I didn't even study....and got an A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know those pre-meds- they make the nefarious claim of not having studied for an exam, and STILL making that "A". I hate them. Why? Because of four reasons:

1) Their claim is completely false

2) They say it to embellish their grade and ego

3) They throw your study skills out of whack (or at least try to)

4) They are almost always the gunner pre-meds.

My question is: Why bother? Have you guys had any such experiences? How do you respond?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what they mean by "not studying" - for example...

I've had a couple of classes/tests where I didn't study at all and still got an A. This was the minority.

The majority were when I just didn't study that much (i.e 2 hours the night before a test) and it worked out. Some I had to study 3-4 hours for 3 days before the test and so on...

Usually when they say "I didn't study", it means they studied more than what I just listed. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You know those pre-meds- they make the nefarious claim of not having studied for an exam, and STILL making that "A". I hate them. Why? Because of four reasons:

My question is: Why bother? Have you guys had any such experiences? How do you respond?

People have psyche's and the psyche likes to maintain order and self-image. We have many mechanisms like self-serving biases which help us feel better about ourselves when we mess up. In the end we all do this in some way, if we didn't we are either perfect people or very depressed. In my opinion I ignore it/ say thats good, I'm happy for you.

I always encourage those people. bc they either 1) are really smart and deserve the praise or 2) are trying to sound impressive in which case, they need praise to make themselves feel good! so i kind of just throw them the bone

Look, I'm just saying it's all relative to:
- what class it is
- what a person defines as "not studying"
- how tool-ish the person is
- the scenario in which they told you this

I'm not sure why you think it's hard to get A's without studying. Do you need to study to ace an Algebra II final? Well, for some people, calculus and physics like that. For other people, Bio is like that.

The only problem is that I can underestimate a course and end up getting a B or a C instead of studying and get an A. Those are learning experiences for me. And I'm certainly not a gunner (see avatar title).

Example:

Cell Bio: All didactic, image-based concepts. I went to every single lecture and every single discussion section (at least 33% the length of lecture) and every review session (2+ hours lectures by TA's). I didn't read the book once, nor did I ever "study" outside of class. Got an A.

Genetics: Holy **** this is hard. Studied for at least 2 hours before the test doing mostly practice problems. Got an A.

Pharmacology: Should be easy, right? Wrong. Clonidine is not an antihistamine. Got a B.

Look, I'm just saying it's all relative to:
- what class it is
- what a person defines as "not studying"

- how tool-ish the person is
- the scenario in which they told you this

its mostly this, i think

for people like the OP (im assuming), who invest x or y amount of time per class, it makes sense for them to ALWAYS study and guarantee an A in the class with a certain consistent study habit

however, there are people who are okay with getting Bs and aren't driven by 4.0s. these people will study in an attempt not to fail or get a C (or whatever minimum standard they have) in the class and that minimum effort might be good enough to get them an A sometimes. you are only gonna hear about the time that they got an A on an exam though

I'm not sure why you think it's hard to get A's without studying. Do you need to study to ace an Algebra II final? Well, for some people, calculus and physics like that. For other people, Bio is like that.

The only problem is that I can underestimate a course and end up getting a B or a C instead of studying and get an A. Those are learning experiences for me. And I'm certainly not a gunner (see avatar title).

Example:

Cell Bio: All didactic, image-based concepts. I went to every single lecture and every single discussion section (at least 33% the length of lecture) and every review session (2+ hours lectures by TA's). I didn't read the book once, nor did I ever "study" outside of class. Got an A.

Genetics: Holy **** this is hard. Studied for at least 2 hours before the test doing mostly practice problems. Got an A.

Pharmacology: Should be easy, right? Wrong. Clonidine is not an antihistamine. Got a B.

Gosh darn you're smart. Cell bio and no studying? I'm impressed ;)

I got "A"s in a few classes "without studying". Not studying though to me meant attending all lectures and reading assignments in the textbook once through.

I remember in the fall of 1977 I was a freshman taking Bio 101 at WVU and did the "not studying" as I described. On the first test the professor said that he was going to grade on the curve because the second highest grade was 54%. Then he said one student had messed the curve up for everyone because that student got 100%. Then he called my name and gave me my perfect paper. It was a class of ~ 150 students and I am sure some people would have felt superior but it was rather uncomfortable because I knew all of the students were pissed off at me and rather than feeling superior I was thinking, what is wrong with everyone else, it wasn't that difficult a test.

And then there was microbiology... GAH! No amount of studying could store the nomenclature in my head. I do better with concepts. Rote memory is not my strength. Lots of studying and I only got a "C".

