I don't like L&D nurses because...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you think i' m an ego maniac because you have a low self esteem. I wasnt trying to throw my weight around, i seriously wanted an 18 g. I never ever ever. start a c section with anything less.. NEVER.. Do i have to go over all the reasons why NOT to?? the nurse knows that too. Every patient at first stick before induction of labor gets and 18 g. this nurse tried to get away with somthing by putting a 20 in cause she didnt wanna put an 18 g in. You havent done enough cases pal, maybe a mini fellowship is in order.

So you'll hold on a crash C-Section for a prolapsed cord until the nurse puts in an 18ga?

Members don't see this ad.

So you'll hold on a crash C-Section for a prolapsed cord until the nurse puts in an 18ga?

i wouldnt have to hold if she had done it before hand

Members don't see this ad :)
I like to roll with two 20s and a 24G in a scalp vein myself. Regards, ---Zippy

do not feed the troll!

Actaully, I don't think he's trolling.

I'm not sure I agree with the timing and the length of time that Maceo's stand took with regard to the case, but I am sorry, I, too, sometimes practice in an environment where the power wielded by nurses has swung too far, and sometimes gets manifested as a lack of accountability for actions (such as a failure to do basic nursing procedures in a timely fashion, or a blatant disregard for physician requests out of a misplaced belief that 'nurse knows best' how to serve the patient). AND I HAVE A GREAT RELATIONSHIP WITH THE NURSING STAFF (at least, that's what I hear come evaluation time). I work at it. I pick my battles, and they're few and far between. I have to say, I've never had to throw a conniption, but an occasional 'sticking to my guns' on a particular request that met some resistance has been known to occur.

Sometimes, a little pushback that seems a little out of proportion when that single case is viewed with a snapshot, is actually an appropriate re-alignment of physician autonomy provided no patient is harmed. Patient comes first, but other factors need not be excluded.

Last edited:
Just to help you feel better (and to vent a little)
Nurse with prep stick for C-section belly- Me holding the uterus off of the vena cava with my hand while resident gives pressors for 50s SBP after spinal- "are you doing anything important or can I start prepping".

Another-As we are about to slide a crash c/s over to the table, my resident asks the pt to open her mouth (airway exam) and the OB nurse yells "we don't have time for that!" I got written up for my reaction to that one.

When asked to do a saddle block spinal in the labor room for an episiotomy repair I said we have to have standard ASA monitors and OB nurse says incredulously "you need all that for THIS?"

L&D nurses demanding that our residents put morphine in our c/s spinals even though there are contra-indications in a given patient. And then talking to their head nurse when my resident didn't do it.

I have several more, but you get the picture why I am happy that I no longer have to go up there.

WOW! Sue them! They're interfering with your practice of Medicine, and possibly endangering the patient's life, and also putting your career and license at risk. At the least, it should be a sentinel event- take her (or him but unlikely) out of L & D!