I don't feel I have enough research experience to apply, but a mentor is interested in me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm a psychology undergraduate who unfortunately has pretty limited research experience for a rising senior. I began working an Autism Research Lab this January, now I'm completing a directed project with the lab for the summer, and I'll be writing a thesis with this lab for my senior year. I am also working in a psycho physiology lab this summer. A couple weeks ago, an Autism researcher from Dalhousie University visited my lab, and spoke to a few of the interns. She was interested in my project and asked if I was planning on applying to graduate school. I said yes but that I would probably be taking a gap year; however, I mentioned that I would apply this year if I had identified a really good fit. She emailed me this week and asked if I would like to Skype her.

The reason I only recently became involved in research is because I was planning to go to OT school. I didn't believe in my ability to pursue a PhD until recently.

So, if the Skype call goes well, I would be applying to Dalhousie's Clinical Psychology program this Fall. If the research fit is great, will that help compensate for my sort of limited research experience? Or should I still take a gap year? Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s all about fit. If you find a great fit and the training matches your training goals....I say go for it*.

*assuming the program is APA or CPA (Canada, not California) accredited and has a solid match rate. I’m not familiar with Dalhousie, but hopefully others can chime in.

Reactions: 1 user