You asked my experience and that is it.

I didn't study for my last two test(including final) in Orgo II and got A's. Same can't be said for my other classes.

I studied my ass off in Mamm Phys and ended up with a B+.

Would it be okay if people said "I didn't even study and I got a :poke:!"? I'd enjoy that.

It's kinda like a thrill... ;p

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I can see how someone may just "get" something like physics or calculus and "not study" and still get an A...

However, for the people who claim to "not study" and get A's in bio classes (like Cell Bio., etc.) that require some MEMORIZATION to do well...i call complete BS unless you have a photographic memory and you go to every lecture and/or review period.....and the class doesn't require reading of the textbook. Otherwise, no matter how smart or intelligent you are, you still have to at least look at all of the material to do well enough to get an A...or you're simply luck as he11. I also think organic requires at least some memorization too...so i have a very hard time believing the person above who claims to have "not studied" and still got an A in the class.

Honestly, I can see how someone may just "get" something like physics or calculus and "not study" and still get an A...

However, for the people who claim to "not study" and get A's in bio classes (like Cell Bio., etc.) that require some MEMORIZATION to do well...i call complete BS unless you have a photographic memory and you go to every lecture and/or review period.....and the class doesn't require reading of the textbook. Otherwise, no matter how smart or intelligent you are, you still have to at least look at all of the material to do well enough to get an A...or you're simply luck as he11. I also think organic requires at least some memorization too...so i have a very hard time believing the person above who claims to have "not studied" and still got an A in the class.

Honestly, who cares? People are pathological liars. No one is born with intrinsic knowledge of arcane subjects like calculus or physics. They may get it, but you'd still have to be in class. Class time is a form of studying. End of argument.

My Orgo I professor said on the first day...you can memorize all the facts, or you can look for patterns. That stuck with me and I started to "get it" halfway though Orgo II. So yea, I didn't study for the last two test because it was the same reactions over and over again with just different names. It's like memorizing 9+9, 12 -3, but when you get to big numbers like 12324343 + 3435454, you can still solve it without memorization because you "GET" the pattern

My Orgo I professor said on the first day...you can memorize all the facts, or you can look for patterns. That stuck with me and I started to "get it" halfway though Orgo II. So yea, I didn't study for the last two test because it was the same reactions over and over again with just different names. It's like memorizing 9+9, 12 -3, but when you get to big numbers like 12324343 + 3435454, you can still solve it without memorization because you "GET" the pattern

I agree that there are patterns in orgo...not my point. Point is that you're still learning new material for those last two tests...yeah, patterns can get you pretty far in that class. however, to get an A, you still would have to have at least some preparation (unless the dude just made the class easier than it should be). i mean, did you not learn those "new" names, etc. you speak of?? in order to do so, you "studied"...also, if one of those tests was a cumulative final, i find it hard to believe you did well enough to get an A without refreshing your memory on the things you have to memorize in order to "get" these patterns in the first place...unless you have a photographic memory as i mentioned earlier.

I agree that there are patterns in orgo...not my point. Point is that you're still learning new material for those last two tests...yeah, patterns can get you pretty far in that class. however, to get an A, you still would have to have at least some preparation (unless the dude just made the class easier than it should be). i mean, did you not learn those "new" names, etc. you speak of?? in order to do so, you "studied"...also, if one of those tests was a cumulative final, i find it hard to believe you did well enough to get an A without refreshing your memory on the things you have to memorize in order to "get" these patterns in the first place...unless you have a photographic memory as i mentioned earlier.

Cumulative exam would still just test the same materials(meaning the same patterns). Orgo is simple when you master pattern recognition. Obviously you did not. I frankly don't give a **** whether or not you believe me. I posted my example to show in some cases "not studying" =/= making stuff up to boost ego. I went to class, and discussion and paid attention. we also did problems in discussion , and doing labs also reinforces material. But i general count studying as "Test is Friday, so I have to spend my evenings going over my notes till then"

Literally you can't just show up to a class and ace it (unless you're a super type genius). But you'll have to understand in some cases, people are genius specific. I felt like an Orgo God, because that was just easy to me. Others had trouble with it. Then again those individuals might have aced physics with little effort while the same was not the same for me.

To conclude this little orgo battle, if you don't understand how one could go without "studying" to ace the last two exams, then I don't think I could explain it to you over the internet.

Also we did not get "tested" on names. Then again, even the process of naming a compound had its own pattern.

