I don't know where to do my interviews, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been blessed with a few interviews, but I'm getting worried where to do them. My home internet is painfully slow and likely to buffer. I don't have a really private space at work, especially if I have to do an all-day interview (which some are). Plus, I'm an MSTP applicant so it's 2 days for me.

I'm a little nervous about it, and I'm wondering if there's anywhere I just haven't thought of to try. Cafes are closed for sitting inside here, libraries are closed, I can't spend all day in personal rooms because they get reserved/we're not allowed to reserve all day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The home of a family member or a good friend are the first two things that come to mind. I've also heard of people parking their car near a WiFi hotspot, such as at a train station or a Starbucks.

Reactions: 2 users
The home of a family member or a good friend are the first two things that come to mind. I've also heard of people parking their car near a WiFi hotspot, such as at a train station or a Starbucks.
This^^^^. Paying for better internet (switching providers?), if available, or imposing on a friend or family are the way to go. However, I really don't think sitting in a car in a business suit all day, hoping the wifi doesn't crap out, is really the way to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are stuck at home with bad internet, you might Zoom and use your cellphone at the same time. Use the phone for audio (mute your computer speakers). That way, if the internet connection goes down, you can still keep talking until it comes back.
(I live in a rural area, so I'm intimately familiar with this issue).

Reactions: 4 users
Don't do public wifi. If it were me, I'd start with my personal connections. If you're affiliated with a university you might be able to reserve a room/study space. Or you could ask the alumni/career development office if there is a campus space you could use. If you have a close colleague or you're close with your supervisor you might ask if there is an available private office or small conference space you could use. A lot of offices are pretty empty these days (at least where I am). There's got to be a vacant office or study room nearby somewhere. Librarians are always helpful - even if the library is closed, they may know of other community spaces. Non-profits or work-share places sometimes have rooms open to the public as well.

lol people passing by would be like: "wtf is this person doing sitting in their car all day dressed up?" :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Airbnb or Hotel if you have $$ and want a stable place for interviews

Reactions: 3 users
Check if you can get high speed internet connection at a promotional rate by switching to different company or asking your current provider.

Why didn’t anyone suggest trying harder to get a place at work?

Because that's quite an imposition on an employer conducting a business (all day over multiple days), and he might not want to let them know what he's up to.

As OP said they are all day interviews, so not sure if a work place can reserve a conference room whole day for OP and repeat it multiple times.

Because that's quite an imposition on an employer conducting a business (all day over multiple days), and he might not want to let them know what he's up to.

quite an imposition for quite a significant interview

quite an imposition for quite a significant interview
???? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I'm saying it takes a lot of nerve to ask a place of business to allow you to conduct personal business for full days at a time, on their premises using their facilities, particularly when the end result will be your leaving said business. Perfectly fine if it's your family business; not so much otherwise.

Most businesses would not be so willing to say, "Let's all be quiet and give @readmypostsMD use of the conference room all day whenever he needs it for the next few months. It's really important to him. Make sure IT sets him up with everything he needs." They'd be far more likely to say, "Good luck! Will that be a vacation day or unpaid time off?"

Yeah, it's significant. That's what we have mommies and daddies and other family and friends and significant others for. Employers? Not so much!!

• Haha
???? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I'm saying it takes a lot of nerve to ask a place of business to allow you to conduct personal business for full days at a time, on their premises using their facilities, particularly when the end result will be your leaving said business. Perfectly fine if it's your family business; not so much otherwise.

Most businesses would not be so willing to say, "Let's all be quiet and give @readmypostsMD use of the conference room all day whenever he needs it for the next few months. It's really important to him. Make sure IT sets him up with everything he needs." They'd be far more likely to say, "Good luck! Will that be a vacation day or unpaid time off?"

Yeah, it's significant. That's what we have mommies and daddies and other family and friends and significant others for. Employers? Not so much!!

Lmao I’m saying it’s worth it to ask bro. Huge upside, little downside

Lmao I’m saying it’s worth it to ask bro. Huge upside, little downside
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Downside is the risk of my boss thinking I have terrible judgment for having the nerve to ask if I could use his facilities, during business hours while I'm not working, to interview for my next professional opportunity. I actually think it's tiny upside (very unlikely to go well) with huge downside (being fired for lacking professional judgment).

I think time to close another thread.