I dont know what to do!!! HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so stay with me guys because i really need some broadened opinion about my current situation:

Here is the deal i am a Freshman At my state's university and i majored in Physiology & Neurobiology(PNB). I was pretty determined to keep this major and then prolly minor in a non-science especially Philosophy, or prolly double major in PNB and Philosophy. But what has happened that recently i visited a family friend of my dad's who is an anesthesiologist At MassGen, now this guy's whole family are doctors. His father was a family practitioner, his son is in MS2, his brother is a Neurosurgeon, his other brother is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon, his daughter is a premed. So pretty much the whole family is either doctors or are going to be Doctors.

Now when i told him that i am majoring in PNB, he told me to drop the bio major like a hot potato. he said that it will be hard for me to get A's in advanced level PNB courses like Mammalian Endocrinology, Biochem, Biology of brain and other heavy duty courses that i will have to take in order to complete my major. His son who is in med school also told me to take an easy non-science major, so that i can keep my GPA up, coz according to him Bio major will **** me up. he said that he was a bio major and he knows what its like.

So now i am confused i mean i know that one should major in what they like, i like biology and anatomy, but i dont want those courses to hurt my GPA. Now i don't know what's an easy major? so help me out here guys, what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody here knows your strengths, or what courses you will excel in. Just pick something and do well.

Ok so stay with me guys because i really need some broadened opinion about my current situation:

Here is the deal i am a Freshman At my state's university and i majored in Physiology & Neurobiology(PNB). I was pretty determined to keep this major and then prolly minor in a non-science especially Philosophy, or prolly double major in PNB and Philosophy. But what has happened that recently i visited a family friend of my dad's who is an anesthesiologist At MassGen, now this guy's whole family are doctors. His father was a family practitioner, his son is in MS2, his brother is a Neurosurgeon, his other brother is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon, his daughter is a premed. So pretty much the whole family is either doctors or are going to be Doctors.

Now when i told him that i am majoring in PNB, he told me to drop the bio major like a hot potato. he said that it will be hard for me to get A's in advanced level PNB courses like Mammalian Endocrinology, Biochem, Biology of brain and other heavy duty courses that i will have to take in order to complete my major. His son who is in med school also told me to take an easy non-science major, so that i can keep my GPA up, coz according to him Bio major will **** me up. he said that he was a bio major and he knows what its like.

So now i am confused i mean i know that one should major in what they like, i like biology and anatomy, but i dont want those courses to hurt my GPA. Now i don't know what's an easy major? so help me out here guys, what should i do?

Major in what you want to and work hard. I'm about to graduate with a biochemistry degree and can tell you that I am very happy I didn't choose another major. It's difficult, yes, and you might not have to work as hard at another major, but do what you enjoy and the grades will follow if you work hard enough. With that being said, I did not have to choose a major until later on in my coursework. If this is possible at your school I would suggest waiting on declaring a major and taking the prerequisites you are going to have to take anyway. Early biology and chemistry classes will tell you how well you deal with science, and will generally acclimate you to the harder biochemistry and physiology classes

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in what you want to and work hard. I'm about to graduate with a biochemistry degree and can tell you that I am very happy I didn't choose another major. It's difficult, yes, and you might not have to work as hard at another major, but do what you enjoy and the grades will follow if you work hard enough. With that being said, I did not have to choose a major until later on in my coursework. If this is possible at your school I would suggest waiting on declaring a major and taking the prerequisites you are going to have to take anyway. Early biology and chemistry classes will tell you how well you deal with science, and will generally acclimate you to the harder biochemistry and physiology classes
yeah i like what u are saying. I am taking Calc I, chem I, Bio I and Eng rite now, and as per my major's prereqs i have to take Calc II, Chem II, and Bio II in spring semester 2011. So i was thinking that is it a good idea to take all those courses in spring semester? or should i take courses that will fulfill my Gen ed requirement and will also acquaint me with other potential majors i might be interested in like i was thinking about taking a Philosophy and a Psych class to see whats its like.

yeah i like what u are saying. I am taking Calc I, chem I, Bio I and Eng rite now, and as per my major's prereqs i have to take Calc II, Chem II, and Bio II in spring semester 2011. So i was thinking that is it a good idea to take all those courses in spring semester? or should i take courses that will fulfill my Gen ed requirement and will also acquaint me with other potential majors i might be interested in like i was thinking about taking a Philosophy and a Psych class to see whats its like.

If your class load this semester doesn't seem too hard for you, and you are fairly sure you want to have some sort of biology major, I would continue with the Calc II, Chem II, Bio II, and then add in a philosophy or psych class to see if you like it. Although if you really aren't sure what you want your major to be, it might not hurt to substitute the chem or bio for a psychology class. At my institution, my general education requirements for my pre-health concentration required that I take humanities courses (psychology, philosophy, history, etc.) anyway so it might be possible for you to kill two birds with one stone and get requirements out of the way while figuring out if you like those better. Hope that helps, it really just depends on if you are truly unsure what you want to major in.

yeah i like what u are saying. I am taking Calc I, chem I, Bio I and Eng rite now, and as per my major's prereqs i have to take Calc II, Chem II, and Bio II in spring semester 2011.

go with this, maybe add phil/psych for your fourth course in the spring. explore new options next year (although I'd still take orgo just to get it out of the way)

no one is holding your feet to the fire to elect a major now - may as well defer the decision until you have a better grip on what you thrive on.