I can't re-call off my head all what we were tested on, but alot of it was on the specific order(or pattern) a reaction would take, or be given the results of a reaction and have to come up with it going backwards. memorizing stuff like that is what I'd say 90-98% of the class did. Or atleast trying to memorize it. You don't need to memorize stuff when you can just figure it out.

I never hate people. If they are trying to brag, I just try listen to them and try to make them proud. Maybe they just want to have a good time for themselves. If they are bragging about test taking skills, I would listen carefully too. Maybe I can learn something from them.
I value self-development for myself is important. For other people, they have their own free will. The thing at least I can do is to support and encourage everyone without hating them.

Yeah, I didn't study for like any of my Genetics and Molecular Bio exams and I got many As. On the other hand, it's not like I would say that around my classmates when the average was like a B- on many tests.

People can definitely get As with different amounts of studying, from coming to a few classes or scanning the chapters to spending hours on it. We all learn differently and have different strengths.

Cell bio, on the other hand, I had to attend most classes and spend a few hours studying before tests to get like a B+. I know people who did far less and did far better.

But they aren't necessarily lying. Some probably are, or want to feel big, but people have vastly different strengths in learning many things.

Edit: I've definitely known people who seem to say stuff like that with it likely being untrue as a way to build themselves up (or perhaps bring others down, but I like to see the best in people). But then again, I didn't like most of the premeds I knew in my classes (the classes were big, so I'm sure there were alot of awesome people, but I only met one other premed I really liked through a lucky lab partnering).

The advice I would have is to just ignore it. Worry about what you need, not what other people do. We all have different strengths and weaknesses... and some people just aren't worth wasting time thinking about.

Last edited:
:rofl:

Yes, it also depends on the difficulty of the instructor and the courseload. It also depends on the type of instruction. Different people have different learning styles. If you find a prof that teaches based on your learning style: SCORE! I don't think hours of studying is necessarily correlated to level of intelligence.

So, do you think you won't study (or study 2 hours before a test) in professional school? Because, quite frankly, I am apprehensive of the courseload come Fall.

EDIT: and to the OP, the people who come on here to laud themselves probably have low self esteem to begin with. Otherwise, why the need for such praise?

I was gonna post this:
what_do_you_want_a_cookie_congrats_card-p137185378319979970qqld_400.jpg

But since your post is complaining about those people.... well, the truth is that some DO get A's with minimal studying. Some of us honestly don't need to study for the A. Still, to be throwing that around seems pretty jerk-ish to me.

Last edited:
when i say i didn't study i technically did but only by procrastinating and doing it last minute like only during finals week or a day or two before the exam. Therefore, it kind of felt wrong calling it studying since it's absolutely the last position I would want to be in and would never recommend it for anyone. For people with busy schedules, it's more like a necessity than a study strategy.

my last two college years i remember being 2-3 weeks behind in some of my classes and just catching that up when i had a little break between tests.

I am typically embarrassed to tell my grades to other people in my classes.

Saying "Yea, I am the one that eliminated a curve for the exam" or "Yea, I got a 100%" is rather blaaa, so I just say: "Yea, I did pretty good."

If they bust balls and respond with "what are you embarrassed to say your grade?" THEN I lay the numerical smack down on 'em. :)

Why do you care if they say they didn't study or not? I pretty much ignore people when they say they either studied a lot or didn't study at all. Not only does it not matter, they're too often full of crap for me to give a crap.

1) Their claim is completely falsez

I only study the night before an exam, and I usually do extremely well. The difference is, I never brag about it or even discuss it at all with anyone.

Check out the big brain on Brad!
Hahaha! Can't believe no one else was impressed with the Tarantino reference. This thread is the ultimate in ridiculousness, everyone talking about how they don't study but never brag about it (like they are now).

As for the OP, why does someone else's insecurity matter? In the words of Rihanna:

Just live ur life... AaAaA!

People are gonna brag, lie, exaggerate to make others feel bad. I just pity those people for needing validation from others and walk away with the A I was proud to have earned by workng my butt off in the library.

Last edited:
This thread is the ultimate in ridiculousness, everyone talking about how they don't study but never brag about it (like they are now).

Hahaha yea that is exactly what this thread is. An ego stroking session. People are listing off class after class that they didn't study for, followed by naming a class they studied for and got a B. Got to at least keep up appearances.

By they way, guys -- I didn't study for organic, biochemistry, physics, calculus I or II, anatomy and physiology, or cell bio. BUT I'm not bragging! I studied a lot for basket weaving and still got a B+. There was a guy in my class who studied far less than me and got a far better grade. So I hate when people brag about getting As w/o studying.

