I don't know where to take my premed courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dino05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new here and am really hoping you guys will be able to help me out!

So I feel like this is going to be a it complicated, but I am going to try to make it easy to understand.. Basically, I did unfortunately not realize I wanted to be a physician until I was already halfway done with college. I transferred to a university from a CC last fall, and my first semester I took a few premed courses (I had already taken a few at the CC as well), but then I realized that if I both took premed courses and my major coursework (I had already completed a lot of psychology courses, so I decided to continue with getting my BA in psych) I would take three years to graduate from the university. Woudn't be a problem, just five years of undergrad which isn't that bad, except the fact that I decided to go to school out of state, and it's expensive and I did not want my parents to have to keep paying that kind of tuition, and I really am not enjoying living 3000 miles away either, to be honest. So I decided to go ahead with my BA in psych, which meant I would graduate a semester early, and then take my premed courses afterwards, that way I could also focus better on each subject. Possibly a bad idea..

I am getting my psych BA in December, but I have only taken chem 1, microbiology, a year of biology, and precalc. Hence, I still need a semester of chem and a year of physics, ochem, and calc. I was going to go to a college in California and get a second BA in biology (I'm a resident), but found that many schools don't allow post-bacs to even apply. Then I emailed two different schools, one said to take them through open enrollment and one said to apply to grad school. Open enrollment seems.. uncertain. Apparently I can only get into classes where there is still room (does that ever happen?) and get approval from the professor, and I'm not sure how med schools feel about an applicant having taken courses without even being enrolled. Grad school I haven't looked into, but I doubt I've taken enough science to get into a MS program or something, I do have a bio minor though. Community college would be a super easy solution, but I have been recommended not do that. Staying at my current university does not seem to be an option, I already applied for graduation anyways.

So that was long, and if you read all that and have some advice that'd be great, because it feels like a mess!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take my pre-med classes until after my undergrad, and I'm going to forwarn as I was never forwarned. The prospects for non-loan financial aid go out the window at some schools for students who are still considered undergraduates but have earned a bachelor's degree. I was not eligible for scholarships offered by my second undergrad, nor was I eligible for the Pell grant any longer.

I would look into specific post-bac pre-med programs. Look here https://services.aamc.org/postbac/ for some, and they would have more info for each individual one.

GTG. FIRE ALARM.... :/

Take your premed courses at your state school where you can get in-state tuition. DO NOT TAKE THEM AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE. It is a red flag for admissions people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take your premed courses at your state school where you can get in-state tuition. DO NOT TAKE THEM AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE. It is a red flag for admissions people.
No, it isn't. Now, I would still recommend that you take them at a university, but it's not a red flag.

EDIT: Actually, take them where you're most comfortable, and think you can do best. A high GPA is more important than where you took your classes at.

Strong caps lock key. Have you even graduated from high school?

Isn't he right, though? Wouldn't you really have to make up for doing your pre-med coursework at a community college by having an incredible MCAT score as well as epic ECs? Maybe I'm wrong, but it's what I've heard. Hopefully the misconception can be cleared up.

I'm not hating on CCs at all, but I just feel like the coursework would be less challenging there than a 4-year university, so ADCOMs would definitely take it into consideration.

Thanks for the responses.. I think I may do a master's program in biology. Good idea or no? Would I be able to take my chem/physics/calc courses during that time?

Isn't he right, though? Wouldn't you really have to make up for doing your pre-med coursework at a community college by having an incredible MCAT score as well as epic ECs? Maybe I'm wrong, but it's what I've heard. Hopefully the misconception can be cleared up.

I'm not hating on CCs at all, but I just feel like the coursework would be less challenging there than a 4-year university, so ADCOMs would definitely take it into consideration.
There have been multiple instances here on SDN during this admissions cycle of individuals getting into multiple schools and doing pre-reqs at CC. Yes, some schools do have problems with it, but most schools don't really care. Now, my recommendation is to go where you're comfortable. That's where you'll get the highest GPA, and that will be more important than anything.

I've definitely heard from more than one advisor to take classes at a 4year college (state university or private) over a community college. Those classes have a higher chance of being more rigorous than a CC.

I've definitely heard from more than one advisor to take classes at a 4year college (state university or private) over a community college. Those classes have a higher chance of being more rigorous than a CC.

There's many advisors who say many different things... I'm sure 4-year credits look better than CC just as a harvard grad looks better than a random state school... but a 3.9 CC will look better than a 3.6 4-year... plus, everyone HAS to end up at 4-year school eventually anyways. Considering many applicants are science majors, it all comes together in the end with upper division science classes...

If you're not a science major, then maybe wait to take some pre-req's at the uni... otherwise do whatever you want and the MCAT is the great equalizer.

In the game that is med school admissions, do you want the pre-req's to be more rigorous? If the name of the game is to aim for high GPA and MCAT while juggling 15 EC's, wouldn't it be to your advantage to take the "less rigorous" classes?

Before all the self-righteous pre-meds jump in and say, "How terrible! Why would you take the easy way out! You will be a horrible doctor!" Haven't many medical students on these forums said that most of the pre-reqs are unnecessary for med school material and you just end up forgetting most of it?