My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wisconsin
Visit site
Status
So I was just reviewing something a few days ago in Tintinalli's... and found this (I am paraphrasing, because its upstairs and I have two days off and am NOT wasting my energy to go get it for SDN's sake):

In vaginal bleeders, one should always do a recto-vaginal exam.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I did one. Sure, vag, no problem. Rectal? Iffy especially if the Hx is pretty straightforward.

So, I disagree with the book. I said it!

Q

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
I remember when I did my Ob rotation and the text (whose name escapes me) states that a women should have a recto-vaginal exam when a woman has her annual exam. I asked a bunch of my classmates and the bottom line is that only 1 of 6 had ever had that done. I think this is a case of best practices type stuff vs what happens in the real world.

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
DrQuinn said:
So I was just reviewing something a few days ago in Tintinalli's... and found this (I am paraphrasing, because its upstairs and I have two days off and am NOT wasting my energy to go get it for SDN's sake):

In vaginal bleeders, one should always do a recto-vaginal exam.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I did one. Sure, vag, no problem. Rectal? Iffy especially if the Hx is pretty straightforward.

So, I disagree with the book. I said it!

Q
It's just a book with a chapter written by an academic, often junior. I say, go with what makes sense.

About the Ads

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 1999
The Land of Lincoln
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
EctopicFetus said:
I remember when I did my Ob rotation and the text (whose name escapes me) states that a women should have a recto-vaginal exam when a woman has her annual exam. I asked a bunch of my classmates and the bottom line is that only 1 of 6 had ever had that done. I think this is a case of best practices type stuff vs what happens in the real world.
I asked a urogyn who does recto-vag exams why. He said you have a greater chance of finding ovarian masses.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Annette said:
I asked a urogyn who does recto-vag exams why. He said you have a greater chance of finding ovarian masses.
Wow.....I learned something new

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status
Post Doc
Annette said:
I do them not infrequently. I have found retro cecal appys (granted, still needed a CT to talk the surgeons into the OR), two endometrial nests (exquisite tenderness and "fullness" in pouch of Douglas), and one huge cyst that was causing mechanical constipation.

In short, I'm a believer.

- H

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Personally, I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.

OP
DrQuinn

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wisconsin
Visit site
Status
FoughtFyr said:
I do them not infrequently. I have found retro cecal appys (granted, still needed a CT to talk the surgeons into the OR), two endometrial nests (exquisite tenderness and "fullness" in pouch of Douglas), and one huge cyst that was causing mechanical constipation.

In short, I'm a believer.

- H
I'm a believer... if its indicated.

Young woman, three days of abnormal vaginal bleeding, no other complaints. T's says do a RV exam. I'm saying no need to.

Now if she comes in with 5# weight loss, some constitutional symptoms, significant pain, or GI complains, sure.

But, man, doin' the six-pack hold on her? I'll hold. She can f/u with her gyney anyways.

Q

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status
Post Doc
DrQuinn said:
I'm a believer... if its indicated.

Young woman, three days of abnormal vaginal bleeding, no other complaints. T's says do a RV exam. I'm saying no need to.

Now if she comes in with 5# weight loss, some constitutional symptoms, significant pain, or GI complains, sure.

But, man, doin' the six-pack hold on her? I'll hold. She can f/u with her gyney anyways.

Q
Oh, I agree with you in that scenario. I've just seen too many folks skip it in the undifferentiated lower abd. pain / pelvic pain in the female of childbearing age. In that setting, I find it useful...

- H

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
DrQuinn said:
It's funny you mention it that way, because, due to this thread, I was thinking back to all those long years ago when I was a 3rd year student on Ob/Gyn, and I was in my preceptor's office (away from hospital), and he would do annual exams. He always did the RV exam, and I had to laugh, because he did a modified "shocker" ('modified' only because they weren't at the same time).

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
Status
BTW.....I fully intend to put the aforementioned knowledge to use for my own purposes..... :smuggrin:

GeneralVeers

Stable Genius
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
DropkickMurphy said:
BTW.....I fully intend to put the aforementioned knowledge to use for my own purposes..... :smuggrin:
No need to do an U/S on most vag bleeders. If they're not pregnant, have a normal Hct, and an unremarkable pelvic exam they should go home. Dispo in 10 minutes or less.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
kungfufishing said:
Assuming you have the probe, wouldnt TVUS be better anyway?
Looking for what? As EM U/S goes, free fluid and an IUP are what I'm specifically looking for. Beyond that, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not making any other definitive statements.

bulgethetwine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
DropkickMurphy said:
Just remember the old adage with the double meaning:

Don't insult the vagina by doing the rectal exam first! ;)

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
Status
bulgethetwine said:
Just remember the old adage with the double meaning:

Don't insult the vagina by doing the rectal exam first! ;)
:smuggrin:

About the Ads