Saying "Yea, I am the one that eliminated a curve for the exam" or "Yea, I got a 100%" is rather blaaa, so I just say: "Yea, I did pretty good."
Saying it online is pretty cool, though. You da man!

Last edited:
Science classes were easy for me. English was hard.

haha, way to think better of it jpatel

I go out of my way to let everyone know that I make perfect scores without studying so that when I enter the class room the professor kneels and my classmates come forth to kiss my feet.

OMG...if you have to study as a pre-med, you have no chance in med school! LOL :)

I think we should have a contest for "pre-med gunner" schools. I assert that SUNY Stony Brook is the most inundated with them, and the most hateful. Professors (not just in the sciences) roll their eyes when students mention med school. I understand their disgust...everyone here is an "effortlessly brilliant" pre-med. Ugh.

I'm a non-trad commuter, and I've heard this story more than once: my roommate/suite mate SWEARS he/she doesn't study, and he/she is always partying or volunteering or doing research. But he/she studies literally after everyone goes to sleep at night, as though it's an addiction they're ashamed of. Pretty disturbing, isn't it?

bragging about not studying... never left high school did we?

Pre-reqs/Upper level BCMP courses? Don't believe it.

100 level philosophy/religious studies/english/etc.? Understandable. I've done this with these courses mainly because I consistently attended lectures and I seem to be an auditory learner (...things professors say/the way they say it tends to stick in my brain well).

Pre-reqs/Upper level BCMP courses? Don't believe it.

100 level philosophy/religious studies/english/etc.? Understandable. I've done this with these courses mainly because I consistently attended lectures and I seem to be an auditory learner (...things professors say/the way they say it tends to stick in my brain well).

I can agree, I never had to study for a sociology exam or something like that. But for a science class not studying is like asking for a punch in the face, it's just something I don't think would be very smart.

I wouldn't believe it, but I have a friend who legitimately does this and it's so aggravating to me!!!

bragging about not studying... never left high school did we?

LOL! As bizarre as it is, I can even understand that not studying for physics and doing well proves some innate ability to understand abstract facts. I've known a few incredibly bright people who only need to hear it once and learn the equations to be able to manipulate those concepts.

But asserting that you instinctively KNOW biochem without actually studying is absolutely absurd and laughable. Nobody just "gets" the various metabolic cycles, RNA/DNA transcription, and the thousands of enzymes that work on various pathways...you have to put in some amount of time to learn them, and even the most "brilliant" scientists didn't assimilate this information just by going to lectures!

If i studied moar instead of cramming the night before, i couldve gotten an A =(

I just read through this thread, and now I'm really laughing! And I'm really, really impressed by those who can describe the mechanism of Levosimendan without ever reading or studying! You should use your real names, so the rest of us can say "we knew you when..." LOL!!!

Hahaha yea that is exactly what this thread is. An ego stroking session. People are listing off class after class that they didn't study for, followed by naming a class they studied for and got a B. Got to at least keep up appearances.

By they way, guys -- I didn't study for organic, biochemistry, physics, calculus I or II, anatomy and physiology, or cell bio. BUT I'm not bragging! I studied a lot for basket weaving and still got a B+. There was a guy in my class who studied far less than me and got a far better grade. So I hate when people brag about getting As w/o studying.

Saying it online is pretty cool, though. You da man!

That is a direct reference to me. If you read the rest of it critically, you'd know the purpose of my post was not an ego stroke. OP was claiming most people make stuff up when they say stuff like that. I gave an example of two test I did not study for and still ended up with an A in the class. Meaning...even though some may exaggerate, sometimes there may be some truth to their statements. To just simplify it by claiming everyone else is lying is pain ignorance. That itself can be seen as an "ego stroking" defense mechanism.

BTW, in real life, I did not tell anyone about this because it never came up. Posting this online wouldn't stroke my ego as no one knows who I am. But i guess posting a real life experience in a thread about that very subject makes me the "liar", "insecure", or looking to "stroke my ego".

Yea, keep "laughing" at this thread, I'm laughing right back at you. Because on this subject you think you know, but I actually know.

