DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
4,227
16
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
So I was just reviewing something a few days ago in Tintinalli's... and found this (I am paraphrasing, because its upstairs and I have two days off and am NOT wasting my energy to go get it for SDN's sake):

In vaginal bleeders, one should always do a recto-vaginal exam.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I did one. Sure, vag, no problem. Rectal? Iffy especially if the Hx is pretty straightforward.

So, I disagree with the book. I said it!

Q
 

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
11,186
1,239
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I remember when I did my Ob rotation and the text (whose name escapes me) states that a women should have a recto-vaginal exam when a woman has her annual exam. I asked a bunch of my classmates and the bottom line is that only 1 of 6 had ever had that done. I think this is a case of best practices type stuff vs what happens in the real world.
 

BKN

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
1,560
4
DrQuinn said:
So I was just reviewing something a few days ago in Tintinalli's... and found this (I am paraphrasing, because its upstairs and I have two days off and am NOT wasting my energy to go get it for SDN's sake):

In vaginal bleeders, one should always do a recto-vaginal exam.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I did one. Sure, vag, no problem. Rectal? Iffy especially if the Hx is pretty straightforward.

So, I disagree with the book. I said it!

Q

It's just a book with a chapter written by an academic, often junior. I say, go with what makes sense.
 
About the Ads

Annette

gainfully employed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 1999
1,446
3
The Land of Lincoln
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
EctopicFetus said:
I remember when I did my Ob rotation and the text (whose name escapes me) states that a women should have a recto-vaginal exam when a woman has her annual exam. I asked a bunch of my classmates and the bottom line is that only 1 of 6 had ever had that done. I think this is a case of best practices type stuff vs what happens in the real world.

I asked a urogyn who does recto-vag exams why. He said you have a greater chance of finding ovarian masses.
 

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
2,212
28
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Annette said:
I asked a urogyn who does recto-vag exams why. He said you have a greater chance of finding ovarian masses.

I do them not infrequently. I have found retro cecal appys (granted, still needed a CT to talk the surgeons into the OR), two endometrial nests (exquisite tenderness and "fullness" in pouch of Douglas), and one huge cyst that was causing mechanical constipation.

In short, I'm a believer.

- H
 

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
4,227
16
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
FoughtFyr said:
I do them not infrequently. I have found retro cecal appys (granted, still needed a CT to talk the surgeons into the OR), two endometrial nests (exquisite tenderness and "fullness" in pouch of Douglas), and one huge cyst that was causing mechanical constipation.

In short, I'm a believer.

- H
I'm a believer... if its indicated.

Young woman, three days of abnormal vaginal bleeding, no other complaints. T's says do a RV exam. I'm saying no need to.

Now if she comes in with 5# weight loss, some constitutional symptoms, significant pain, or GI complains, sure.

But, man, doin' the six-pack hold on her? I'll hold. She can f/u with her gyney anyways.

Q
 

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
2,212
28
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
DrQuinn said:
I'm a believer... if its indicated.

Young woman, three days of abnormal vaginal bleeding, no other complaints. T's says do a RV exam. I'm saying no need to.

Now if she comes in with 5# weight loss, some constitutional symptoms, significant pain, or GI complains, sure.

But, man, doin' the six-pack hold on her? I'll hold. She can f/u with her gyney anyways.

Q

Oh, I agree with you in that scenario. I've just seen too many folks skip it in the undifferentiated lower abd. pain / pelvic pain in the female of childbearing age. In that setting, I find it useful...

- H
 

Apollyon

Screw the GST
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
22,041
7,560
SCREW IT!
DrQuinn said:
But, man, doin' the six-pack hold on her? I'll hold. She can f/u with her gyney anyways.

It's funny you mention it that way, because, due to this thread, I was thinking back to all those long years ago when I was a 3rd year student on Ob/Gyn, and I was in my preceptor's office (away from hospital), and he would do annual exams. He always did the RV exam, and I had to laugh, because he did a modified "shocker" ('modified' only because they weren't at the same time).
 

kungfufishing

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
1,053
6
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Assuming you have the probe, wouldnt TVUS be better anyway?
 

GeneralVeers

Socially Distanced
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
7,277
6,395
Las Vegas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
DropkickMurphy said:
BTW.....I fully intend to put the aforementioned knowledge to use for my own purposes..... :smuggrin:

No need to do an U/S on most vag bleeders. If they're not pregnant, have a normal Hct, and an unremarkable pelvic exam they should go home. Dispo in 10 minutes or less.
 

bulgethetwine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
779
3
Status (Visible)
DropkickMurphy said:
BTW.....I fully intend to put the aforementioned knowledge to use for my own purposes..... :smuggrin:

Just remember the old adage with the double meaning:

Don't insult the vagina by doing the rectal exam first! ;)
 

lattimer13

good boy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2002
1,187
7
42
Pacific NW
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Panda Bear said:
Personally, I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.

beefcake....beefcake!

gotta love the south park quotes.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.