I don't feel good about my chances.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isso1418

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at everyone getting interviews along with their stats and I feel like I don't stand a chance.
I have a sGPA of 3.75 and oGPA of 3.66 and DAT scores: AA 19, TS 20, GC 21, OC 21, PAT 18, RC 18 QR 16, BIO 18. I have 1000+ volunteering hours, 140 hours of shadowing, manager of a family owned business. And 2 science LOR and 1 Dentist LOR and 1 Calc prof LOR. I founded a youth group and Im a first generation Egyptian American. Im so nervous and anxious that I won't get any interviews....

I applied to:
Vcu
Lecom
Mwu az
U of ill
Nyu
Uconn
Nova
Tufts
Usc
Penn state
Maryland
Howard
Meharry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am just a lowly applicant as well but it seems like your app is pretty solid to me. I think a lot of SDNer's have superstar stats and apply early so they grab those first few interview slots from all the schools. The population you are looking at on SDN is not representative of the total pre-dental population applying. I think that your app is strong compared to the midline of applicants and that you will receive at least one interview (if you applied to the correct schools.) Be confident in your app and be patient, the process is long and hard but you will most likely come out on top.

Reactions: 6 users
I am just a lowly applicant as well but it seems like your app is pretty solid to me. I think a lot of SDNer's have superstar stats and apply early so they grab those first few interview slots from all the schools. The population you are looking at on SDN is not representative of the total pre-dental population applying. I think that your app is strong compared to the midline of applicants and that you will receive at least one interview (if you applied to the correct schools.) Be confident in your app and be patient, the process is long and hard but you will most likely come out on top.
Thank you for that! It made me feel better :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at everyone getting interviews along with their stats and I feel like I don't stand a chance.
I have a sGPA of 3.66 and oGPA of 3.58 and DAT scores: AA 19, TS 20, GC 21, OC 21, PAT 18, RC 18 QR 16, BIO 18. I have 1000+ volunteering hours, 140 hours of shadowing, manager of a family owned business. And 2 science LOR and 1 Dentist LOR and 1 Calc prof LOR. I founded a youth group and Im a first generation Egyptian American. Im so nervous and anxious that I won't get any interviews....

I have a sGPA of 2.94 and an oGPA of 3.27. I haven't taken the DAT because I'm taking O-chem over the summer and I'm pregnant and I have two kids and I work full-time... so a month after my due date it is...10/23 (yay!) I would love to trade places with you.

I worry about everything that you worry about, but you have much better grades and your DAT score is OK. All I have going for me is my military service record and I'm not sure that's going to get me very far. You have good ECs.

Apply broadly and you have a really good chance of getting in to a school I think. We all worry about these things. It doesn't help anything so try to do something that makes you happy instead. Go to a movie.

I think you'll be fine if you apply broadly. If for some reason you don't get any interviews this cycle, I'd maybe retake the DAT.

Also, I don't think Penn State has a dental school, you might've confused that with UPenn?

Hang in there! If my crappy 3.02 GPA got me an interview, then you will be fine.

Don't be discouraged if you get a denial first. I got my first from UCSF and it crushed me, even though I never expected to get in in the first place. I've got 10 more schools that I'm waiting to hear back from.

Good luck! It takes a lot of work to get to this point so be proud of what you've done.

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there! If my crappy 3.02 GPA got me an interview, then you will be fine.

Don't be discouraged if you get a denial first. I got my first from UCSF and it crushed me, even though I never expected to get in in the first place. I've got 10 more schools that I'm waiting to hear back from.

Good luck! It takes a lot of work to get to this point so be proud of what you've done.
Thank you for that! We got this, hopefully!

Reactions: 1 user
I would add a few more schools and maybe remove some.
Based on your list:
My DAT was higher last cycle (21TS 20AA) but my GPA slightly lower and I did not get an interview when I applied June 2016 to: Maryland, VCU, Nova, Penn

There's a chance you may since it is somewhat random. I did get 11 interviews at LECOM, MW (both), Minnesota, UDM, CWRU, BU, 2 in state schools, Creighton, Touro.

I didn't apply to NYU, Penn, USC, Howard or Meharry (I'm not an URM).
Which schools did you get accepted into?