i don't know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cleavername

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any medical student here or pre-meds who got accepted into a medical school but have taken a pre-requisite in the summer or winter session? i really want to do this however my school's academic advisor says its not wise. i just want some opinons. so any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

I took physics I in the summer. The only reason I can think they would say it isnt wise is that the course is somewhat "crammed down your throat" during that time - hence, it may be more difficult to get a high grade.

I took physics I in the summer. The only reason I can think they would say it isnt wise is that the course is somewhat "crammed down your throat" during that time - hence, it may be more difficult to get a high grade.

thats scenario #1, #2 is what i am afrid of, which is to say summer and winter classes takes some material out of the class, so you are not getting all of the education we wanted you to have. which makes the class easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive taken courses requirements in the summer. I got in. Actually the summer courses are thought to be "harder" bc you have to cram it in. I dont know what your advisor is thinking really.

But I want to say that it didnt "feel" harder. One class only. Moves quickly. I actually did GREAT in those courses because I stuck to a schedule, hungout with a small group doing the same thing. Good all around in my book. :thumbup:

thats scenario #1, #2 is what i am afrid of, which is to say summer and winter classes takes some material out of the class, so you are not getting all of the education we wanted you to have. which makes the class easier.

I couldn't see the vast majority of med schools even giving it enough of a second thought to even consider that. Plus, your pre-reqs are pretty heavily covered on your MCAT. Your score there can be very telling of your understanding of the pre-reqs.

Personally, I don't find summer courses to be too difficult if you are only taking one or two classes. Yes, it goes faster, but if you only have 1/4 your normal course load it is more than manageable.

my god, from what u guys have said it doesn't seem like its too bad of an idea. i also am thinking of moving my bio lab course to summer session also. because the bio lab course at my school, the 2 semsester sequence is all planned by this one dude. who is notorios or making this 2 credit lab impossibily hard. i heard from my friends tat you are going to writea 10 page write up every time. and alot of the times people get 0 on midterm exams from this lab course lol, that are out of 100.

any medical student here or pre-meds who got accepted into a medical school but have taken a pre-requisite in the summer or winter session? i really want to do this however my school's academic advisor says its not wise. i just want some opinons. so any takers?

I took Physics I and Physics II in one summer. 12 straight weeks of lecture and lab everyday while working in lab. It is doable and, surprisingly, I actually learned physics better than if I had taken it at my university, but was because of the professor.

I'm considering taking o-chem or physics so that my second and 3rd year would be slightly easier. I'm reluctant to take o-chem and physics together my second year.

I took Physics I and Physics II in one summer. 12 straight weeks of lecture and lab everyday while working in lab. It is doable and, surprisingly, I actually learned physics better than if I had taken it at my university, but was because of the professor.

also could be the fact that this was prob the only class u had for 3 months, more concentration may be?

also could be the fact that this was prob the only class u had for 3 months, more concentration may be?

That's a possibility, but I actually took Physics for ~6 weeks during the semester at my university prior to signing up for the summer courses. Professor was pretty terrible. He practically didn't teach, just had cool demonstrations. :lame:

That's a possibility, but I actually took Physics for ~6 weeks during the semester at my university prior to signing up for the summer courses. Professor was pretty terrible. He practically didn't teach, just had cool demonstrations. :lame:

those are usally used to cover bad teaching.

As I pointed out already.

as i dont usally read any one's entire post just the last few sentences, so yea!!!! lol

on a side note, if i appear to have a higher gpa in summer and winter course i took over few years than the courses i took in regular semsters. would that look bad on my transcipt by medical schools?

Totally not an issue. Be aware though, that you may not want to take, for instance, organic chem 1 and 2 the summer between freshman and soph year. This is because by taking it soph year the material is "fresher" for the MCAT. That would be the only reason I can think of, besides financial aid being different, to not take a summer course (pre req or not)