bed bugs -- yeah, that's it, big scary bed bugs. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You know I'm only joking (or am I being a bully?). Perhaps I should apply for that grant.

6. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OMG I'm laffin so hard! DO NOT TEASE ME ABOUT BUGS OK? Ever since I saw that damn dateline NBC show on them, I can't get them out of my head ok? At least I admit it, thats the first step in dealing with the problem, to admit it. And yes, I have a problem with little bugs that are black and flat coming out of the carpets or living in the bed coming out and sucking my blood at night, it FREAKS ME OUT and gives me the willies :scared:

I'm Poety and I have a bed bug phobia +pad+ Happy now? :p

and I'm not like number 3!!! I'm not dangerous at all, unless you pick on my friends :laugh:

7. mosche

mosche Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So Poety, why do you think that you have such an extreme bug phobia? Why don't you lie down on your couch and tell me about your mother! :D

Why did you bring up your need to defend your friends? Tell me about it! :laugh:

8. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm about to start picking on YOU :eek: :p

9. mosche

mosche Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Aha! Classic number 3! That'll be $400.. :cool:

10. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Delta took my last 400. so you have to make it a freebee :eek: