• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

amichail

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
First time user, so excuse me if this has been asked b4... My sister will be applying to Med schools for '08, and she was wondering if having her application in by june, but taking the August MCAT will hurt her chances of acceptance... Basically do med schools have rolling admissions or do rounds of acceptances. Where as each round has equal number of seats for applicants?
I'm sure the earlier your application is complete the better your chances are. However if your app is complete by mid August are your chances diminished even slightly, or is it all the same?

delpier07

10+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Earlier the better is correct, but it will not have as profound of an impact in the '08 application cycle because I believe due to computer-based MCAT testing, the turnaround time for the exam will only be 1 month instead of the 2 months that past applicants have had to wait.

About the Ads

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
First time user, so excuse me if this has been asked b4... My sister will be applying to Med schools for '08, and she was wondering if having her application in by june, but taking the August MCAT will hurt her chances of acceptance... Basically do med schools have rolling admissions or do rounds of acceptances. Where as each round has equal number of seats for applicants?
I'm sure the earlier your application is complete the better your chances are. However if your app is complete by mid August are your chances diminished even slightly, or is it all the same?

She should really try to take her MCAT before the summer she applies, otherwise it doesn't really matter when she gets her AMCAS in because schools will put her on hold until Oct-Nov when her scores roll in. With so many opportunities to take the new CBT she shouldnt have a problem getting her scores before app time.

BellyDancingDoc

Rump Shaker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes, everything the other posters said is correct: a late MCAT will absolutely hurt your sister's chances for admission.

That said, if you don't mind me asking, why isn't your sister on here asking these questions for herself? While I think you're doing an admirable job of being a good sibling, I suspect that she could learn even more if she came on here to ask these questions, herself. After all there are lots of other helpful threads here that she could read, as well.

moe_4eva

doprepd on my haed
10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
foco
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Earlier the better is correct, but it will not have as profound of an impact in the '08 application cycle because I believe due to computer-based MCAT testing, the turnaround time for the exam will only be 1 month instead of the 2 months that past applicants have had to wait.

I completely disagree with that. Sure turnaround time is less, but it will hurt her regardless, just not quite as much as in previous years. When applying, you want every advantage, and not taking the mcat early puts you at a disadvantage when compared to other applicants.

As a side note, tell her to get the primary and secondary apps. in early, and tell her to make sure that everything, and I do mean everything, gets sent in. I had trouble with a) a school I took a summer class from sending in my transcript (they apparently forgot to send it out), which resulted in my primary not being complete for an extra month and b) my undergrad school sending in letters of recommendation (some of which still haven't arrived, but that's a different story).

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Yes, it will hurt her chances. On the other hand, if she can spend the summer studying and do really well on the MCAT, she'll have a much better chance than if she takes it too early and gets a mediocre score. I had originally intended to take the April MCAT and apply early this year. While I was studying and taking classes, it became clear that I wouldn't be able to do well both in my classes and on the MCAT, so I decided to concentrate on school and take the August MCAT instead. I studied my butt off over the summer, got a really good score, and ended up with a lot more interviews than most of my friends who applied early. So here's my advice for late applicants:

1) Do REALLY well on the MCAT. Study until your eyes bleed.

2) Have everything else on your application complete as soon as possible so that all you're waiting for is your MCAT score.

3) Return your secondary applications as quickly as possible. You will get many of these before you get your MCAT scores.

4) Apply broadly.

Good luck!

GreenEyes24

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
She can still get in-- I sent my apps early but took the August MCAT- and still got 7 interviews, and so far 2 acceptances. the annoying part is that you hear LATER and you have to put up with all these people you know getting accepted in October-Nov and you start getting nervous! it's not a death sentence-- I wish I had taken it earlier, but knew I couldn't, so oH well.

amichail

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
Yes, everything the other posters said is correct: a late MCAT will absolutely hurt your sister's chances for admission.

That said, if you don't mind me asking, why isn't your sister on here asking these questions for herself? While I think you're doing an admirable job of being a good sibling, I suspect that she could learn even more if she came on here to ask these questions, herself. After all there are lots of other helpful threads here that she could read, as well.

Fortunately, for her own sanity... She doesn't know about this website... Ohhh the endless number of hours I've had scavenging through forums when I should have been studying....

amichail

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
I will tell here when the time is right... LOL... but point well taken dancing doc

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.