I disagree with Tintinalli's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just reviewing something a few days ago in Tintinalli's... and found this (I am paraphrasing, because its upstairs and I have two days off and am NOT wasting my energy to go get it for SDN's sake):

In vaginal bleeders, one should always do a recto-vaginal exam.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I did one. Sure, vag, no problem. Rectal? Iffy especially if the Hx is pretty straightforward.

So, I disagree with the book. I said it!

Q

Members don't see this ad.

I remember when I did my Ob rotation and the text (whose name escapes me) states that a women should have a recto-vaginal exam when a woman has her annual exam. I asked a bunch of my classmates and the bottom line is that only 1 of 6 had ever had that done. I think this is a case of best practices type stuff vs what happens in the real world.

DrQuinn said:
So I was just reviewing something a few days ago in Tintinalli's... and found this (I am paraphrasing, because its upstairs and I have two days off and am NOT wasting my energy to go get it for SDN's sake):

In vaginal bleeders, one should always do a recto-vaginal exam.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I did one. Sure, vag, no problem. Rectal? Iffy especially if the Hx is pretty straightforward.

So, I disagree with the book. I said it!

Q

It's just a book with a chapter written by an academic, often junior. I say, go with what makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
EctopicFetus said:
I remember when I did my Ob rotation and the text (whose name escapes me) states that a women should have a recto-vaginal exam when a woman has her annual exam. I asked a bunch of my classmates and the bottom line is that only 1 of 6 had ever had that done. I think this is a case of best practices type stuff vs what happens in the real world.

I asked a urogyn who does recto-vag exams why. He said you have a greater chance of finding ovarian masses.

Annette said:
I asked a urogyn who does recto-vag exams why. He said you have a greater chance of finding ovarian masses.
Wow.....I learned something new

Annette said:

I do them not infrequently. I have found retro cecal appys (granted, still needed a CT to talk the surgeons into the OR), two endometrial nests (exquisite tenderness and "fullness" in pouch of Douglas), and one huge cyst that was causing mechanical constipation.

In short, I'm a believer.

- H

Personally, I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.

FoughtFyr said:
I do them not infrequently. I have found retro cecal appys (granted, still needed a CT to talk the surgeons into the OR), two endometrial nests (exquisite tenderness and "fullness" in pouch of Douglas), and one huge cyst that was causing mechanical constipation.

In short, I'm a believer.

- H
I'm a believer... if its indicated.

Young woman, three days of abnormal vaginal bleeding, no other complaints. T's says do a RV exam. I'm saying no need to.

Now if she comes in with 5# weight loss, some constitutional symptoms, significant pain, or GI complains, sure.

But, man, doin' the six-pack hold on her? I'll hold. She can f/u with her gyney anyways.

Q

DrQuinn said:
I'm a believer... if its indicated.

Young woman, three days of abnormal vaginal bleeding, no other complaints. T's says do a RV exam. I'm saying no need to.

Now if she comes in with 5# weight loss, some constitutional symptoms, significant pain, or GI complains, sure.

But, man, doin' the six-pack hold on her? I'll hold. She can f/u with her gyney anyways.

Q

Oh, I agree with you in that scenario. I've just seen too many folks skip it in the undifferentiated lower abd. pain / pelvic pain in the female of childbearing age. In that setting, I find it useful...

- H

DrQuinn said:

It's funny you mention it that way, because, due to this thread, I was thinking back to all those long years ago when I was a 3rd year student on Ob/Gyn, and I was in my preceptor's office (away from hospital), and he would do annual exams. He always did the RV exam, and I had to laugh, because he did a modified "shocker" ('modified' only because they weren't at the same time).

Assuming you have the probe, wouldnt TVUS be better anyway?

BTW.....I fully intend to put the aforementioned knowledge to use for my own purposes..... :smuggrin:

DropkickMurphy said:
BTW.....I fully intend to put the aforementioned knowledge to use for my own purposes..... :smuggrin:

No need to do an U/S on most vag bleeders. If they're not pregnant, have a normal Hct, and an unremarkable pelvic exam they should go home. Dispo in 10 minutes or less.

DropkickMurphy said:

Just remember the old adage with the double meaning:

Don't insult the vagina by doing the rectal exam first! ;)

bulgethetwine said:
Just remember the old adage with the double meaning:

Don't insult the vagina by doing the rectal exam first! ;)
:smuggrin:

Panda Bear said:
Personally, I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.

beefcake....beefcake!

gotta love the south park quotes.