I Don't Know Why I Love You,,, But I Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lennybruce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say my reasons are quite so empty as yours, but I really want to go to NYU or MSSM, even though I know very little about the schools. I really just want to live in New York, and I'd go pretty much anywhere if it was there. And hey, I heard MSSM's anatomy lab overlooks Central Park. That's pretty awesome, even for a girl who doesn't care much about nature. Haha

Good luck, I hope you at least get an interview from Rochester!

haha, that's a funny description of Rochester's name. on their website, their curriculum looks great and they have a "why would you want to live in rochester" video that makes rochester look like paradise on earth. i kind of have the same warm fuzzies about that school, too, actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, that's a funny description of Rochester's name. on their website, their curriculum looks great and they have a "why would you want to live in rochester" video that makes rochester look like paradise on earth. i kind of have the same warm fuzzies about that school, too, actually.

Have you got any word from roch? interview invite or anything. And may I add, I stopped in a convenience store in rochester at 1am and I've never had a nicer lady selling me candy.

It is just so funny how some things just compound on each other. Like I had small hopes about the school that made be really love the things I heard and saw, which gave me large hopes. And those large hopes made me see the city in a great light. I wonder what I would think if I drove through there thinking it would stink.

Kind of scares me that so much of this process may come down to gut feelings. When you have no tie to specific locations or curriculum or standing, who knows what will peak your fancy and if it really means anything in the long run

I wouldn't say my reasons are quite so empty as yours, but I really want to go to NYU or MSSM, even though I know very little about the schools. I really just want to live in New York, and I'd go pretty much anywhere if it was there. And hey, I heard MSSM's anatomy lab overlooks Central Park. That's pretty awesome, even for a girl who doesn't care much about nature. Haha

Good luck, I hope you at least get an interview from Rochester!

Thats pretty obvious otherwise you probably wouldn't consider central park a marvel of nature :]

I feel this way about some med schools in the South. I have only visited a few southern states, but for some reason I really like the idea of living and going to school there. I have no good explanation for it.

For me its Columbia. I've been obsessed with this school for no good reason ever since I was like 7. I think it all started when Carol Sever from the Growing Pains got in for undergrad. Ever since then its been the school for me.

Thats pretty obvious otherwise you probably wouldn't consider central park a marvel of nature :]
By nature I mean being outside in general. I much prefer the luxury of a/c or heat to the great outdoors. Not to mention I'm terrified of bees and other stinging insects.

For me, it's Loyola. I applied almost entirely to schools in the East, particularly in the South, but the longer I live here the more I get the urge to get out of Virginia.

you do know loyola isnt in the city.

I applied to UNC-CH despite that I knew it was basically a guaranteed rejection. I got it in my head as a kid that I had to go (part the pictures of the campus, part MJ, part I'm not even sure). I guess I'm still kicking myself for not applying undergrad.

It would be supercool if they did interview me:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane. Honestly I want to go their because a family friend once said the name in his warm Texan accent and I was sold. Tulane. Yup. Prolly won't even hear from them except for the rejection, but it's been Tulane for me since I was young. Other than that I've always known I would apply to the U of U. Not just because I live in Utah, but because my uncle went there while I was 7 and he lived at home with my grandparents while he went. I lived there, too, and would sneak down and look at his medical school stuff and just know I wanted to go to med school at my uncle's school.

For me its Columbia. I've been obsessed with this school for no good reason ever since I was like 7. I think it all started when Carol Sever from the Growing Pains got in for undergrad. Ever since then its been the school for me.

:laugh: hilarious. Someone should make a website program where Carol Sever randomly picks the med school for you.

I think 7 is the age for this stuff. a couple people have said "when I was 7, someone hit me in the mouth while playing darts, and so it has always been dartmouth for me."

U Michigan surprised me immensely (in a good way of course). Their admissions staff is the most organized and progressive I've ever seen. Constant email updates, an online admissions chat with the director, AMAZING fast turnaround decision within one week of interview, very generous scholarships. The city was very nice and upscale and the hospitals looked new and clean. Students also seemed to have a lot of fun and lots and lots of free time. (I don't know how that works at all, how do you have that much free time in med school?) Anyways, it definitely caught my attention.

I applied to UNC-CH despite that I knew it was basically a guaranteed rejection. I got it in my head as a kid that I had to go (part the pictures of the campus, part MJ, part I'm not even sure). I guess I'm still kicking myself for not applying undergrad.

It would be supercool if they did interview me:love:

I already know why I want to go to my top choice... I just wanted to keep the love for Chapel Hill going in this thread. :love: Good luck to you!

