I don't know what schools to apply to realistically.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossFloss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me with a list of schools I should apply to? I live in the Boston area and need a list of East coast schools that will be realistic. I haven't done any research on any of these schools. Don't know how, so I just have a list based off on previous posts on sdn. I think my stats limit me quite a bit but is it completely a waste to leave out schools like harvard? I know lecom is a good backup school, but I definitely don't want to go there.

Here are my stats: 3.25 sgpa, 3.37 gpa, 21AA 21TS 21PAT (19 on RC). 100hrs shadowing, EMT experience, no research.

Also, how do I research the "strengths" of a school? I feel like I have no idea what to say about why i like that school, like the same answer for every school. they have good research, they have good clinic, they have good equipment..location, where do I find these information?

Members don't see this ad.

- X>40% OOS
- +/- 1 DAT average matriculation
-+/- (0.5-1) science and overall GPA

meow

Last edited:
Sorry I'm a bit confused as to what u wrote haha

Members don't see this ad :)
UNE, BU, Tufts, NYU, UDM, Rutgers, Case, Temple, Roseman, Louisville, Marquette, LECOM, Nova, USC, Western, MWU-AZ, MWU-IL
Hey, I don't think I'll be able to pay for the applications if it's 10+ schools. 10 to 12 is maximum I think I can afford. Do you think I'll have a chance at making any schools from this list other than LECOM if I don't apply broader than 10-12? (I am really against lecom).

sjv, oh and also why not university of michigan? is that also a good addition?

Hey, I don't think I'll be able to pay for the applications if it's 10+ schools. 10 to 12 is maximum I think I can afford. Do you think I'll have a chance at making any schools from this list other than LECOM if I don't apply broader than 10-12? (I am really against lecom).

Listen, no one can tell you whether you'll get in or where you'll get in. If you're going to make a good list you should do your own research using the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. The schools posted are good ones to look into/start with and definitely ones that should be on your radar. Unfortunately I agree with @GJMeig that UMich and UPenn are likely out of reach.

Reactions: 1 user

If you have no interest in going there, simply don't apply. Then check individual requirements as you may not have taken all the required classes.

sjv, oh and also why not university of michigan? is that also a good addition?
and is UPenn is completely out of reach?

Probably out of reach due to GPA, DAT is okay.

Thanks everyone for the advice.. UPenn is not a school that really cares about stories of overcoming obstacles and whatnot then i assume?

Thanks everyone for the advice.. UPenn is not a school that really cares about stories of overcoming obstacles and whatnot then i assume?
uh no. You can't make that assumption. It is because they accept applicants with very higher GPA/DAT.

uh no. You can't make that assumption. It is because they accept applicants with very higher GPA/DAT.
I understand that after the second guy told me lol. I'm not in any way shape or form underestimating their competition. I guess what I meant to ask is if they have an absolute clear cut off at 3.2 gpa. No one ever knows what could happen with their life right haha. But then again, I will heed your warnings and not waste my money on this school. Or maybe I'll spend on one ultimate reach school and let God decide 8)

I understand that after the second guy told me lol. I'm not in any way shape or form underestimating their competition. I guess what I meant to ask is if they have an absolute clear cut off at 3.2 gpa. No one ever knows what could happen with their life right haha. But then again, I will heed your warnings and not waste my money on this school. Or maybe I'll spend on one ultimate reach school and let God decide 8)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-range-of-gpa-dat-cut-off-scores.1074256/

check out this thread by doc. There's no clear cut off. You have a chance, but it will be a reach. If you feel like your circumstances can make you a competitive applicant, then go ahead and apply. But you have a much higher chance of getting to a school that isn't UPenn (they care about your circumstances, but they just have a higher standard. simple as that)

Maybe look into CT? I can't remember what competitive stats for them are anymore, but I think they favor northeast applicants and your stats do fall within the GPA/DAT range reported in doc's spreadsheet.

Side note: I think you can also get residency there after your first year.

As for how to find out about the schools... I found talking to dental students/asking them specific questions about their programs and their perceptions of other programs helpful.

Reactions: 1 user