LOL, well you learn something new everyday...

apparently organic chemistry is just a bunch of patterns that you don't have to study for...you can just "get" it with no preparation. funny how people claim to not have "studied" even when they went to the classes, did practice problems, did the hw, went to review sessions, etc. (i guess all of that isn't studying)...and yeah, all of the people on here claiming how intelligent they are and how they never brag about it (except for when they brag about it on SDN) are comical...

ive not studied and got a's. but i dont tell people unless its like a miracle lol. i know a guy that everyone knows as the kid who never studies and still gets atleast a high B on everything but for the bio class we are taking he didnt study for the first test and got a D. WHAT DID HE BLAME IT ON?? not studying...

needless to say he studied 500% more on the next test and got a 94. guys like this dont study to have a back up plan for failure. in reality they may have received a's w/o studying before but eventually it catches up to them and they either adapt, study, or continue the folly of their ways and up settling for low expectations. cause thats what they set up for themselves.

LOL, well you learn something new everyday...

apparently organic chemistry is just a bunch of patterns that you don't have to study for...you can just "get" it with no preparation. funny how people claim to not have "studied" even when they went to the classes, did practice problems, did the hw, went to review sessions, etc. (i guess all of that isn't studying)...and yeah, all of the people on here claiming how intelligent they are and how they never brag about it (except for when they brag about it on SDN) are comical...

yea, real comical. We already discussed going to class, or mandatory discussion. And i explained studying as "extra time spent outside class going over notes a couple of nights before the test"

Nobody's claiming how intelligent they are. If you wanted everyone to come in this thread to agree with the O poster so all of you could make light of the possibility that some people can ace tests without "studying" then thats too bad.

This is SDN, we are to share out experiences, not to make everyone feel better about their simplistic "theories" about other pre-meds.

I did go to class, do the problems for discussions, but that was it for the LAST TWO test in ORGO II. I didn't claim to ACE every test like that, just the LAST TWO tests. Which would be around an appropriate time for the light to go on and to see how simple it really is. If you didn't, and you were one of those many that spent countless hours memorizing every reaction for every test well too bad. I did that too, but i also kept an open mind about the studying process since my first semester prof himself said Orgo can be simplified if you master the patterns.

It's really ironic that trying to refute my experience with Orgo IS actually beginning to stroke the ego a bit.

Sorry you couldn't see it, too bad.

I don't count doing homework as studying...

Studying is: reading carefully with intent to remember, or applying the mind to learning a subject.

Homework is not me trying to learn more; it's just me trying to get an A. So for classes like theatre, no I don't study for the tests and still get an A. You can throw history of rock n roll under that criteria as well as first year gen chem and first year bio. Actually, there's a lot of classes where my high school education was enough for me to earn an A in college and where I could just b.s. things and end up getting an A. The averages in my g-chem classes was like a 65% on the exams too. It's just how it goes.

A person who plays baseball a lot might throw harder than you even if they went a month without practicing and you practiced a ton for that month.

A taller person might be better at basketball than you even if they don't practice and you do.

It's just how life works man, stop complaining, get A's and get into med-school. Don't worry about other people because there will always be people better than you and people worse. Just worry about yourself and be successful in your own way.

That is a direct reference to me. If you read the rest of it critically, you'd know the purpose of my post was not an ego stroke. OP was claiming most people make stuff up when they say stuff like that. I gave an example of two test I did not study for and still ended up with an A in the class. Meaning...even though some may exaggerate, sometimes there may be some truth to their statements. To just simplify it by claiming everyone else is lying is pain ignorance. That itself can be seen as an "ego stroking" defense mechanism.

BTW, in real life, I did not tell anyone about this because it never came up. Posting this online wouldn't stroke my ego as no one knows who I am. But i guess posting a real life experience in a thread about that very subject makes me the "liar", "insecure", or looking to "stroke my ego".

Yea, keep "laughing" at this thread, I'm laughing right back at you. Because on this subject you think you know, but I actually know.

Unless there is some back-and-forth history between you two, I'm not sure he was referring to you specifically. I was joking non-specifically about the pre-meds who "never" study for anything but miraculously pull off 4.0s. Personally, I aced both gen chem and orgo without formally "studying" because I understood the gen chem concepts, and orgo was like a puzzle to me...I recognized the pattern you alluded to. It definitely helped that my classes were small and I had to actively participate, rather than zone out the way I tend to do in large power-point based lectures.

But I had to work out a ton of physics problems to get the material, and I have to study pharmacology and physiology and other memorization-based classes. I didn't sense that anyone in this thread was mocking anyone individually...I thought we were ALL mocking the self-proclaimed "geniuses" who "breeze through" every class they take without studying. There are few people who really can do that, and their talent is rarely so multi-faceted that all of undergrad (or med school) is effortless. We all have our strengths, whether it's orgo, cell bio, or whatever just comes naturally...but only a few people on this planet can claim it's ALL easy :)