For me it was Loyola. As soon as I interviewed, I just felt a "click" it was weird. I even made the irrational decision to withdraw my applications and interviews to other schools after getting my acceptance because I just felt that there could be nowhere as perfect.

Oh - and if anybody is wondering... as an MS2, I still feel the same way.

Rochester! i love it. love it love it love it : )

Creighton! A friend of mine got a 43-45 on her MCAT (13-15 Verbal) about six years ago. Applied to about 10 schools, got into all 10. She loved Creighton, considered going there. Even though she ended up not going there because she had a Fiance/now husband in another city who couldn't move she still talks about it as being this wonderful place.

:laugh: hilarious. Someone should make a website program where Carol Sever randomly picks the med school for you.

I think 7 is the age for this stuff. a couple people have said "when I was 7, someone hit me in the mouth while playing darts, and so it has always been dartmouth for me."

Holy crap, you just made my roommates look at me funny because I burst out laughing.

I feel this way about Columbia, because my dad did a lot of research at Columbia and was always raving about the school back when I was young and impressionable. They also have the hospital for special surgery. Dude, come on. Who wouldn't love to go there?

Hm, I guess I dont have any schools that I dont have a good reason to go to. I also dont have a top choice, really. Keck would be awesome b/c of the opportunity to continue my research and the fact that I could just stay in the same apt, but well see I guess.

Have you got any word from roch? interview invite or anything. And may I add, I stopped in a convenience store in rochester at 1am and I've never had a nicer lady selling me candy.

It is just so funny how some things just compound on each other. Like I had small hopes about the school that made be really love the things I heard and saw, which gave me large hopes. And those large hopes made me see the city in a great light. I wonder what I would think if I drove through there thinking it would stink.

Kind of scares me that so much of this process may come down to gut feelings. When you have no tie to specific locations or curriculum or standing, who knows what will peak your fancy and if it really means anything in the long run

no, no word from rochester after my "complete" email what seems like months ago. actually, it may actually have been months ago.

you know, i picked my undergrad school based entirely on gut feeling. that was literally the only thing that made me choose it. and i think i made a wonderful choice. i was very, very happy there and i got an excellent education. so i think going on gut feeling is just as good as going on pro/con lists and, oh, i don't know, rationality. :)

Mount Sinai...dunno what it is about them, but they just have the IT factor.

I have a few- Cornell, Vanderbilt, Brown

An acceptance at any of these three would make my head spin in a fabulous way. I'm in LOVE.

Northwestern Feinberg.
U of Chicago Pritzker.

Those are my two dream schools. If I get into either one, I don't know how I will react.

Really? Mount Sinai brings the exact opposite feeling for me. I should start another thread on schools that make you feel like someone punched you in the stomach, and you have no idea why. But you applied anyway because you know that it is a good school. Mount Sinai is that way for me.

Its got to be something petty. I think it is the name. "Mount" makes me go, 'eh, I have to climb a mountain now'. Then Sinai is too close to cyanide. I guess it is a good analogy for medical school: its like climbing a mountain of cyanide.

Haha, I see where you're coming from...there are definitely a few schools that elicited that same reaction from me. Just not Sinai :D

I feel this way about some med schools in the South. I have only visited a few southern states, but for some reason I really like the idea of living and going to school there. I have no good explanation for it.

If you are fascinated by the South, then apply to the University of Alabama med school. 92,000 people attended the intra-squad Spring practice football game at Alabama. Big tail gate parties, the works. 92,000 is a world record for Spring football. It is an interesting culture.

wcmc_logo.gif

Haha, yeah, their emblem is actually quite silly - is that a funny-face mask in the upper right hand? But I didn't have a picture of their AdComm handy so it had to do. Now if only they would show me as much love as I have them...

1.) USC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.) Dartmouth
3.) UCSF

Washington U.... location location location! I think thats important .. whos with me?

Mt. Sinai. Alas... they don't seem to have the same warm fuzzy for me.

I'd be happy with an acceptance into any NYC school, though, including AECOM.

wcmc_logo.gif

Haha, yeah, their emblem is actually quite silly - is that a funny-face mask in the upper right hand? But I didn't have a picture of their AdComm handy so it had to do. Now if only they would show me as much love as I have them...

200px-Cornell_emblem.png

it's totally not a funny face mask...it's an image of lake cayuga (one of the finger lakes) that the campus looks down over.

but it's definitely not as lame as:

ziats%20fig3%20.jpg

but i still want to go there...:oops: